This week’s menu plan

Homemade Freezer Biscuits

We’re supposed to get quite a bit more snow today and have blizzard-like conditions for the next few days. I went ahead and planned a full menu, but if our electricity goes out like they are predicting is possible, we’ll fall back on PB&J and cold cereal. We stocked up on some no-electricity-required staple meal ingredients just in case. :)

Breakfasts

Oatmeal, Cereal, Eggs, and/or Fruit

Lunches

Mac & cheese, fruit
Snack-y lunch
PB&J, carrot sticks, apples
Cheese quesadillas, carrot sticks
Scrambled eggs, toast, and fruit
Leftovers x 2

Snacks

Fruit/veggies
Popcorn
Chocolate Cranberry Energy Bites
Apple Butter Muffins

Freezer Cooking in an Hour (stay tuned on Thursday when I’ll share a play-by-play on how this goes!)

Homemade Freezer Biscuits
Barbecued Beef in the Crockpot
Chocolate Cranberry Energy Bites

Dinners

Dinner with extended family
Spaghetti Pie, Homemade French Bread, steamed veggies, fruit
Chicken Noodle Soup, Easy Whole Wheat Muffins, fruit/veggies
Vegetable Beef Stew in the Crockpot, Homemade Bread Sticks in the Bread Machine
Barbecued Beef in the Crockpot, baked potatoes,
Homemade Pizza {we’re hosting our couples’ group this week and everyone else is bringing the sides}
Dinner out

What’s on your menu this week? Share details and/or your link to your menu plan in the comments.

Comments

Breakfast: Wheatgrass smoothies for the grown-ups, cereal and pop tarts (on sale) for the kids
    Lunch: pb&j, roast beef sandwiches, school hot lunch, hot dogs
    Dinner: boxed fish fillets and fish sticks with baked potatoes and green beans, hamburger helper, chicken quesadillas with black beans, church dinner (soup and sandwiches), marinated, broiled steaks with potatoes, bacon and cheese quiche

Veggie sandwiches, Dreamfields pasta, a casserole or two that I spent Saturday morning making, and Dollar Taco Night. It’s not much of a plan, but it’s the best plan I’ve had in awhile. I’m most excited about Dollar Taco Night, LOL. :)

LOL. Kim, Dollar Taco Night is when my local favorite Mexican restaurant runs a special. Every Monday night, tacos are $0.99 (chicken, beef, or bean). They are delicious! Not the home-cooked meal everyone is probably imagining, but my DH and I go straight from work to volunteer at church on Monday nights, so Dollar Taco Night is a tradition. Can’t eat for cheaper than a buck!! :)

3. kelly says

Hey Crystal Looks like a yummy plan.. you should look into getting a little one burner stove that you you just screw on the top of a small propane tank.. I know you said you dont really get super crazy weather there but we just have one for camping.. nice to have just to heat up soup or whatever you would make on the stove:0) Its actually kinda fun my boys love it… like camping inside when the electricity goes out… the stove i have is this one … http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-One-Burner-Propane-Stove/20369794

4. Kim says

Ours is simple this week, as I did a lot of cooking last week!
    BF: muffins, cereal, freezer biscuits and eggs
    L: Leftovers*3(chicken and sausage gumbo, nachos, and red beans and rice), sandwiches with fruit
    D: Red beans and rice dinner at church, crock pot brisket, mac and cheese and veggies, ham and cheese boats (diced ham and cheese with mayo and mustard on a hot dog bun and toasted in the oven), and chicken fried steak
    Snacks: apples and peanut butter for the 3 yo and apple slices for the 18 month old, grapes, tomato slices, popcorn and chips with salsa

Also, attempting wheat bread in the bread machine for the first time… Hope it turns out!

On a side note does anyone have a great recipe for granola bars that does not have peanut butter or nut products in it?

