Homemade Soft Scrub

I’ve long wanted to make Homemade Soft Scrub and after doing it today and discovering how simple it was, I’m kicking myself that I waited this long.

It’s seriously just three ingredients — one of which is water.

It takes all of maybe three minutes to mix up. And that is it!

By the way, I tried it out and it works really well. Score!

More Homemade Cleaning Recipes:

Comments

I use this exact same thing to clean my tubs, except I use Dr. Bronner’s peppermint soap. I would recommend putting it in an open container, like a tupperware container. After time it will harden up and it’s easier to add more water and mix when it’s in a container with a large opening. I just add a little water, mix with a spoon and use. A tupperware container will last me for months!

I am so glad you tried this recipe and it worked well. I was just thinking I need a soft scrub recipe. I had seen some with salt and others with baking soda so I didn’t know which one to try. I tried a shower cleaner recipe and I was really happy with how it turned out. Now I have a recipe for soft scrub too. :)

3. Jessica says

Where is the the least expensive place from which to by Dr. Bronners? I see Amazon has it for $0.32/oz for the 18oz bottle. Are there other sites/stores that anyone recommends? Thank you!

4. Morgan says

Does anyone know if this is septic safe? I would love to start making my own cleaning supplies, but I’m so worried about messing up the balance of the septic tank. Any suggestions for septic safe homemade cleaners (detergent, bathroom scrub, etc)? Thanks!

I have a septic system and the Castile soap seems to be the way to go. You do want to avoid bleach and conventional antibacterial soaps. But Castile soap even with some essential oils should be fine. You just want to avoid anything that will wipe out your bacteria population.

5. Crystal says

I’ve been using this for a while, and it cleans my 1060s etched tub better than anything. The original recipe I used had a but of vegetable glycerine in it as a preservative. That might keep it from hardening. I think it would be thicker if you used the Castile soap because there’s a difference in the consistency of the Mrs. Meyer’s. I like it thick, so I can get it righ where I want it without it running away. I store mine in a wide mouth jar and use a Popsicle stick to get it out.

6. Ellen says

does anyone know if you can add bleach? I am in love with Soft Scrub with Bleach and have been looking for a replacement for it… wondering if adding a couple tablespoons of bleach would make it more effective.

• Vicky says

I use a mix of water, baking soda and bleach to clean my white SS sink every few weeks. Works great!

7. Nichole D. says

Hi Crystal,
    This sounds like something I’m going to try, but can I ask what did you clean with it? Sink, bathtub, counters and toilet? I’d like to use it mainly in the bathroom and wondering if it’ll clean everything except the floor and mirror? Thanks!

When I make things like this, I pour the mixture into a squeeze bottle from Michaels (I think it’s a Wilton brand bottle). It’s a clear bottle that is shaped like, but smaller than, a generic red/yellow ketchup/mustard bottle found at the dollar store.

The squeeze bottle allows me to run a nice small line along the grout. I usually let it sit for a little while then go in with a scrub brush or sponge. I use less with the squeeze bottle than I did when I was getting the mixture out of a tub with a sponge.

9. Beth says

I just keep an old Parmesan cheese shaker (plastic container) full of baking soda, a bottle of Dawn (or Dr. Bronner’s), a spray bottle of 50/50 vinegar and a spray bottle of “granite cleaner” (1 tsp liquid soap, 1 T alcohol and the rest water) b/c vinegar etches granite. Each of these fits in a plastic caddy I have. I also keep plastic grocery bags, scrap towels, scrub brush and old tooth brush in the caddy as well. You can keep one in each bathroom or one for the whole house for the house. My quick soft scrub is to sprinkle the baking soda and then add a little liquid soap and get to the scrubbing. Spray counters with “granite cleaner”. Same soft scrub cleans toliet bowl. The vinegar spray is good for deodorizing around the toliet. Only reason I like this better is I don’t have to pre-mix or work to get it out when I need it (if its dried up). To each his own!

10. Ana says

I have a question. Pardon me my ignorance, but can you tell me for what is it use this soft scrub. I don’t get it if its for hands,?

11. Melissa says

Instead of Baking Soda, can you use Borax? I wasn’t able to find a box of baking soda that was big enough…

• Cindy says

Sam’s or Costco has big bags of baking soda dirt cheap. Many people have allergies to Borax, so be careful with using it where someone with sensitive skin might touch.

12. Alto says

This worked wonderfully! It smells great and I didn’t have to suffer through a migraine because of the bleach-smelling soft scrub. My bathroom sink is sparkling. Thank you for posting the recipe.

13. denise c. says

Thanks so much for this recipe! I used Kirk’s castile soap! it was placed in a squeeze bottle and we are ready! :)