Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library: Free books for kids by mail

The Dolly Parton Imagination Library is a program available in many areas that offers a free book each month to children 5 and under.

It is not available in our area so I have no personal experience with it, but I have heard from many different readers that the books they send are good quality and that it’s definitely worth your while to sign up if your area offers this program.

Check to see if this program is available in your area and read more details here.

Thanks, The Savvy Bump!

Comments

We used to get books from them, but our area ran out of funding, so we no longer get any books. We did get some nice hardback age-appropriate kids books from it while it lasted! It’s worth it to sign up if you have it available!

• Allison says

We are able to get books through a grandparent’s address because we don’t have it available by our house. I called and they said it wasn’t a problem.

2. melissa p says

This program is amazing. They send nice books of a great variety. Some ones off hand are Biscuit, Llama Llama, The Little Engine that Could. I am a licensed daycare provider & the program is open to my home daycare & the kids love the days the mailman delivers new books to us! I am grateful as I’ve been able to expand my library of books & the kids look forward to it.

3. Dana says

Awesome program, both my girls did it and it’s been wonderful to donate the duplicate books we receive to the local library or organizations.

4. Tara says

Loved this program! We enrolled my daughter when she was 2. The month of of 5th birthday she received a letter from Dolly Parton telling her happy birthday and the last book of the program which was all about starting Kindergarten. It was great! I wish all areas could receive this wonderful program.

My sister signed up her daughter as soon as she was born and has loved getting books for the little miss. Little Miss loves her books! It’s a great program and definitely worthwhile if it is available in your area.

6. Jessica says

I’ve done it with both my kids and it is awesome!! I was worried that doing it with both kids we would have a lot of duplicates, but it hasn’t been too bad. Only about 3 books have been the same as the ones our older daughter got.

7. Sarah says

Does anyone know if you can enroll multiple children at once? I couldn’t find that anywhere on the website.

8. Rachel says

Both our daughters are enrolled and we’ve been getting books for about 4 years now. :) They’re really nice books!! A few of them have been things I didn’t like for various reasons, but you can always throw or donate the ones you don’t like. Great program!

This is a truly awesome deal. My son is excited to get his book every month. There has only been 1 book I didn’t care for in the 4 years that my son has been receiving them. It was a book about the rainbow and it didn’t use the correct colors nor order. We have received a few duplicates to books he already has in his library but it was easy enough to drop them off at the local clinic waiting room for other children to read. :)

10. Michele says

In the Metro Detroit area you have to complete 5 Free Early Learning Classes before you can receive books. I had thought that this would be a good thing for Kid #3 to get some new books (he has 2 older sisters and a lot of girly books) but I don’t have time or resources to take 5 classes.

11. Kelly says

This is an awesome program! My daughter loves getting the books in the mail and reading them right away. It is so wonderful to encourage children to read.

12. Gidget says

I just tried to sign my son up via the website and it said I was ineligible. The program in my area is sponsored by the United Way, so I contacted them to see if I could sign him up. They told me it was only for specific zip codes and ours wasn’t one of them.

So frustrating!!!!!