Gretchen’s $55 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan

1 package Power Greens – Marked down to $1.85

1 bag Organic Potatoes – $2.49

2 packages Kroger Cheese – $1.77 each

1 package Kraft Cheese Sticks – $2.84

1 package Kroger Tortillas – $1.59

Items a part of the Mega Sale (Buy 5, Get $5 off instantly):

2 Herbal Essence Body Wash – $1.99, used 2 $1/1 catalina coupons – $0.99 each after coupons

1 bag Fritos Chips – $1.49

2 Kraft Salad Dressing – $1.49, used 2 $0.75/1 printable - $0.74 each after coupons

Total before coupons and sales: $74.56

Total with tax ($3.61) after coupons and sales: $50.61

Total for all grocery items: $55.38

Menu Plan for this Week

Breakfasts

Cereal, Easy Pancake Bites, Fruit Smoothies (from frozen fruit), Scrambled Eggs

Lunches

Tossed Salad, Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches, Macaroni and Cheese, Cheese/Crackers/Veggies, Leftovers

Dinners

Build Your Own Haystacks, Peas

Hamburgers (using frozen patties my parents gave us), Chips, Cantaloupe

Chicken & Rice Casserole, Steamed Broccoli, Tossed Salad

Salad Bar, 30 Minute Rolls

Stuffed Peppers, Blueberry Muffins, Cantaloupe

Baked Potatoes, Steamed Broccoli

Waffles, Eggs, Homemade Hashbrowns

Comments

1. Becky says

Nice job! How do you get your brown rice done. Mine is always “crunchy” no matter how long I cook it. I have been using the instant brown rice.

• Jamie says

Google Alton Browns brown rice recipe. He has you baking it in the oven. It’s fabulous!!

• Gretchen says

I don’t use instant as I have found it is often crunchy like you said. I use twice as much water as rice and cook it for about 45 min. I’ve never had a problem with it being undercooked this way.

I’ve never heard of haystacks before but they look delicious! Any recipe calling for Fritos as an ingredient is aces in my book.

3. Julie says

My family of 5 (2 teens and 1 tween + dog and cat) spend $400-$500/month on all food and household goods. We have a garden and fruit trees/bushes and shop mostly at Aldi’s. I know I could spend less but my family HATES eating the same things over and over. I have more than 100 meals that I rotate through. Considering this is making every meal a day at home, from scratch, nothing processed and absolutely NO eating out – I think we do pretty well.

Would you please share with me your recipe for fruit smoothies. I just bought frozen fruit in the bags, hoping to make smoothies. Thanks

• Gretchen says

I usually just throw in whatever fruit we have on hand (frozen and fresh – strawberries, blueberries, bananas and grapes are some of our favorites!), add milk and a little bit of vanilla extract. If I have sour cream or yogurt I will put that in as well. I hope that helps!

5. Laura says

Just curious how long a shopping trip like this takes you, Crystal. Do you prep everything at home and make a quick trip, or are you looking for unexpected deals at the store? I feel like grocery shopping with coupons takes me a long time!