Gretchen’s $44 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan

Health Food Store

I stopped by a different Health Food store this week than I normally do to check out their prices. I wasn’t super impressed and only ended up getting some organic apples.

1.66 lbs Organic Apples @ $1.45/lb – $2.41 (pictured above)

Total with tax: $2.58

Dillons

Items part of the Mega Sale (Buy 4, Get $4 off instantly):

2 Green Giant Veggie Chips – $0.99 each, used 2 $0.50/1 coupon from the 6/9 SmartSource insert (doubled) - Free after coupons

2 Mott’s Fruit Snacks – $1.49 each, used 2 $0.50/1 printable (doubled) – $0.49 each after coupons

Other items:

2 Kroger Canned Green Beans – $0.69 each

1 Kroger Flour – $1.69

1 Kroger Honey Nut Blitz Cereal – $2.49 (special request from my husband)

1 Lance XtraFulls Peanut Butter Crackers – $2.99, used $2.78/1 printable (my cashier went ahead and took off $2.99) – Free after coupon

1 Kraft Marshmallows – $1.25

1 Orville Redenbacher’s Pop Crunch – $2.69, used Free e-coupon (no longer available) – Free after coupon

0.83 lbs Broccoli @ $0.99/lb – $0.82

1 Kroger Applesauce – $2.19

2 Kroger Shredded Cheese – $1.67 each

2 Kroger Tortillas – $1.79 each (I didn’t have time this week to go to Aldi otherwise I would have purchased these there.)

4 Starburst Candies – $0.50 each, used 2 $0.50/2 coupon from the 6/2 RedPlum insert (doubled) – Free after coupons

4 Skittles Candies – $0.50 each, used 2 $1/2 coupon from the 6/2 RedPlum insert – Free after coupon (I love it when I can get free candy. I stash it away for when we have company and then set out a bowl for our guests to enjoy.) :)

1 Kroger Picante Sauce – $1.50

1 Kroger Canned Tomatoes (diced) – $0.69

1 Kroger Potatoes (5 lbs) – $2.49

1 Kroger Garlic Salt – $1

5 Beechnut Fruities Pouch - $1 each, used 2 $1/1 printable, 2 $0.50/1 printable (doubled) and 1 $0.75/1 printable (doubled to $1) – Free after coupons

1.54 lbs Sweet Potatoes @ $1.09/lb – $1.68 (I cook these with carrots and then mash them up and freeze it in small servings. My toddler loves it and it’s a great thing to have around for snacks.)

1 Kroger Enchilada Sauce – $0.99

4 Organic Oranges @ $0.69 each – $2.76

4 Yoplait GoGurt – Marked down to $1 each, used 2 $0.75/2 coupon from the 6/23 SmartSource insert (doubled to $1) – $0.50 each after coupons

1 Quaker Granola Bars – $2.40, used Free e-coupon (no longer available) – Free after coupon

1 Kentucky Legend Ham Steak – $2.79

2.02 lbs Bananas @ $0.52/lb – $1.05

1 Dillons Milk (gallon) – $1.99

Total before sales and coupons: $78.30

Total with tax after sales and coupons: $41.32

Total for all grocery items: $43.90

Menu Plan for this Week

Breakfasts

Cereal, Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (I’ll use this bread recipe and make it into muffins), Oatmeal with Applesauce, Toast

Lunches

Cheese Quesadillas, Leftovers, Fruit, Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches, Scrambled Eggs

Dinners

Homemade Pizza (Will triple the recipe and freeze a bunch of smaller pizzas for my husband’s lunches), Breadsticks, Tossed Salad (I still have lettuce from the past 2 weeks of shopping.)

