How to Never Be Short on Money Again

Guest post from Robert D. Smith of 20,000 Days and Counting

Everyone in the world has something they would like to do or accomplish… if only they had more money. It could be anything — becoming debt-free, saving enough for a child’s tuition, or even contributing more to charity. The possibilities are truly endless.

The problem is that almost everyone is thinking about the things they would do if they had more money the wrong way. If you think you need money to accomplish anything on your list, I have a newsflash for you—you’re very, very wrong.

The reality is that you are not lacking money at all. You are not lacking time. You are not lacking people. You are not lacking leadership.

The only thing you are lacking is one idea. A single idea that will change everything for you, your family, and everyone you want to use that money to influence.

How to Find the One Idea

The one idea is never as elusive as we make it out to be. Many times it is something that is so simple we overlook it for one reason—fear.

More than anything else, fear is what holds most people back from finding the idea that will impact their income in a massive way. Fear that they can’t do it, fear that they will fail, fear of what others might say if they step out of their comfort zone and actually succeed.

But you know what the funny thing about fear is? Every financially successful person I’ve ever met lived with it both before and after they became financially successful. It’s the people who learn to operate in the midst of fear are people who become massively successful at coming up with ideas that work.

Your fears and worries are normal.

Stepping up, being courageous, and creating the financial life you want for your family and your loved ones does not require that you not be worried or afraid. You can muster enough courage to press on in spite of the fears and worries each day. I promise the ideas will follow.

The Question at the Root of Every Money-Making Idea

I’m sure you’ve heard this question in some form or fashion before, but there’s a reason for that—it works:

What value can I add to the lives of X?

Insert any type of group that applies to your special talent or passion (yes, you do have one) for “X.” For example, in Crystal’s case, X could be “moms.”

Now, there’s a surprisingly easy way to find out the answer to this question about value. It’s a simple seven-question exercise you can do in the next 15 minutes and every day from this day forward.

Your answers to these seven questions will inevitably guide you to those who need your help, your talents, and your value:

1. Whose life am I going to brighten today?
  2. What three things am I most grateful for today?
  3. What memories am I going to create today?
  4. What challenge am I going to overcome today?
  5. What value am I going to create today?
  6. How much joy can I create for others and myself today?
  7. What life-changing decision(s) am I going to make today?

Get out a pen or open up a fresh document and start writing. Right now. Set a timer to 15 minutes and don’t stop until the alarm sounds. Ignore all fear, be honest with yourself, and remember that you are never short money…you are only short one idea!

Robert D. Smith is the author of 20,000 Days and Counting and a branding architect and consultant to numerous best-selling authors, in-demand speakers, and entertainers. For over 30 years, he has managed the career of New York Times best-selling author Andy Andrews.

top photo credit

Comments

1. Carla says

This is not a criticism, so please no one take offense! I am wondering his ideas are Biblical? I guess I would have to read the book.

• shannon says

Whether they are Biblical or just real life application I think he provides great insight and inspiration for many of us. Thanks for posting Crystal!

• Stephanie says

I don’t mean this as a criticism, either…..what if it isn’t? I mean, what if he is just a secular guy (and I have no idea if he is or isn’t) who has some great ideas for us to reflect on? If our foundation is in faith, all of our life will be led by it, even if not every book we read is a Christian one.

Carla, one of the key things that inspired the way of thinking that allowed me to write the book was Psalm 90:12 – “Teach us to number our days that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”

Thanks for commenting!

2. Sherry says

One idea! He is so right. We are all only one idea away. If this is what it takes to find the ONE idea and I am all for it. I will definitly be trying it today until that one idea comes to me.

3. Elizabeth says

I believe the title of this to be very wrong and by the second paragragh I was so insulted by the author the rest of the the article I barely skimmed over.
    “Oh how dare you have an idle wish to put braces on your child if you ever win the lottery. It’s YOUR fault you keep getting financial hits.” Is basically how it got read. It went from ‘You should jump off a cliff to heck with the conseqences.” To ‘How can you be an asset to yourself & whatever communty you decide to be apart of.’ – Yes, this is negative feed back but what’s the point of getting feed back if no one differs on opinion. Had this been titled more approperately (my spelling is horrible sorry!) I may have looked at it a bit more objectively.

Great ideas. I personally don’t believe that everyone has “one idea” that will lead them to financial freedom, but I do believe that we let fear hold us back from lots of great possibilities.

Fear can keep one from writing and publishing a great post. Or asking for a raise. Or starting a family. Becoming a stay or work at home mom. And yes, starting their own business, too. I just don’t think it is limited to one single idea.

I think that if someone gets it in their head that they need to find their “one idea”, that might hold them back a bit. What about someone who has a great job and decides they are meant to pursue some idea (not knowing what it is), and quits…he/she may not be able to support their family, and will hang on to the idea that they are going to come up with the next best thing.

