Freezer Cooking in an Hour: Kale Chips, Bean Burritos, and Pizza Pockets

Last night, I switched up my planned Freezer Cooking in an Hour session and used up some of the items I’d purchased at great prices at Dillon’s yesterday instead.

First, I made Kale Chips. (More pictures and details on this recipe coming tomorrow.) These were super simple to make since I had bought a marked-down bag of pre-rinsed and torn Kale chips.

Then, while the Kale Chips were baking, I whipped up two bags of Bean Burritos. As you probably guessed I would, I tweaked the recipe some. I’ll share my tweaked version with you soon — probably early next week.

Finally, I make two pans of Beef & Cheese Pockets. You can read more about that recipe creation here.

I was highly motivated to get finished quickly since it was almost dinner time — and sure enough, all of this was accomplished in right at an hour. Yay!

Did you do any freezer cooking this week?

Comments

1. Meredith says

What kind of tortillas are you using now? We used to make burritos all of the time because I bought the tortillas at Aldi. Since my husband and I have switched to whole wheat bread products, we don’t do it as often since Aldis are white. I still shop there a ton but I don’t use the tortillas anymore and I miss our cheap and easy freezer burritos!

I don’t know about Crystal but we buy wheat tortillas at Kroger (the store brand) for about $1.25 (sometimes on sale cheaper). At Wal-Mart, in the food aisle with the (American brand) taco items (like Taco Bell) there is I think Old El Paso wheat tortillas (they cost more than the Kroger ones), but there are often Old El Paso coupons. The “healthiness” of either of these could be debated but I feel better serving my family wheat instead of white. HTH

2. Sarah says

I made kale chips once and was kind of disappointed in them. They were so light, I guess I was expecting/hoping for something a little denser. If I buy kale again I think I’d stick with sauteeing it in a little extra virgin olive oil with garlic.

This week I made Santa Fe Breakfast quesadillas (from Once a month mom ) for the freezer. Tonight I have plans to try out a slow cooker southwestern casserole and possibly spaghizza…although my husband will have to tell me how that comes out since this baby won’t let me eat tomato sauce without dealing with raging heartburn these days. :(

I’m interested in seeing what you thought of the kale chips. I’ve been wanting to try them but I’m kind of on the fence about them.

I did some pantry cooking this week. I made a batch of cream soup mix. Since we all loved the dairy free pudding I made a few weeks ago, I decided to try to make some diary free pudding mixes up. I made a butterscotch and chocolate pudding mix. I am hoping to try these this up coming week and see how they turned out.

I also made kale chips for the first time this week. I purchased some kale on sale for $.25 a bunch so I gave the recipe a try. In our family 3 out of the 4 of us liked them. My son who is 7 looked at them and said he didn’t like them without even trying them. Even our dog ate one. I planted some kale in the garden so hopefully soon we will have some homegrown kale to use in the recipe.

My husband was just saying last night that I need to restock the freezer with more burritos as he was looking for one for a snack last night and didn’t find any.

The first and only time I made kale chips, my toddler son crumbled them everywhere, and they made such a mess! I hope your children enjoyed actually ingesting them. :)

6. ClareC. says

Interested to know how your family liked the kale chips. I made them once and thought they were o.k. but my husband and older son, who eat almost anything, did not like them at all. Maybe, like Sarah commented, they were just hoping for something a little denser…