Eating From the Pantry: Day 2

Eating From the Pantry

It’s Day 2 of the Eating From the Pantry Challenge. I made a pan of Baked Oatmeal this morning before we headed out for an early morning appointment. This recipe is always a winner.

Eat From the Pantry Challenge

A good friend came over today to spend the day with us. She made Banana Bread for us while she was here to use up some bananas we had in our freezer. This is such a delicious recipe!

Eat From the Pantry Challenge

For lunch, Kathrynne decided to eat some of the jar of jalepenos. She dared me to try some, too, but I passed. :) I’m kind of a wimp when it comes to hot stuff!

Eat From the Pantry Challenge

Eat From the Pantry Challenge

I made Barbecue Chicken for dinner tonight. I just poured the rest of a bottle of barbecue sauce over chicken breasts and then baked them. Super easy and yummy, too!

Breakfast: Baked Oatmeal

Lunch: Cheese slices, crackers, applesauce

Snack: Chips, apples with almond butter

Dinner: Barbecue chicken, Banana Bread, green beans

Eat From Pantry Challenge

Are you eating from the pantry this week? If you are, leave a comment telling us what you ate today. Or, if you’re blogging about this challenge, leave a link to your direct blog post below that details what you ate for the Pantry Challenge today. I can’t wait to see your creative ideas!

Comments

1. Andrea says

Oh my goodness – Gates barbecue sauce! I’m so jealous! :) My family and I moved from KC to Nashville about five years ago and, sadly, we don’t get our Gates fix nearly enough!

• Pamela J says

My husband eats at gates every time we’re in KC. I got him some of the BBQ sauce in the picture, too. Good stuff!!!

2. Vanessa B says

For breakfast we indulged on leftover donuts and turnovers again.

Lunch was pita bread pizzas, the kids love these, I had hummus with red peppers also.

Snack was fruit smoothies made from the remaining fruit salad that wasn’t very pretty and the kids had string cheese also.

Dinner was beef tacos. 1lb of ground beef is not cutting it for our family anymore, so I supplemented by having leftover salmon in 3 of my tacos, it was very tasty.

Dessert was leftover birthday cake. While all of these sweets are very yummy, I can’t wait until they are gone.

• Melissa says

I add a jar of inexpensive salsa to 1lb of taco meat to make it stretch a bit further…just let it simmer for a few extra minutes uncovered. It becomes more saucy and my family definitely prefers this method over dry taco meat. Have a great day!

Oooh Melissa, that’s a great idea. I’m going to have to try it. Question, do you still use taco seasoning or skip it all together?

3. Maggie says

The kids made pancakes and scrambled eggs for breakfast, lunch was leftover ham sandwiches. Dinner was a roasted chicken from the freezer with gravy and leftover mashed potatoes. Trying to use up all the leftovers from Easter :)

4. Keri M says

We have been doing a lot of pantry/ freezer eating here too. It’s helpful when you have a 5 month old nursing baby not to run to the store to get something just for dinner, so we at saving money and it is convenient. We were out of eggs this morning but had three leftover pancakes from the weekend, which I split between two kids, along with apple slices. I had yogurt and granola. We ate leftover mini bowie pasta with roasted garlic Prego sauce and ground turkey for lunch. It was dinner last night because it was all in our pantry or freezer! I had steamed some baby carrots that were in the fridge and we had the leftovers with sandwiches tonight. Admittedly the lunch meat was purchased today at the grocery store. :)

This keep a well stocked pantry so that I have lots of meal options. However, this is the least amount I’ve spent on groceries in a long time. My husband has mixed emotions about this whole thing. On one hand he is happy that I spent about 1/3 of what I normally spend but on the other hand he is a meat, potatoes, and beans man and is concerned that he’ll have to step out of his comfort zone. Anyway, this will be an interesting week.

Since I stockpile, I tend to have lots and lots of stuff in my pantry. My husband and I are constantly trying to come up with ways to use up all the stuff. Thanks for the great reminder. :)

7. Ann says

We are getting ready for a move too, and have begun a “eat out of the pantry and freezer” mission too. Last night was carbonera; somehow we have three boxes of spaghetti and no tomatoes!

8. Niki says

We had quinoa, mixed veggies and chicken. The chicken was one breast leftover from grilling over the weekend.
    I put Sriracha on mine (a partial bottle in fridge) and my husband uses Franks Sweet Chile Sauce on his (again, partial bottle in fridge).
    Sooooo….easy, cheap and good!

9. Angelic1Ang says

Yes, we are eating from the pantry this week. Last night I made a really good pasta dish with sauteed veggies from the freezer and fresh, sausage, spaghetti, a can of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and italian seasoning. The meals probably cost $5-$6 because everything was on sale when I bought it for the pantry/freezer. Plus, there was leftovers for lunches today but I am only feeding a family of 3.

10. Cheryl says

I like to do this alot too-Just finished the mashed potatoes from Easter dinner yesterday but still have some ham left so it will be frozen ravioli/sauce from pantry and ham. The kids had ham in their lunches today too. We love leftovers at our house and my husband loves to forage( he calls it) in the fridge!

11. Tracy K says

Bruschetta chicken bake. Found the recipe on the back of the stove top stuffing box. Super simple and only 6 ingredients! Will serve with a salad.

12. Melissa says

During the colder months I keep a very well stocked pantry and freezer but spring is when our family uses up the older products we have on hand and downsize the pantry for summer. We seem to have less waste doing it this way (especially with freezer stuff) and it gives me a chance to thoroughly clean them both. I love reading everyone’s ideas and it helps keep me motivated…thanks a bunch!

13. Stephanie says

We had an easy chicken casserole. Just noddles, canned chicken (or left overs- what ever I have on hand), peas, cream of chicken soup, and cheese. Mix it all together in the pot after draining the noodles, mix well and then put in a baking dish and heat for 20 mins. Very yummy