My Attempt At Making No-Knead Rolls {Ahem}

So, I can make some great bread. And usually I don’t have trouble with yeast bread. (Well, except for French Bread!)

But I got adventurous and decided to try making these two different No Knead Make Ahead Dinner Rolls and No Knead Dinner Rolls gluten-free since I only had gluten-free flour on hand. And um, that wasn’t a brilliant idea. :)

I’m positive that with regular flour, these rolls would be fantastic… just learn from my mistakes and don’t try experimenting with the flours. :)

See some of my favorite tried and true bread recipes here.

Comments

Oh yes…gluten-free baking is a WHOLE different monster than regular baking is, and especially when it comes to yeasted breads, which depend on gluten more than quick breads, it’s key to use a recipe formulated for gluten-free baking.

But of course, you now know that! :)

Yes, you would think I know this by now. But the flour had been working so well in other things that I started trusting it a little bit too much.

Lesson learned. ;)

Yeah, you kinda need the gluten protein to catch the gas released from the yeast, don’t you?! ;)

But you know, I probably would have done the same thing if I only had the GF flour and would have convinced myself it would work out ok :) Now you’ll just have to find a go-to gluten free bread. Or just make rice :)

I’m so good at convincing myself that my not-so-bright ideas will work!

I always seem to not be convinced something won’t work until I at least try it and prove that it doesn’t. I guess that’s why I’m constantly making mistakes. :)

• RuthS says

A bunch of my colleagues heard Cory Doctorow (co-editor of Boing Boing) speak last weekend at the national library conference and the quote they shared was: “If you want to double your success rate, triple your failure rate.” So, hey, you’re just following his advice :)

3. Carey says

I use Pamela’s bread mix to make my GF bread and pizza crust. I use my bread machine and it is so easy! I would love to come up with a flour formulation of my own that tastes as good but I got tired of having so many failures.

4. Tanya says

Hi Crystal! I recently heard Colette Martin speak at the APFED conference (apfed.org), and she said that most non-wheat flours, even when they say they are a cup-for-cup substitute, are not. She said to weigh your flour and when it is around 120 g, use that as your cup. (I hope I am getting this right – I think I am. :-) ) You may already know this, but just in case – maybe that would improve your recipe? Colette Martin is SO knowledgeable and her book is full of helpful tips as well as recipes. This is her book: http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Bake-Allergen-Free-Parents-without/dp/1615190538

That looks like my recent biscuit attempt. With canned biscuits. (I didn’t know you could fail canned biscuits, did you?) So don’t worry, you’re not alone!

6. Lynn says

Might I suggest you go read the blog glutenfreegirlandthechef? You’ll learn how to bake gluten-free!

7. Amy S says

I tried going gluten freen for 30 days due to some health issues and it was rough. Nothing comes out the way you expect it to. Taste is different and the bean flours affected the entire family and not in a good way. I am an avid bread baker it is a big adjustment. Fortunately gluten was not my issue and now I am baking yeast breads again. So much easier…