Eating From the Pantry: Day 5

Eating From the Pantry

Yesterday was a hard day. We had to say goodbye to a very dear friend who is one of my children’s closest friends. They’d been dreading this day for quite awhile, so I tried to come up with some fun things we could do to cheer them up. I decided we’d make a run to Sonic for drinks… not exactly eating from the pantry, but it definitely helped cheer some sad children up.

Eating From the Pantry

It was also one of those days that was full and busy and eating good meals altogether at the table didn’t really happen. It was more one of those eat-on-the-run days. It isn’t what I’d recommend, but it’s just what happens sometimes.

What we ate (yes, I know, kind of a pathetic list of unhealthy foods… just keeping it real here, though!):

Breakfast: Baked Oatmeal

Lunch: Chips, Muffins (from a friend), Salad

Snack: Ice Cream Cake, Drinks from Sonic

Dinner: Chips & Salsa (Jesse was gone, I was tired, and well, my plans for making pancakes & eggs just didn’t pan out!)

Eating From the Pantry

Are you eating from the pantry this week? If you are, leave a comment telling us what you ate today. Or, if you’re blogging about this challenge, leave a link to your direct blog post below that details what you ate for the Pantry Challenge today. I can’t wait to see your creative ideas!

Comments

1. anon says

Chips and salsa? Haha. I came home from work dead tired one night, there was little in the fridge, so we popped a bunch of popcorn. It was yummy!

2. KS says

That ice cream cake looks amazing!:-) bet that was great. And chips and salsa for supper isn’t so bad- we have done that before! Things are busy for you getting ready to move- don’t feel bad:-)

3. Kathleen Aispuro says

I have spent years eating from the pantry. I raised six children for the most part as a single parent so it was always a case of making meals stretch. Following recipes is not one of my strong points except when baking. I think that too many people feel they need to follow a recipe exactly how it is written and don’t realize that they can easily improvise, Keep things on hand that can be used in numerous meals. If I was running short on milk, I would slip in some powdered milk to stretch it until I could get to the store. Sometimes I would do this at night when the kids didn’t see, otherwise they would say it tasted funny. What I am saying is try out new ideas for making things last.

• Kim says

I’m always adapting recipes. I often add up to 1/2 water when milk is called for in pancakes, biscuits, etc. I’ve also substituted chicken broth for milk in some cream soups. Someone told me a while back that they didn’t have money for milk on cereal. Think of Chex mix. Cereal doesn’t require milk. Most cereal tastes great dry & can be an inexpensive snack when purchased with coupons &/or rebates.

4. Tracy says

When I was a kid, we had healthy sit down meals every night of the week- except Sunday! That was a night where we would eat whatever we wanted to fix for ourselves. Sometimes leftovers, but more often just popcorn or cereal. And occasionally we would even go to Dairy Queen for ice cream for dinner on a summer Sunday after church ;-) It’s a great childhood memory.

Crystal, thanks so much for keeping it real! We all have busy crazy days when our best intentions go out the window. We just have to give ourselves extra grace and keep pushing through.
    Best wishes as you make the big move! :)

6. Marie says

Seeing our children’s pain is the hardest thing as moms! Good for you for trying to find something (inexpensive) to cheer them up. You set your goals for the week so you get to decide to flex them! We, as moms, need to give ourselves a break. You’re doing great in the midst of a BIG change!

Yes, it’s been really hard to see my children have to say goodbye to people they love dearly!! They have been so brave and sweet, but we’re trying be really sensitive to their needs during this time of transition and to talk openly about the sadness they feel.

{If any of you moms have suggestions or tips on how you’ve helped your children through times of transition/moving, etc., I’d love to hear.}

• Beth says

Crystal, You’re always saying you wish you could just fly out and give a reader who is going through a tough time a big hug! I hope you know your readers now wish the same for you!

I don’t have any great solutions for helping kids to make the transition, but I with our moves, my son benefited from picking a transition object. He developed learned to a special relationships with people, for example writing/receiving special letters from aunts, grandparents, etc. and keeping a special friend photo album that he can use to look at pics. of his friends. None of these are great solutions, and sadness is normal, but they helped us!

Beth: This comment meant so much to me. Thank you for blessing me today. And thank you for the great ideas — especially the transition object and special friend photo albums.

• Ann says

Also, if you haven’t done so already, set up a Skype account and encourage your childrens’ friends to also. It has really helped my children transition by being able to talk to their friends and see them–in fact, sometimes they will set up Skype and “play” together (polly pockets, touring around the house, etc)

• Rachael says

We went through a similar move about three years ago–we lived near close friends and family and then moved about 10 hours away. It was very hard at first, but got a lot better. We went to church the first Sunday, even in the midst of craziness. Because the church was our denomination, it was amazing how many connections we felt immediately. There was so much comfort in the sameness of the service, as well. It helped us make fast friends which provided us with much needed support. Prayers to you!

Thank you, Rachael!

We already picked out a church that we’re planning to visit the first Sunday we’re there that we feel may be a great fit for our family and are hopeful it might become a home/community for us — especially a place for our kids to plug in.

Thank you for your prayers; they are much appreciated!

• Andrea says

I’m not sure which church you’re planning to visit, but if it doesn’t work, I MUST recommend Oasis (oasis church.tv). The kids program is great and they really made my 3 kiddos feel welcome the first day we showed up about a year ago. And there are a lot of great events for adults to get plugged in, too – today there was a beach-themed party hosted by the marriage ministry.

Good luck with the move, I’ll be praying for you! And I will say that Nashville is a great place for a family!

