It’s Day 12 of the 21 Days to a Simple Christmas Challenge! And today we’re talking about one of my favorite things — Christmas music!
Christmas would not be Christmas to me without wonderful Christmas music playing in the background. When I was growing up, we always had a special stack of Christmas records and cassettes (yes, remember those?) that we pulled out to play only at Christmas time. Pulling out the Christmas records and cassettes always signaled that Christmas time was really here.
We decorated the Christmas tree, baked cookies for the neighbors, made homemade gifts for the grandparents, drank hot cocoa, wrapped Christmas presents, and celebrated our family gatherings with Christmas music playing in the background. It set the tone for so many special memories.
Today, we’ve traded the records and cassettes for MP3s, but Christmas still wouldn’t be the same without the music. I like to buy a new album or two each year to add to our family’s collection. And then we rotate playing our Christmas music all December long.
Here are five of my favorite Christmas albums:
He is Born — This CD is by my sister so I happen to be a little biased. You can listen to sample clips from most of the songs here. You can listen to one of the complete songs here (and yes, that’s my sister playing the harp!)
Free Music Downloads:
- Free GreenHill Christmas Music Album
- Create a Christmas station on Pandora
- Jim Brickman Holiday downloads
- Free 3-song Celtic Christmas download
- Free Amazon Christmas Music downloads
What are some of your family’s favorite Christmas albums or songs? I’d love to find new ones to add to our list of favorites!
Day 12 Project & Update
1. If you didn’t do so yesterday, read chapter 7 from Celebrating & Savoring a Simple Christmas if you didn’t get a chance to read it yet. (Did you sign up for your free copy yet? If not, click here and fill out the form to be emailed a copy.)
2. Download some Christmas music and play it in your home/car over the next two weeks.
Our Update: We’ve been playing Christmas music since November! However, most of that had just been MP3′s. I pulled out all our Christmas CDs today for us to rotate through over the next two weeks.