Gretchen’s $50 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan

DSC_0033

This week, I shopped on a different side of town than I normally do. There are a couple of different health food stores right next to each other. Just for fun, and because I had some extra grocery money to spend, I stopped in to both and bought a few things. Here’s what I got:

Natural Grocers

1.64 lbs Organic Broccoli @ $1.99/lb – $3.26 (This much will last us for a couple weeks.)

1 Organic Cucumber – $2.15 (This is CRAZY expensive compared to what I normally pay, but these cucumbers were so big and looked so amazing that I just wanted to try one and see if it tasted a lot better than the ones I normally buy.)

1 bag Organic Chopped Dates – $2.57

1 bag Unsweetened Banana Chips – $1.52

1 bag Organic Whole Wheat Tortillas – $2.99

Total with tax ($0.89): $13.38

DSC_0027

The Fresh Market

2.99 lbs Navel Oranges @ $0.98/lb – $2.93 (These oranges are HUGE and I’m excited to try them.)

1 gallon hormone-free Milk – $2.99

1 dozen Eggs – $1.59

2 packages Cheese – $1.79 each

4 Avocadoes – $0.29 each

Total with tax: $18.93

DSC_0026

Dillons

1 Yopa! Greek Yogurt – $1.29, Used Free e-coupon (no longer available) – Free after coupon

1 Kroger Natural Peanut Butter – $1.88

1 Kroger Hashbrowns – $1.99

1 Hormel Turkey Lunchmeat – $3, used $0.50/1 coupon from the 1/5 SmartSource insert – $2.50 after coupon

1 lb Laura’s Lean Beef – Marked down to $2.99, used $1/1 e-coupon (no longer available) – $1.99 after coupon

2 Plum Baby Food – Marked down to $0.29 each, used 2 $0.50/1 mailer coupons – Free plus overage after coupons

1 Romaine Lettuce – $1.49

1 Green Pepper – $0.75

Total before coupons and sales: $20.71

Total with tax ($0.84) after coupons and sales: $11.02

Total for all grocery items: $49.67

Menu Plan for this Week:

Breakfasts

Homemade Granola, Cereal, Banana Pancakes, Fruit Smoothies

Lunches

Fruit/Veggies/Cheese, Tossed Salad, Leftovers, Baked Potatoes, Cheese Quesadillas

Dinners

Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole, Eggs

Meat & Veggie Stir-Fry, Biscuits

Apple Turkey Picadillo, Tossed Salad

Homemade Chicken & Noodles, Peach Cobbler (with the peaches with picked and canned last fall)

Meatballs (with ground venison), Steamed Broccoli, Homemade Whole Wheat Bread

Pizza Pockets, Tossed Salad

Out to eat

Comments

1. michelle says

As a organic eating gal, you will be able to taste the difference there is no comparison :) I hope you and your family enjoy! Can I just say I was excited to see organic on your menu :)

I’ve tried unsweetened banana chips – blah! I thought they would be good since bananas are kinda sweet. Nope! Something happens in the drying process. I only buy sweetened now.

On another note, I miss Aldi. I need to find a similar store in SWFL.

• emily says

I too was happy to see organic items in your list this week! I hope you will continue to incorporate that into the shopping lists!

• Amanda says

There is talk about them putting in Aldis down in Florida. Course I really miss Publix. They where the only place that had a huge varity of items I could eat dispite my dairy allergy (like several different types of icecream products) Oh how I miss that store.

3. Carol says

How many mouths does she feed for that little amount of food. I am feeding three and my food bills are high. I cannot afford organic or hormone free products, they are very expensive.

• tracey says

I feed a family of 4 and shop at the local Farmers Market and Meat market and can feed my family for two weeks for 60 at those two combined and another 40 at Save A Lot. so around 100 for two weeks of groceries for a family of four. It’s a lot more work to put up groceries and prepare meals…..but worth it because we were spending 180-200 a week at Walmart.

4. WilliamB says

So … how did the cucumber taste? I’ve found that the carrots that are sold with the tops on (which shows how fresh they are) really *are* that much better than cello-bag carrots.

5. Margie says

What state does she live in? Her prices are much cheaper than Calif. & we don’t pay tax on food items.

6. Charity rosasco says

It has taken us some time to but organic but we are working on it little by little. We first did it by buying a half a cow. It was expensive upfront but we save every week and the meat tastes completely different the an what you get at the store. We will always get our meat this way. We are starting to buy organic eggs. We have always had to buy special milk cause my son is lactous intolerant so we just build it in our budget. You get used to the costs once you start.

7. Chrissy M says

I am not a strict organic shopper because of my budget but I do stick to my fruits and veggies being organic and after several years I can taste the difference in fruits such as grapes and apples and in root vegetables .

8. Gina says

It is so funny how many of us took note of the organic items! I would like to know how many people you feed because that broccoli would only make it through 1 meal here (there are 3 of us including a pre-teen boy lol). And WHERE ON EARTH can there be avocados for 29 cents??? The avocados were 95 cents this week & I was so happy I bought 4!

9. Hope says

Btw Aldi here has less than fresh looking produce and veggies, same for Save A Lot, theirs looks like everything sat on a dock for days. A pineapple on sale in my area is 2.99, cucumbers and peppers 1.00 each, tomatoes 1.99 lb and Laura’s gr beef is 5.99 or more a lb.