• NicholeK says

Being in ministry we have moved several times with our kids and I think taking pictures and putting them in a small flip album helps. Also printing a few to frame for their new bedroom is great too. Making a point of sending periodic mail to your friends and family once moved and hopefully them sending a fun card or picture back is great. All kids love receiving mail. But usually this will die out sooner or later as people get busy. We have found with our young boys the transition is actually quicker and easier on them then on us, and over time you may come to a point where your own heart will be sad because their young memories will forget about the old friends and only remember the new.

Thanks so much for the suggestions from your experience! I really appreciate it!

This is big transition for them as most all their current memories have happened in the city we’ve lived in for the past 5 1/2 years. But they are all still pretty young and we also know that they make friends *really* easily, so we’re very hopeful that they will adjust, adapt, and plug in fairly quickly.

• Charity says

Perhaps your children could skype some friends once you’ve settled in your new place? I know it wouldn’t be the same as playing with them, but it may help ease the potential sadness/loneliness they may experience? I’m praying for you and know exactly where you are as we just moved across the country a month ago. It’s still very tough for us, and I’ve just had to realize it’s going to take more time to adjust. Again, I’m praying for you and your family. :)

• Christyl says

We moved from Los Angeles, California to Vancouver, Canada mid-December and left behind all family and friends. Thankfully we knew of a church and went right away. Now four months later, our kids (3 and 5) (and us too) have made friends from our small church – three families have really been encouraging and helpful with this transition. They still ask about their old friends so we Skype/ FaceTime with them once a month or less (3 different families that they have known since birth). The kids love holding the iPad and having some one on one time with their friends. I think it has helped them to realize they are still our friends even though we live far away. Plus we have talked about exchanging boxes (like we would send them things that are unique to our location- can be drawings, treats, etc. then they would something to us)- just a fun way to brighten up a day. All that to say, God is great and blesses His own in ways we don’t expect sometimes. You are an encouragement to so many women and I love that they are reaching out to encourage you! Keep up the great work and letting God lead the way!

• Morgan says

We made a big move when I was a kid (8 years old). I remember it as a happy event, not as a sad event. My parents focused on the cool things we would gain and experience with our move (from a big city to far out in the country)….we got a dog since he would have room to run, we would each get our own rooms, we would get to see cows and horses every day (a big deal for city kids!), we would have a big garden and each get our own garden plots. I think it also helped writing letters back and forth with my friends and class (I especially loved getting letters and drawings from my whole class).

This too shall pass, and with such a positive role model as yourself, I’m sure your kids will look back with nothing but happy memories of this big transition. Hope your move goes well and you and your family love your new home!

7. Amanda says

We had some friends move away last year. It was hard on my 2 year old cause she loved this other little girl. We walk down the street and she still asks about them at times. I think it just takes time. And honesty helps too. Embrace the feelings and help them learn how to process them. That is a life skill they will use forever!

• Maggie says

My almost 3 year old has faced kids moving away already and like Amanda’s daughter, my son does still talk about them sometimes. He was with these two children nearly every weekday for over a year in daycare, so I know he was sad to see them go. There have been a few times at night where he asked to hold their picture when he went to sleep. It was too precious, but made me a little sad. But just having that picture of them really seems to help him.

8. Lana says

Hugs. It is so hard to say good bye. My best friend cried the entire day while our trucks were loaded when we left Florida 20 years ago. It about broke my heart and it gets me teary thinking about it even now.

Poor kiddos! I remember making a big move when I was about 11. Saying goodbye is no fun, but I’m sure thankful for all the new friends and adventures that came from movie. :)

My husband is out of town, so our eating habits have been really skewed. Last night my toddler and I had canned sardines, and popcorn. O.o

Once in a great while, on a hard day, right before a move, probably the most needed menu is one with lots of fun.

Good for you, helping your kids through this time.

11. Kim Hanners says

We had grilled hot dogs for lunch and we are having spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. All from the freezer.

12. Kathie Cherry says

Moving creates opportunities to make even more wonderful friends~ wonderful reminder for children. My girls always acclimate much faster than I do! Also, when you move, have your children write (to their friends or in their journals) about the wonderful new things they have noticed about their new home, town, state, ect~ gratitude focus.

Best wishes & blessings on an easy transition & exciting new adventure!!!

13. lori says

Thanks for keeping it real. Preparing for a move is hard. Give yourself grace … you know that’s what you’d tell us to do!

14. Windsor says

We had your freezer biscuits with spun honey for breakfast, soup from the freezer and homemade pizza on a crust from the freezer.

No menu shame. You guys are going through a major life transition and frankly, chips and salsa have graced many a dinner menu at our house during regular ole life, especially if my husband is out. And hey, we’re all getting some vitamin C from the salsa, right?

My husband has once-a-month dinner meetings and on those nights we always eat cereal for dinner! Or chips and salsa :)

I’m sure this time is so bittersweet for your family. Thanks for sharing with your readers. Many of us are covering your family in prayers as you move to a new location.

17. Joanne Peterson says

Sometimes the best thing we can do for ourselves and our kids is make meals simpler and comforting. You did just that. Moving is hard. You are being a sensitive, good mom by recognizing your kids needed something special. Saying goodbye is tough when they have friends who are like family. I think you did exactly what was needed for everyone.

18. Sarah says

Thanks so much for your honesty, Crystal. Way to go with the chips and salsa dinner! Every week we eat a big Sunday lunch at my parents’ house. No one is very hungry on Sunday evenings, so it’s always Cereal Night. My kids love it! I think they actually look forward to it ;)

I love that I’m not the only one who thinks eating chips and salsa is an acceptable meal! I always justify by saying that at least the salsa is primarily vegetables :) And if I had ice cream cake, I’d be eating it too!