Gretchen’s $55 Grocery Shopping and Weekly Menu Plan

Dillons

I only had time to go to one store this week and I chose Dillons. I spent a little more since we were out of town last week and I didn’t get groceries…not to mention our refrigerator was almost bare.

2 Kroger Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, frozen (3 lb bags) – $4.98 each

1 Kroger Frozen Peas – $1

2 Kroger Shredded Cheese (8 oz) – $1.50 each

1 Kroger Butter – $2.59

1 Liberte Yogurt – $1.25, used $0.50/1 printable (doubled) - $0.25

5 Quilted Northern Bath Tissue (4 double rolls) – $1.89 each, used 2 $1/1 coupon from the 7/14 RedPlum insert and 3 $0.55/1 blinkie coupon – $1.16 each after coupons  (For some reason, Dillons only doubled one of my coupons. I didn’t say anything as I figured it was good for me to get used to no more double coupons which starts August 2o here.)

1 Cheetos – $2.50, used Free e-coupon (no longer available) – Free after coupon

1 Kroger Flour – $1.64

1 Kroger Chocolate Chips – $1.59

2 Kroger Value Canned Green Beans – $0.65 each

1 Welch Grape Jelly – $1.97

1.77 lbs Organic Bananas @ $0.67/lb – $1.19

1 Moms Best Cereal – $1.99, used $0.75/1 e-coupon - $1.24 after coupon

0.99 lbs Broccoli @ $0.99/lb – $0.98

1 Romaine Lettuce – $0.99

4 Blueberries (pint) – $0.99 each, used 2 $0.50/1 printable - $0.74 each after coupons (Amazing price and we love blueberries so I was super excited about these!)

3 lbs Fuji Apples – $3.99

1 Dillons Milk (gallon) – $1.99

0.91 lbs Roma Tomatoes @ $0.99/lb – $0.90

0.79 lbs Green Beans @ $1.69/lb – $1.34

1 Green Pepper – $0.79

Items part of the Mega Sale (Buy 5, Get $5 off instantly):

4 General Mills Cereal – $2.49 each, used $6/4 e-coupon - $0.99 each after coupon (These are the giant boxes so it’s like getting the regular boxes for $0.49 each!)

1 Turkey Hill Ice Cream – $1.99

Total before coupons and sales: $114.04

Total with tax ($4.47) after coupons and sales: $55.89

Menu Plan for This Week

Breakfasts

Cereal, Oatmeal, Toast/Homemade Bread

Lunches

Macaroni & Cheese x2 (We’re having friends over twice this week and are doing Mac & Cheese both times), Leftovers, Grilled Cheese, Fruit Salad, Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches

Dinners

Homemade Cheese Pizza

Italian Chicken, Tossed Salad, Fruit Salad

Brown Bag Burritos (from the freezer), Green Beans, Tossed Salad, Apples

Pasta Salad, Biscuits, Fresh Blueberries

Chicken & Rice Casserole, Steamed Broccoli

Date Night

Dinner at my parents

Comments

Wow! Almost all your prices are significantly below ours! Never noticed that before. Maybe that’s why my bill is always higher even though I practically buy the same things! :) Here are the ones I know:

Chicken Breasts, frozen (3 lb bags) – $4.98 each–ours are $7
    Shredded Cheese (8 oz) – $1.50 each–ours were 1.88 on sale
    Butter – $2.59–3.00 here
    Cheetos – $2.50, I had the coupon too, but they were 3.19 originally
    Flour – $1.64–at least 1.75, sometimes more
    Chocolate Chips – $1.59–at least $2
    Broccoli @ $0.99/lb – $0.98–ours was 1.29 this week
    Romaine Lettuce – $0.99–$2.49 usually
    Dillons Milk (gallon) – $1.99–$2.99 on sale
    Green Pepper – $0.79–$.89 on sale

• Melanie says

Diana, where do you live? Now I am curious to check the prices at our Fred Meyer (Kroger affiliate) in Eastern Washington. This may be a good lesson for many on why they shouldn’t beat themselves up over their grocery budget. I am going to copy this list and I will try and post what I find.

Gretchen, I loved how this trip actually contained very few coupons, and you still managed to feed your family affordably. Another good lesson for those who don’t feel like they have the time to clip coupons and do a ton of researching.

Melanie, we live in North Alabama. We have Kroger (no affiliates) and Publix as major grocery chains. Yes, it is a good lesson and one I knew in my head, but I was glad to see it so clearly in this particular post!

Diana, do you have a place where you could grow lettuce (even a pot)? Lettuce has gone to that price here, too, and I cannot afford to pay that much. A packet of 750 seeds is around $4, and even if only 3 seeds grew, you would come out ahead! It’s too hot to grow lettuce here right now where I live, but when it cools down I will be planting a fall crop. Burpee and Territorial Seed Company both have 10% off coupon codes for orders right now, and both sell open-pollinated seeds. I saved a bunch of seeds from my lettuce that I grew in spring to plant for fall.

Sure, I want lettuce in the summer (should be 107º here today; it’s a little after 6 a.m. and it’s already in the mid 80′s outside), but I just eat different vegetables until I can grow lettuce again.

If you’re growing looseleaf lettuce, you can harvest it three times, too! So then you really get your money’s worth!

Yes, I actually did grow lettuce all spring and haven’t bought any for months! I bought some this week to use for salads to help us use up our overload of cherry tomatoes and cucumbers. It’s always sad when the lettuce bolts. I like the idea of trying to grow it in a pot, and I should definitely do a fall crop too. Thanks for the tips!

• Christie says

I so admire you ladies who garden. I try every year and kill everything! Nature does not come naturally to me, lol.

Christie, it takes lots of practice but you can do it! Keep trying! It has never “just come naturally” to me. I took lots of classes and I’ve had lots of failures along the way, and I still do.

2. Barbara says

I make the italian chicken quite a bit. My kids love it! I’ve also done boneless pork chops this way.

3. Jessica says

Our family LOVES this homemade pizza recipe. Super easy, delish and inexpensive.
    Thanks for the money saving inspiration and ideas!

4. Jennifer says

I love your posts, Gretchen! I like how you use a lot of store brands, too. I do this as well and mainly do my shopping here in No. VA at our local Super Target which has a huge grocery store inside. I find that the Market Pantry brand can be significantly less than the manufacturer’s brands. And I like it! It is quality overall. I take my coupons with me to the store, but if I do the math and the store brand is less, I usually get that. At Target, with my 5% off debit, store coupons & manu. coupons and shopping sales, I can do very well. And in No. VA…outside DC, it is so expensive.