Good Reads: Early to Rise by Andy Traub (and a 30-Day Challenge coming in March!)

Andy Traub and I connected on Twitter a few weeks ago and he asked if he could send me his new ebook, Early to Rise. Actually, I’d been meaning to buy a copy since I’d seen it recommended by so many different people I respect.

So, I jumped at the chance. And I wasn’t disappointed. Andy and I think a lot on the same wavelength when it comes to personal responsibility and discipline.

Andy’s ebook is not for someone who isn’t willing to endure some discomfort and put forth some effort. If you’re happy with how your life is and you’re satisfied with your mornings and your productivity, then you probably don’t need Early to Rise. Or, if you’re a mom who has young ones and you’re thankful for every second of sleep you can get, you also probably don’t need to read this ebook. {The last thing you need is to feel guilty for getting sleep that your body desperately needs!}

However, if you struggle to get up in the morning and you struggle to be productive during the day wish you could regularly get up earlier and get more done in the mornings, Early to Rise will challenge and motivate you. It’s broken down into easy, manageable steps to get you started on the path to consistent lifelong early rising. Even though I typically get up fairly early, I was re-inspired by it to make early rising even more of a priority in my life.

One thing I loved about Early to Rise is that it’s a longer ebook and there are some nice perks when you purchase it: you get the entire audiobook download plus the opportunity to sign up for daily email reminders. I love how Andy provides so many options so that you’re able to get the material in the format that best helps you.

Coming in March: The Early to Rise Challenge

I was so inspired by Andy’s ebook that I thought it would be fun to do an Early to Rise Challenge in March. I’ll be sharing more specific details about how the challenge will work. But basically, we’re going to be reading through the ebook together and I’m going to be encouraging everyone to choose a time they are committing to get up at every weekday morning during March. And then, I’ll have a daily check-in to share how I did and to open the floor for you to tell us how you did that morning.

Best of all, you get to choose what time you are committing to wake up at — be it 4 a.m. or 9 a.m. There’s no set time that constitutes “early”; it’s whatever works best for you and whatever will help you to have a productive day.

More details coming on Wednesday, February 27, 2013. In the mean time, who’s with me?

Comments

1. Hannah says

Oh so super excited about this. I totally have been feeling like God has been telling me to get up earlier and I have been somewhat successful. This will be some good motivation and accountability for me :)

2. Andie says

This is one thing that I have struggled with my whole life and no matter how hard I tried I just kept failing.

Even though I am in the mist of dealing with the momma, daddy and grandpappy of all food allergic reactions – I’m in for the challenge. The prednisone doesnt let me get much sleep anyway so I may as well use it for something good (well asides from saving my life too :) )

• robyn says

I would love to get up early and have family breakfast and a family devotional before the kids head off to school. As it is, I get up 15 minutes before the bus arrives, make toast, combine our family prayer with our food prayer, and send the kids out the door toast in hand. It works, but I want to do better :)

3. Denise says

I’m in and up for the challenge! I had just told my husband that our morning (me and my boys 5 and 3 – dad is up for work and gone by 4 usually) would run so much more smooth if I could just get up early! I am not a morning person AT ALL but super excited to start the challenge and change that habit!!!

My one issue is how to get my kids to keep sleeping when I am up. Both are light sleepers and seem to have a body alarm that wakes them up when I wake up – no matter how early or late! If anyone has any thoughts on this that would be great :)

4. Margaret says

I was JUST thinking about doing this today! How timely! Count me in!

PS I do have small children who are early risers, but I still think my day would go better if I could eek out a little time before they woke up to get the day started. :)

5. Brooke says

I’m definitely in!! I can’t wait to do this! I’m absolutely terrible about getting up early (even though I open up Starbucks a few mornings in the week). My problem is getting up early enough to get ready and not have a thrown together morning – no matter what time I have to be up!

This is a great idea! Get a head start on the kids before they are up. I’m 7 months prego so I can do this until the little one is born and then do the modified version when I’m up multiple times per night. Excited to join in!

6. Rachel says

Alright I pulled the trigger (metaphorically, of course) and bought the book. I’m aiming for 6am. I really want to spend that time exercising (which is when I do my best thinking, reading, reflecting, praying – alone in our basement on the eliptical machine – and I find that I really do have more energy all day if I exercise early). So, here goes…

7. Elisa B says

I need more sleep! This is after I stayed up until 2 after work and was up with the kids at 6:30 for school. One day at a time!

• Susy L. says

boy oh boy… my swagbucks just credited today! so was able to buy the book today. one day before. here we go! Lord help us all. :)

andy, i had seen something early about a fb group as well to join? is this still a go? crystal did you get your instagram account up?

8. Kathy says

I am so looking forward to this challenge – getting up early was one of my goals for this year, and so far I have failed miserably! Can’t wait to read this book & participate. Thanks!!