Breakfast Burritos, Hashbrowns

Grilled Tilapia (from Crystal), Biscuits, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans

Chicken & Rice Casserole, Tossed Salad

Crock Pot Ground Beef Noodle Casserole (I’ll just use regular noodles for this), Fruit Salad, Veggies (I still have some leftover from last week)

Brown Bag Burritos (I’m planning to make a bunch to freeze for my husband’s lunches as well.), Steamed Broccoli

Dinner with my in-laws

Comments

1. Jody says

Very impressed! I have been trying harder to use up all my leftovers and make something creative. I grilled steaks a few nights ago and had 3 left over. Last night for dinner I used those and made steak quesadillas. The family raved! I guess I shouldn’t underestimate my ability to be creative when it comes to cooking :)

2. Amie says

Great job! I just bought my son a his school uniform wardrobe and most of his supplies so I’m trying to cut a chunk out of my grocery budget this week. So far, I’ve spent about $26: grapes, 3 bunches of bananas, peaches, soda, M&Ms, GG veggie chips, granola bars, 4 dozen eggs, Febreze, paper towels, and Cascade. I planned to buy grapes again this week, but my three year-old loves them so much that he swipes them from the fridge and over-eats them. I figured I’d better get peaches instead. lol. My weekly budget is $75, but with my stockpile, I should be good.

• Ashley says

I’m so glad that you started posting Gretchen’s shopping trips and menus. It’s fun seeing how other people spend their grocery money. It makes me want to do better.

3. Amy says

I totally would have made the Crock Pot Ground Beef Noodle Casserole until I saw the nutrition information. Holy cow! So glad that was included.

• Anne says

I think it could be made healthier with lean (93/7) ground beef, reduced fat cheese, and whole grain pasta. The servings are 4-6 so I wonder if the NI is calculated for 4 or 6 servings. 18 grams of fat and 70 carbs is a lot!

4. Christie says

I noticed in your menu plan you still have lettuce from the last two weeks. Any special tricks to get it to last so long?

• Jay Kay says

I usually buy romaine hearts. I wash them, shake off the extra water, and wrap each one in a dry paper towel to absorb the extra water. I put the heads in a ziploc bag, making sure that the heads are separated by the towel. I can get at least a couple weeks out of them, as long as they aren’t bruised.

• Christie says

Thanks. I admit I’m a sucker for iceberg, but, I’ll be trying this next time I buy the green stuff =)

5. Kim says

There’s a $2 catalina for buying 20 Yoplait yogurt or $1.25 catalina for buying 15-19 Yoplait yogurt at Kroger/Dillon’s/Gerbes stores this week. There’s some Yoplait printable coupons on coupons.com. I had some from before so bought 20 yogurt ($4.48 w/ tax out of pocket) & 1/2 gallon Silk Almond Milk ($0.11 out of pocket after printable coupon & catalina). For some reason, the Silk price rang up as $3.19 even though it was on sale for $2.89 & I just now caught it. :(

6. Amy says

Gretchen,
    Do you have a separate budget for meat/seafood? I notice this week you purchased a ham steak, but typically you don’t have meat included in your weekly shopping trips. Even when I pay attention to sales and get meats/seafood that have been marked down, they can add up to $10 or more per week. Don’t get me wrong – you get a lot of great grocery items for $40, but I’m trying to figure out if us meat eaters should expect to spend a little more each week. Thanks for your posts – I enjoy seeing how much bang you get for your buck!

7. Becky Stiltner says

wish we could do this where I live we have a wal mart, food city and a food lion sams is a 1hr and 1/2 away and with gas at 3.30 it does not work out

8. Diane G says

Thank you for your posts. The prices at your Dillions/Kroger are so much lower than the prices at the one I go to in Ohio. Our Kroger flour is almost $1.00 more per bag than yours. The Kroger stores in my region no longer double and their “lower prices” are all that either.

• sue says

Milk is $4.27 at Walmart here in Missouri. Aldi’s has it for $2 but its 25 miles down the interstate. :(

9. Amy R says

Oh for the days of doubled coupons!!! Our Kroger stopped…haven’t been in since except for the occasional free item loaded to my card.