Gretchen’s $50 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan

1 gallon Milk – $2.69

3 Cucumbers – $0.49 each

Total with tax ($1.65): $24.76

DSC_0171
Dillons

2.6 lbs Bananas @ $0.59/lb – $1.53

2 Herdez Salsa – $0.79 each, used 2 $0.50/1 printable - $0.29 each after coupons

0.63 lbs Broccoli @ $1.59/lb – $1

1 Breyers Ice Cream – $2.99

1 Lettuce – $0.99

1 Clif Bar – $1, used Free catalina coupon – Free after coupon

1 Kroger Brown Rice – $1

2 Dole Fruit Squishem’s – $2 each, used $1/1 coupon from the 4/27 SmartSource insert – $1 each after coupons

3 Navel Oranges – $0.75 each (I’ll get $0.25 back from Checkout 51.)

1 Kroger Applesauce – $2.29

1 Green Pepper – $0.99

2 Pineapple – $0.99 each

Items a part of the Mega Sale (Buy 4, Get $4 off instantly):

4 Kraft Cheese – $1.99 each, used 2 $1/2 printable - $1.49 each after coupons

Total before coupons and sales: $42.44

Total with tax $1.68) after coupons and sales: $25.24

Total for all grocery items: $50

Menu Plan for this Week

Breakfasts

Cereal, Egg Sandwiches, Homemade Granola, Oatmeal and Applesauce

Lunches

Macaroni and Cheese, Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches, Cheese/Fruit/Veggies x 2, Scrambled Eggs

Dinners

BBQ Meatballs (using deer meat), Biscuits, Green Beans

Spaghetti, Tossed Salad

Beans and Rice, Fruit Salad

Pancakes, Eggs, Hashbrowns

Salad Bar, Homemade Bread

Chicken Fajitas, Chips and Salsa, Fruit Salad

Leftovers

Comments

1. Lori Ewart says

Sure do miss those double coupons at Dillions and other Kroger affiliates. When you post pictures, I always manage to see deals that I missed on my trip. :(

Those are some amazing prices. Blackberries are $4 on sale for that size container here. I grow my own so that I can have some.

Sales are not good here this week, but I imagine we’ll see some deals at the end of the month for Memorial Day. My plan is to keep eating from the garden (we’re picking lettuce every day now, plus lots of other things) and stock up on some bulk items (popcorn, flour) from Sam’s Club.

This month we’ll harvest lettuce, Swiss chard, green onions, turnips, parsley, rosemary, blackberries, peaches, chives, tarragon, oregano, green onions, tomatoes (I picked 4 yesterday), and possibly zucchini.

3. Charity says

I always enjoy seeing the deals you’re able to score! You do an amazing job! :)

4. Mandi says

Thank you for showing that you can get healthy food and still save money. I see so many people posting pictures of food they saved tons of money on, but it is all stuff I would never buy- frozen dinners, processed food, candy, etc. I never understood the point of over buying food, just because it was on sale.

5. Janice says

Wow on the Aldi’s price for milk! I paid $3.34 for 2% milk yesterday. Of course, it’s even higher priced at other stores.

I absolutely love Aldi for fresh produce, I stock up on the .99 strawberries and freeze part of them for smoothies. They also have bags of baby spinach for $1.79 a bag. A lot of great produce buys at Aldi, and it keeps really well too.

7. sadrac says

Never thought of Aldi, but $0.99 fruit and cost for milk am sold my kid and I eat lots of it sometimes it’s so expensive. Actually starting a garden to grown my own of several fruit/veggies we eat. This was helpful Thxs everyone

8. stacey says

love seeing real food being used :)…on deer meat meatballs…(we have 3 deer in our freezer)…some of ours has a “gamey” taste…any suggestions….(we were given one of the deer, put it in freezer with others, now we don’t know which packets are “weird”)

• Feech says

For roasts, throw in some whole carrots (along with vinegar and other seasonings) and remove the carrots at the end of the pot-roasting time. It won’t hurt the mild roasts, and can cut gaminess in the others.

• Gretchen says

This is why I do BBQ meatballs…the BBQ sauce helps tremendously in covering up the gamey taste. :)

• Lori says

Garlic will help take care of the gamey taste in venison too. I am not a venison fan, but am learning to tolerate it. Now my husband just needs to get one (its been a few years).

9. Barb says

Wow. That’s crazy. In Canada, a 4L of milk costs about $5.00. All those groceries would be about $125.00 and that wouldn’t include any meat for the week.