Guest post from Rosanna:
My life has felt crazy busy lately… and this Fall, it got a little crazier!
Along with being a wife, mother to 3, gardener, entrepreneur, and helping with the farmette we’ve been blessed with, I gained the title of ‘teacher’ when we began homeschooling our 2nd and 3rd graders.
I knew we needed a good start to our days or they could be utter chaos… so I started with the idea of make-ahead breakfasts!
My 7 year old and I put the breakfasts together one day a week, and it is AMAZING to have homemade yummy breakfasts ready to pop in the oven or warm in the microwave or toaster as soon as we wake up in the morning!
Here’s how we prepared for our little cooking marathon:
1. Make a list of breakfast foods our family enjoys (specifically ones that can be made ahead.)
2. Make the list of groceries we’ll need and head to the store.
3. Set aside an hour or two to prep your breakfasts.
The mixes took my 7 year old merely minutes to throw together in bags.
The waffles, english muffins and bread (which I made from start to finish) took a bit longer.
Many of these recipes could actually be completely cooked and then frozen, but we prefer some things (like pancakes) made fresh, so the mixes worked great for our family!
These are the breakfast items we made (times 4)
1. Sourdough english muffins (we eat these with poached eggs)
2. Sourdough waffles (completely cooked, and then frozen)
3. Pancake mix– we have our favorite recipe completely memorized, so all I do when I make it is add eggs, vanilla, sour cream or greek yogurt to the mix, and voila, fresh, melt in your mouth pancakes!
4. Baked oatmeal mix — add wet ingredients the night before.
5. Steel cut baked oatmeal mix — just add the wet ingredients the night before.
6. Granola — we all love it served with homemade yogurt, and fresh fruit.
7. Homemade bread — I always keep it in the freezer for french toast, eggs and toast, etc.
With just one afternoon of prep, we had approximately 20 breakfasts well on their way to being made, and it saved me SO MUCH TIME!
I am planning to do another breakfast day very soon, and invite you to consider joining me in feeding our families nutritious, hot breakfasts in a stress free way!
I live with my wonderful husband and children in beautiful Lancaster, Pennsylvania. We raise our own meat and vegetables, and I have a passion for good food:). I work from home, homeschool, and enjoy my country life! I would love to connect with you on instagram.