5. K says

I’m planning on white chicken chili, chicken & rice, & a cold pasta salad that has vegetables & cubed chicken in it (the chicken is already cooked & in the freezer) to name a few. I guess it’s chicken week!! :)

Biscuits were sounding good last night. I may have to make those too. I add 1/4 cup more milk to a single recipe, then spread the dough in a 9 x 13″ pan & bake it. That way I eliminate rolling out the dough & cleaning the counter (as much), which is a time saver for me. I love what I call “short cut cooking,” even though I usually cook from scratch. I’ve never tried freezing them though.

• Becky says

Crystal, I have a question on your menu. What does your Snacky Lunch include? I notice that you have it often. I am open for ideas so I was just wondering. :) Thanks!

It’s different every week. Just snacky type foods — fruits, veggies, cheese, crackers, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, etc. Whatever we have on hand.

• Becky says

I see! We have some of those lunches too, I just didn’t have a name for it, but now I do! Thanks!

Crystal,

I’m interested in more details on entertaining small groups for dinner. We did similar evenings this month but ended up spending a lot more money than we intended both times due to nerves about having enough for guests to eat and not wanting to look cheap by only serving the entree and not having sides available. We tried to potluck one evening but still ended up buying the entree, the drinks, and a side that nobody else had offered to bring but my husband felt was necessary given the entree. Suggestions? I would love to see more posts on entertaining well on a budget this year!
    Jenny

Over the weekend I made huge batches of egg and sausage burritos and pancakes to freeze for breakfasts.

I struggle with lunches. My kids pack lunches but I feel like they take the same ol same ol everyday!

Here’s my dinner menu for the week:
    Monday: Penne with italian sausage and peppers with homemade yeast rolls.
    Tuesday: Crock pot roasted whole chicken, mashed potatoes, mixed veggies, cornbread
    Wednesday: applesauce glazed pork chops, baked mac n cheese, broccoli, buttermilk biscuits.
    Thursday: Ground turkey tacos and mexican rice
    Friday: Wrapped up dogs (http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/wrapped-up-dogs-64951.aspx) and corn.
    Saturday: Soup and sandwiches
    Sunday: Crockpot turkey chili

8. ClareC. says

I’m doing better at making up my menu plans and sticking to them, and my grocery bill has been happier as a result also. :)
    Dinners this week: Tangy Tuna Macaroni, Black Bean Soup w/cheese quesadillas, Meatloaf with smashed potatoes and green beans, Southwestern Spaghetti with toppings, Coconut Curried Chicken over rice, Cauliflower pasta with a side of sliced tomatoes, and hubby wants to grill out one night this weekend (we live in Florida so that’s doable pretty much year round.) Hope you stay warm, Crystal!

9. Marie says

Crystal I just have to tell you that I just recently started doing the freezing pbj’s and it’s saved me sooo much time. My husband was gone for a week right after I had surgery and we put all the kids snack foods and veggies in baggies. We then put them where I could get to them easily while on crutches. I remembered about the sandwitches and so my husband whipped up a bunch for me and it literally saved my mornings!! So now every Sunday he makes up a bunch and freezes them for me.

10. Ally says

Yeah, here in Kansas City we’re getting blasted as well…

Thanks for the meal ideas. Great for winter-type weather.

P.S. We rely on PB&J a lot too. Fast, easy, and inexpensive.

11. Susan says

Crystal — How do you keep all your frozen-ahead food from spoiling during long electricity outages?

Since it’s freezing outside, we won’t have to worry about it if the electricity goes out this time. In the summer, as long as you don’t open your freezer, it will stay good for 2-3 days usually if it’s fairly full. We’ve never had an outage beyond half a day, though.

12. Julie says

I made the Choc cranberry energy bites, they are amazing! I used chunky pb and omitted the other nuts, cheaper and so yummy!

13. Emily says

I’m interested in what your spaghetti pie recipe is. My mom makes a spaghetti pie that is so delicious but everyone makes them different!

14. Lisa says

Love the pizza recipe!!! We’ve tried a few in the past and basically gave up. (So we’ve been ordering Little Caesar’s.) Gave yours a try last night and it was so easy and delicious! Looking forward to many more homemade pizza’s now! :)