Gretchen’s $53 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan

DSC_0049

Aldi

1 loaf Bread – $1.29

1 Pineapple – $1.29

1 Flour Tortillas – $0.99

1 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts – $4.21 (I was so excited that their chicken was marked 50% off!)

2 dozen Eggs – $1.59 each

1 Strawberries – $1.29

Total with tax ($1.99): $28.93

DSC_0052

Dillons

1 gallon Milk – $2.78

1 gallon Chocolate Milk – $2.78

4 Totino’s Pizza Rolls – $1 each, used 4 $1.25/1 printable (no longer available) – Free plus overage after coupons

1 Annie’s Mac and Cheese – $1, used $0.75/1 catalina coupon – $0.25 after coupon

1.24 lbs Bananas @ $0.55/lb – $0.68

1 Cascadian Farms Granola – $2.50, used $0.75/1 coupon from the 1/5 SmartSource insert – $1.75 after coupon

1 Kroger French Bread – $1.99 (Requested by my husband…I prefer homemade bread, but I love spoiling him sometimes.)

3 Gluten Free Quinoa Pasta – Marked down to $0.99 each (We aren’t allergic to gluten but I have several friends who are, so I always keep my eye out for good deals on gluten free items.)

2 Nature Valley Granola Bars – Marked down to $1.99, used 2 $1.25/1 printable (no longer available) – $0.74 each after coupons

2 John Frieda Root Lift – Marked down to $1.59 each, used $3/2 coupon from the 1/19 SmartSource insert – $0.09 each after coupons

1 Hormel Rev Wrap – $1.99, used Free e-coupon (no longer available) – Free after coupon

1 Romaine Lettuce – $0.99 (I will get 20% back from SavingStar.com.)

1 Marshmallow Matey’s Cereal – $4.49 (My husband was shopping with me and put this in the cart! :))

1 Suave Lotion – $0.99, used $1/1 coupon from the February All You magazine – Free after coupon

2 Right Guard Deodorant – Marked down to $1.09 each, used $2/2 coupon from the 1/26 RedPlum insert – $0.09 each after coupon

1 Natural Cane Turbinado Sugar – Marked down to $1.89

Total before coupons and sales: $48.20

Total with tax ($2.67) after coupons and sales: $24.07

Total for all grocery items: $53

Menu Plan for this Week

Breakfasts

Cereal, Homemade Granola, Oatmeal, Toast, Homemade Juice (I’ll use various fruits and veggies.)

Lunches

Fruit/Veggies & Cheese/Crackers, Mac & Cheese, Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches, Tossed Salad with Tuna, Egg and Spinach Quiche Cups

Dinners

Baked Chicken Drumsticks, French Bread, Tossed Salad, Sliced Clementines

Hawaiian Haystacks, Steamed Cauliflower

Crepes, Sausage, Fruit Salad

Venison BBQ Brisket, Pumpkin Muffins, Steamed Broccoli, Baked Potatoes

Chicken Fajitas, Sliced Veggies

Lasagna (from the freezer – I made and froze this a couple of weeks ago), 30 Minute Rolls, Tossed Salad

Date night

Comments

Sounds great! I’ll have to check their chicken…we have a freezer full of ground beef and bison livers but I’ve been missing having chicken recently.

2. Liz says

Aldis is a great place to get most items from but I do not get the meat from there, I go to my local grocery store and get what’s on sale

3. Roma says

Gretchen I like the fact you don’t “cringe” when your hubby puts items in the basket that are pricey. I do the same for my hubby because he works so hard. Great job!

• Gretchen says

It’s not often that my husband goes grocery shopping with me. We got lots of snow and ice this week and he graciously agreed to go with me and drive so I wouldn’t have to drive in the snow. Of course I let him put a few of his favorite snacks in the cart. :) I love saving money by using coupons so I can splurge and bless him with his favorite foods some weeks. :)

4. Melissa says

Thank you so much for posting these shopping trips on here with the menu plan. They are really helpful as I’m working on getting better at menu planning!

By any chance is there a recipe for the homemade granola Gretchen makes?

• Gretchen says

I actually don’t use a recipe. I just put in whatever we have on hand and cook it. But I know Crystal has a few yummy granola recipes here on MoneySavingMom.com if you search for granola.

5. Jen says

I checked Saving Star, and the 20% off is for the red leaf lettuce, not the romaine.

I’m going to have to check my Fry’s (local Kroger affiliate) for the John Frieda, that’s a great deal!

I see your local Kroger doesn’t round coupons below $1 up to $1, I’m glad my local Fry’s does. I know they’ve been ending it in some markets, I hope they keep it in mine.

I got a great deal on pork stew meat at Fry’s today. I got 8 packages on manager’s special and used a 50% off rain check I had from the pork extravaganza a couple of weeks ago. I got over $50 in pork for just over $17 today, score! I was surprised they let me stack the rain check with the manager’s special, but the manager OK’d it. Plus, I used the B1G1F Aquafina water coupon (can’t remember which insert it was in recently) with the e-coupon they had a couple of weeks ago for a free one, so got two waters free.

Thanks for sharing in such details! I just start following MSM not long ago and May I ask how many people you are feeding with these grocery? Thanks!

7. lori says

I had to laugh about the cereal … that’s why my husband isn’t allowed to go grocery shopping with me. It always costs twice as much when he comes along. And sugary cereals are his weakness, too.

8. Em says

I am new to savings star….can you use coupons at the check out AND get the rewards in your account too?

I think I tried it and it seems that it negates the savings star if you use a coupon.

I couldn’t find my answer on the website.

9. Patti Sutton says

The venison BBQ brisket sounds awesome! Can you please share your recipe? Was that store-bought venison or from a successful hunt?

10. katie says

I am wondering which area of the US you live in? We live in the Northeast, and milk here at Aldi yesterday was 4.27 a gallon. You have great milk prices:)

11. Shirley says

I wish we had an Aldi here in the upper midwest. Unfortunately, Hyvee seems to dominate and their prices have gotten quite high. Milk prices have been around $4 to $5 for months now. I am finding however that Lewis Drug or a local gas station will put their milk on sale for right around $2.99. Sometimes you have to get creative on where to buy groceries when you live in a less populated area, which most of SD. ;) Great job, Gretchen.

12. Amber Woods says

Hey, I’ve been looking at your weekly shopping trips for a while and never see any juice. We seem to go through a lot of OJ at breakfast and apple juice mixed with water in the littles cups all day. Does your family stick to milk and water?

• Gretchen says

I have a juicer so I make my own juice. My mom just gave me a box of oranges so I’ve been juicing those. If we buy juice, I usually water it down for my toddler otherwise we would go through it super fast. We mostly just drink water though.

13. Melanie K says

I don’t know if you use Checkout 51, but you might want to look into it. You get $2 when you upload your first receipt and I noticed 2 of your items are on there (1 dozen eggs gets you $0.50 and the blueberries would get you $0.25). Those little bits definitely help!

My hubby is a deer hunter too. Wonder if I could use your deer brisket recipe on a roast instead? We don’t have a brisket! This would be a wonderful Valentine surprise for him! He’s been working out of town but will be home Friday !

• Gretchen says

That’s actually what I’m going to use. I don’t think it will make that much of a difference and I’m excited to try it. :)