I keep seeing you put on your goal list to write a love note to your hubby and am curious as to what you choose to write about? -Emily
Since this is one of the most-asked questions on my blog, I figured it was high time I answer it in a post. 🙂
Why Love Notes?
First off, some of you may wonder why I write love notes and am intentional about trying to do it every week. My husband and I have been married for almost 11 years and the thing I’ve learned over the years is that a good marriage doesn’t just happen; it’s something you have to intentionally work at.
And you don’t just work at it a little bit and that tides you over for months. No, you keep investing in it day in, day out. It’s work. But it’s oh so worth it.
Writing love notes is just one of the little ways I seek to invest in our marriage on a regular basis. It’s simple, it doesn’t require much time, and it doesn’t cost anything, but my love notes often are a huge boost to my husband’s day. They let him know that I care, that I appreciate him, and that I’m thinking of him as I go throughout my day.
What Do You Write About?
The love notes I write to my husband are about all sorts of different things. There’s no set “right” way to write a love note. What matters is that Jesse feels loved when reading it.
Sometimes they are short and sweet. Sometimes, they are long and mushy. Depending upon what mood I’m in, they might be funny, serious, deep, or goofy.
Can You Give Me Some Examples?
Many women have written in to say that they’d love to write love notes to their husband, but they don’t know what to say. And they feel like they’d quickly run out of things to write.
The sky is the limit when it comes to love notes. Once you start thinking of ideas, I bet you’ll find they are a lot easier to come up with than you think.
Remember this: a love note doesn’t have to be long — and it doesn’t even have to be hand written! You can send a text, type up the note, write an email, or use a dry erase marker to write on your bathroom mirror.
Your method of writing it doesn’t matter as much as the fact that it comes from your heart.
To get you started, here are some suggestions to spark your creativity:
- Thank him for something he’s done for you recently.
- Praise a character quality.
- Reminisce about some adventure you had together.
- Write about something you’re looking forward to doing with him.
- Express gratitude for the everyday things he does.
- Flirt with him.
- Write an acrostic for his name and come up with something you’re grateful for that starts with that letter.
- Create a secret code and write your love note in that code for him to decipher.
- Write a poem.
- Share something you’ve been reading/learning about recently that would interest him.
- Send him a text out of the blue to tell him you’re thinking of him.
- Share with him what you prayed for him that morning.
- For more ideas, check out this post on Creative & Cheap Ways to Say “I Love You”
When you begin to look for things to be grateful for, I guarantee you’ll see things you never noticed before! And your little notes of gratitude and love could mean more to him than you ever could have imagined.