I think it’s better to pursue one’s spiritual gift. We all have those. And that doesn’t mean we are all meant to have an individual idea that will make us millions. Some people are born leaders, meant to lead (or run a business) and some people fill the roles of a support team.

Just my opinion :)

Sabrina, thanks soooo much for contributing your thoughts! I absolutely agree that there is no “one idea” that will solve all of your problems. There are, however, many individual ideas you can discover that will ultimately lead you to answers and results.

I also agree that you should not quit your day job to devote all your time to searching for these ideas. Have you read Jon Acuff’s “Quitter”? That is a briiillllliiiiant book on that subject!

Thanks again for reading, and for your thoughts! :-)

5. sarah says

I want to be sure I understand this article. so, the thing people are lacking isn’t money, it’s an idea to make more money? and the thing keeping them from finding that idea is fear? is this what others took from this?

What an inspiring and challenging post! It’s so easy to underestimate the power of our dreams and what we could do if we really focused on one idea and pursued it. I haven’t read Mr. Smith’s book but I think I’d like to! I could definitely use more focus. :)

7. Lara says

I did not like this post and did not find it helpful. An idea? That sounds like someone looking for their “big break.”. I did not find this inspiring or helpful. This site usually has better posts.

• Brittany says

Not trying to be rude AT ALL, but I agree with Lara. I can spend all day brightening other peoples’ days, being grateful, creating memories and all the rest of the things on the list, but in no way will that make me never short on money again, as the title suggests. Yes, we should do those things, but they aren’t tied to my bank account. And yes, fear does get in the way, but not having fear does not equal having a great idea, which does not equal not being short on money. I think this article was very poorly written. Sorry.

I agree! I spend my days at home pouring into my children, and trying to brighten my husband’s day. I read, try to encourage people when I have the chance, and smile often. None of this has helped my bank account :) and definitely not my family’s financial situation!

• Krysten says

I agree! Not everyone is born with the desire to “make it big” and certainly not everyone is walking around with some big money-making scheme floating around in their brain just waiting for the courage to hatch it and make loads of money.
      And I know plenty of people who are trying to make money using their talents and creativity (Etsy, anyone?) and aren’t succeeding. I’m rather surprised that Crystal would put such a pie-in-the sky, impractical post on her blog.

8. shannon says

I love this. Once you answer the seven questions listed, you should have a good idea of what you are most passionate about. Once you zero in on your passion, you should ultimately follow this passion to help you create one good idea of how you will implement your passion into something productive. If you are driven, you then have the ability to create one good idea which could make you money. I totally agree that many people let their good idea go to waste because they think they need money to implement it. In some cases, this is just an excuse to let fear hold you back from accomplishing your dreams. So start that blog, write that book, or call that publisher and you may be surprised how little money or time you really needed to let that one first idea blossom. Great Post!

While I love my vocation very much, it is definitely something that won’t make alot of money. My husband is in a vocation that also doesn’t make a whole lot. Both of us are in fields that reach and work with people, so that is our focus rather than making money – we help people learn, grow and change into the people they are meant to become.

Instead of trying to make more money, we realized we needed to focus our lifestyle on what was really important to us rather than keeping up and trying for a certain “look”. This may not have been a money making idea, per se, in that more money didn’t come in. It was a money making idea in that less money is going out, so we have far more money to work with. This isn’t the same type of idea that Mr. Smith is talking about (as far as I can tell here without reading his book) but it had the same result for us.

Lea

Thanks for your story, Lea! So glad that you and your husband are able to work in a field that allows you to touch lives in a positive way.

More so than finding a way to make LOTS of money, this post was more about finding a way to have the amount of money that is right for you. In your family’s case, it sounds like you came up with an idea that has allowed money to not be a source of worry in your lives. Congrats on that :-)

• sarah says

I wish that you had worded it more like this in the article. it would have made more sense. thanks for saying it here!

10. Ellen says

Interesting ideas.

It does seem a bit presumptuous, though, to broadly proclaim that no one is short on money. There are people in incredibly tight life situations who need more than ‘one idea’.

For those who are looking to make some extra income from home while still being able to stay home with your children I’d recommend looking into an awesome new direct sales business that I’ve recently joined. There are no fees to start, no parties to throw. And no inventory to carry. You sell beautiful jewelry including pieces that are worn by celebrities at great prices. The jewelry really sells itself and it’s been such a blessing for me and my family to discover an opportunity that alliws me to stay at home with my babies while helping to provide financially. If you’re interested in learning more about it please click my link or email me. Blessings!

12. shannon says

It must be a very helpful and insightful book with 138 reviews and almost 5 star ratings so I’m hoping I can get it to read. This post comes at a perfect time in my life when I need a jumpstart.

