I have always been a total pancake aficionado. I love pancakes, because you can almost always tweak the recipe to be wholesome and nutritious.
For as long as I can remember, pancakes have been a regular weekly breakfast item for us. I know what you’re thinking. Pancakes? On rushed weekday mornings?
Yes, absolutely! Because here’s a little secret…you can totally make pancakes ahead of time, freeze them, and pull them out for a tasty breakfast when you’re craving them — even on a busy morning!
That’s right. Pancakes don’t have to be saved for special weekend mornings anymore. 😉
Here are my 7 favorite Make-Ahead Freezer-Friendly Pancakes Recipes (and you might notice — ahem — how much we love chocolate chips in this household)…
If you add chocolate chips to this batter, you don’t even need to use syrup on it. But if you want to make these more amazing, smother them in syrup and lots of butter. And it’s a like a little piece of heaven on a plate!
2. Whole Wheat Chocolate Pancakes — This recipe was adapted from an old issue of Kiwi magazine, and our family loves it for a little twist on the usual pancakes!
3. Whole Wheat Blender Pancakes — If you’re looking for a wholesome and yummy pancakes recipe that doesn’t have any sweetener in it, this one is for you!
4. Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pancakes — These pancakes are delicious straight from the griddle or served cold as a snack (well, our family might be the only people who thinks they are yummy cold, because we’re weird like that!). I usually triple the recipe so that we have plenty leftover to freeze.
5. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes — This is a hearty and yummy pancakes recipe that freezes and reheats really well, and I love the addition of pumpkin for something different!
6. Peanut Butter Protein Pancakes — I started making these for Jesse when he first started working out and had really ambitious fitness goals. They are packed with protein and have a nutritious punch!
7. Oatmeal Pecan Pancakes — This recipe comes from my sister Brigette. These pancakes are a little bit healthier and a whole lot heartier than traditional pancakes, making them especially yummy during the cold winter months. They are fairly simple to make, but the toasted pecans add that “special” factor.
A few tips on making pancakes…
Get yourself a griddle. Seriously, it makes pancake recipes SO much easier. You can whip up a huge batch for the family at one time! This one is a really great budget-friendly option — and it’s even on sale right now!
Not a fan of reheated pancakes (or eating them straight from the freezer the way we crazies do!)? Try this Make Ahead Pancake Batter method or this Homemade Baking Mix. These will at least takes a few steps out of the process, so that the mix is ready to go on those mornings you want pancakes.
Pancake making can be educational! It’s a fantastic and fun way to reinforce the shapes and sounds of letters with young children. We used to make Pancake Letters & Numbers all the time with our kids while they were growing up. And the best part? It’s really frugal!
Looking for other freezer-friendly recipe ideas? Try these:
- 9 Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Recipes to Simplify Your Mornings
- My Top 7 Favorite Freezer-Friendly Muffin Recipes (Plus Grain-Free Options!)
- 8 Delicious & Healthy Freezer-Friendly Snack Ideas
What are some of your family’s favorite pancake recipes? I’d love to hear!