Reader Tip: How we’re saving on our cell phone bill

Erin emailed in the following tip:

My husband and I are both teachers for a public school district, and in our state (Minnesota), Verizon gives state employees a discount on our cell phone bill (12%, I believe), just for bringing in a pay stub one time. As you can imagine, this has saved us a lot of money in the past three years!

If you’ve never tried asking your cell phone company (or any other utility company) if they give discounts to certain types of employees or union members, you might consider giving it a try… Who knows? You might save big! -Erin

photo source

Comments

• Sandy Krug says

My daughter has ATT. I believe she got a veterans discount. She asks for them everywhere!

1. Sarah says

I switched my phone service to Sprint last week and was suprised to find they offer a discount for state employees in my area. It’s certainly worth asking about if you are a teache, civil servant or other government employee.

2. Lori says

My son-in-law and my husband both work for companies that receive a 24% discount on cell phone bills here in Mo. I used to work for the public library in Indiana and received a 15% discount. You have to make the phone company aware that you qualify, and you may have to show written proof such as a pay stub.

3. Lana says

We got great discounts when my husband worked for IBM and we get them now that he works for Michelin North America. Most big corporations have discount programs. Michelin pays for our Sam’s Club membership too!

4. Sarah says

My husband works for a private company (not government). With his company’s discount, Verizon gives him 22% off which saves a lot!

5. Katie D. says

My employer has our company cell phones through Verizon, so all employees get a 18% discount. A nice lil bonus!

6. Kate says

Our phone company gives us a 24% discount because I’m a nurse. We’re in IL. My brother, also in IL, gets either 12 or 17% as he is a teacher. Always ask!

7. Julie says

Does anyone give pastors a discount on anything? I have this thought that a while back the clergy were given discount on certain things but I haven’t found that to be true yet, so maybe I just dreamed it up?

8. Laurie says

Government employees and government contractors can receive a discount through Verizon in Texas. 15% off the base bill.

9. Brianna says

It’s definitely worth checking to see if you get a discount! I work for a municipality and previously there was not an available discount. However, after reading this post I decided to check again just to make sure…and now I AM eligible! I just saved 18% off my monthly bill just for taking 5 minutes to check and submit a paystub. It may not be a huge chunk of change, but every little bit helps!

10. Becki says

With Sprint, being a member of a credit union can even give you a discount (including activation fees being waived).

11. Kristen Lowery says

My husband works for Coca-Cola. We get 27% discount through AT&T. We have 5 Phones on a family share plan (2 are smartphones) and we pay about $150.

• Cherie says

Thanks for bringing this topic up;I just recently found out about my employer in IL offers discounts and I received one for 15%. It is always work asking about discounts, it could be just the break and lucky day you needed.

12. MomofTwoPreciousGirls says

AT&T does this too. I work for a massive company and not only do I get a 17% discount off my monthly bill, I also have access to the special “business” customer service. Hardly, ever a wait, the nicest people and they treat me as if I’m the CEO!

13. Katie says

I have Sprint. When I worked for a hospital, I received 23% off my bill. Now we use my husband’s discount which is 22% off (restaurant) – still great!. I know they also give Postal Service employee’s 25% off.

14. Alla says

I am a student, my husband was in the military- we BOTH get discounts every month at T-Mobile.

15. naomi bergman says

We get an excellent discount from Verizon! Also if you’ve been with them for 10 years or more they offered us an incredible deal which we were able to buy a smart phone and have an amazing contract! Super happy

16. Claudia Matei says

I receive 15% off from AT&T because I am an Arizona State University Alumni. Additionally, about 2 months ago I decided to take off the insurance from our phones because we hadn’t used them in 2 years since we have been paying for it. That saved me a little over $30 a month. We have iPhones and Apple is great about fixing or helping with any iPhone issues. And I also discovered that the insurance we had, should our phones get stolen, we would still have to pay $200 to replace them, that to us was not worth the extra $30 a month.

My husband’s employer gets a discount, too! Small company, but the owner and most of the employees have cell service with verizon. We get about 10% off om our bill. It is great!

18. Lucinda says

We don’t get a discount, but found that we could save around 70% by going with a different company. We had to pay for our phones, but bought them used so they weren’t too expensive. We now pay $30 a month for 2 smarty phones with data, talk, & text.