13. Amy R. says

Like others, I found this post disappointing. I believe that more than an idea, many people simply lack character. That’s not to say that hard times like job loss and illness don’t come, but for the most part, in our lives, when we’ve come up short on money, we were able to reevaluate our finances and find areas where we’d gotten sloppy. Again, I know difficulties hit, but for many, the character it takes to work hard, earn a decent income (whatever that means to you), and then manage that income in the most productive way will take them a lot farther than an “idea.” I know many people who have tons of great “ideas” but not enough character to get them off the couch to make the idea happen.

Amy, so sorry to you and all others who were disappointed by my post. I really appreciate that you took the time to comment.

I 100% agree with what you are saying about character. Without character, you will eventually fail, either personally, professionally, or both. For some, I think taking a good, long look at the quality of their character is the “idea” they may be lacking.

“Ideas” can be anything. They are what give us our answers.

• shannon says

That is exactly how I interpreted your post. I think (no offense at all) others are reading this too literally and perhaps missing the central message.

• Stacy says

I have to say that I am quite amused by the people on here posting the negative responses. Of course he is not going to have some magic link or phone number that will bring you all the money in the world. He is presenting a way for you to challenge yourself to find the creative idea that may be yet unfounded in your life. The point is to gain perspective on how you can make an impact and draw what you will from that. Just a thought, but if you are that negative about one small post, you are probably hopeless anyway. Thank you Robert and Crystal for the insight, I found it very helpful.

• Angie says

Stacy,
          I think calling someone hopeless is unkind. I am sure this wasn’t your intention, but it came off as such. I think people should be allowed to express their dissenting opinions about this article, especially it’s title, and not be called hopeless. I hope this comments can be used to share thoughts, opinions, and ideas in an encouraging manner. Let’s use this forum to build each other up, even when we disagree.

• Ledith says

“Just a thought, but if you are that negative about one small post, you are probably hopeless anyway.” And you are in a position to judge this how? Disagreeing with you does not make me hopeless, it makes me different from you. That is all. Well, that and less judgemental.

• Amy says

I believe the point of comments is to “comment” on the post whether you believe it is helpful or not, so I don’t believe people are “hopeless” just because they leave a negative comment on a post. I think the problem lays in the title of the post “how to never be short on money again”. It is very misleading and I think a lot of people read this article with the pretense that it would give them some money saving ideas or how to live within your means (whatever that may be). Maybe if it was titled (what I guess the 7 questions are titled in the book) ” Seven Questions to Seize the Essence of Today” maybe then people would have a different outlook from reading the post…..

• Anna says

I agree with you and Amy that the prerequisite of all great ideas is to build character through hard work, scarce even in my own life! For me this means laying aside the brainstorming process for a home business and devoting time to making my home comfortable with what we already have. I appreciate how the thought questions about adding value to people’s lives help me apply that! They remind me that creating value does not require boundless financial wealth. Yet I can sympathize with readers who are ready to increase their income but do not feel like they are sitting on a great idea. Maybe the article promised something different than it provided.

14. Jennifer says

um…. Well. I don’t know about this. I do agree that we allow fear and others to harm our dreams. Maybe it is the wording of the title. I am a master’s level graduate. I am also the mom of six. While I have ideas, sometimes circumstance does not allow for development of those ideas. I do not agree people(for the most part) who are lacking money, lack ideas. It sounds rather unkind to those who are truly struggling. Thanks for what you do Crystal.

• Joy says

Jennifer, these are my thoughts as well. When I was growing up, my Dad had lots of big ideas for some really cool inventions that really worked and helped people. Some he tried to get patented, others he did not. Despite my Dad’s great ideas, I still grew up dirt poor because of circumstances beyond my family’s control (not related to his inventions). What my Dad really needed was someone to believe in him and invest in his ideas. It takes money to make a lot of ideas happen. You can’t make money unless you put money into an idea.

And for some people carrying out their “money-making” idea could mean risking their family’s finances with no guarantee it will be successful. So, yes fear does hold people back when you have others to think about.

Even if you did succeed with your money-making idea there will always be circumstances that could make you short of money (i.e., a recession, illness, death, etc). So to say “How To Never Be Short of Money Again” is very misleading.

This post comes off too much as an infomercial from a motivational speaker trying to get me to buy his book instead of inspiring me. This article is as cliche as the old lottery saying, “All you need is $1 and a dream.” Um, okay but you still have to invest that initial $1 with no guarantee you’ll be a winner.

15. Beth says

I don’t think I understand this post. And it left me with more questions than answers.

It smacks of a “get rich quick” tip or a panacea–which I have long ago believed was not the route to financial success or happiness, or really anything in life.

While the 7 questions were good reflections, the connection between the 7 questions and how one then has enough money to never be short on cash again is unclear. Certainly, it’s not a 1:1 process. I don’t think that everyone is meant to be an entrepreneur. Many people have good ideas that don’t turn into sucessful businesses. If you don’t have a good idea, will you always be short on cash?

16. Jessica says

Such a postitive post! I enjoyed the questions. Now I am thinking about how I can create more joy today by brightening others lives and making memories.

This is great! Gave me some great ideas. I spent years fretting about money until I changed how I thought about it. I found that I had enough. There is peace in enough and then you think about what you can contribute. I like what this author guides us to think about.

Awesome article but I’m not sure 1 idea can lead you to financial freedom. I guess it would depend a lot on what that idea was.

The most important thing I took from this post was that fear is the thing that usually prevents us from pursuing our dreams, not lack of time, money, or other resources. And also that the fear doesn’t go away when we do have the courage to pursue our dreams, but that we can persevere in spite of our fears.

20. christine says

I’m not really getting how evaluating answers 7questions will give you freedom to find a way to increase your financial income.
    I’m very leery of anything that tries to equate physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, social wellness with money – the root of all evil (1 Timothy 6:10). No amount of money is going to fix deficits in these areas.

21. Michelle says

What a great post! I am an educator who also works as a tutor. I have so many great ideas to take what I love to do – teach – and start some sort of money making venture. I will sit down an answer those questions and take one idea and see where it goes. Thanks so much!

22. Jolene says

I can’t wait to read this book! I am a student, and what I am getting from this article is that you need so much more than money to make you happy. As an instructor really said to me: If you love what you do, you will do it well. You may not start out making a great salary, it may require great sacrifice. However, the money will come.

I think people can definitely have more than one idea that could lead to financial success and freedom. But as the author said, it is fear which keeps many from acting upon the idea. If all is done in the name of Christ, our motives and actions will be based on what HE would have us do.

When we left a secure corporate job in Al to start a vineyard, not only did we think of finances but a greater consideration was the lifestyle we desired for our family. With 7 of 10 children still at home, the values we instilled in them and the lifestyle in which we did it was of utmost importance. Fear was definitely there, but, I thank the Lord my husband had the courage to pursue what the Lord laid upon his heart! Many have said, “I wish we could do that!” But, fear of leaving a secure life prevents them.

24. Ledith says

At the risk of annoying people, I’d like to say that my response to this is that it is bunk—one more of those feel good generalities that ends up making people feel bad for not achieving something that is not really achievable. Not everyone is cut out to invent or figure out one grand idea that will lead to personal financial freedom. I have worked in human services for 20 years and I know many, many people who are brain injured, physically disabled or have been so emotionally damaged that they are heroes for getting out of bed every day and putting one foot in front of the other. And look around, a lot of the great money making ideas are really preying on the unfortunate or ignorant—-who don’t need to be spending their meager funds on hucksters or useless cheap things that do nothing but advance the consumerist mentality. Finally, I see many, many people around me who are not rich, but who contribute far more to my community and, in some cases to the world, than this speaker ever will. Empty words raising false hopes—reminds me of those sales pitches for making a million selling real estate or time shares or Ponzi schemes. I expect better from this blog.

25. Amy H. says

I think for most people the income (or lack of income) is to blame on the check that comes at the end of the day. It’s what we do with it that really makes the difference.

And maybe that’s the rub – this is a blog about saving money, not necessarily making it. If I felt I needed advice on money making I would go elsewhere. To go to blog about saving money, it’s not unreasonable to assume those reading would approach the article from that point of view, hence the feedback.

I don’t disagree that those looking to be entrepreneurs are just one idea away from being financially well off…I just think that the idea that this article was written for money makers, not money savers somehow got lost in the messaging.

26. Ellen says

Yes, fear held my husband and I back from ideas that would massively impact our income. Fear of not being faithful to God’s leading in our life. He has been a youth pastor for 11 years, and after our first child was born, I became a stay-at-home mom. We could have made different career choices for our income’s sake, but we wanted to put other priorities first.

I completely understand the author’s encouragement and agree with it, but I’m not sure there’s a direct correlation to our income. I’ll reserve judgment until after I read his book.

Mr. Smith, if you’re reading this — we’re lucky enough to have an autographed copy of your book in our house, thanks to our dear friend, Andy Traub. Looking forward to reading it.

• Roxanne says

This entire post rubbed me the wrong way.

I personally find no inspirational or concrete value in the article. I really find no pleasure in being a negative nellie. I’m just offended that this is being offered as a solution to people with an income crisis.

My husband and I both make very high incomes. God gets all the glory for allowing us to steward His resources.

We never read inspirational, “soft” materials such as this. None of the extremely successful people we personally know consume this type of information. Our time is better spent reading industry and business articles that sharpen our skills.

I do believe everyone can increase their income, even those in low paying occupations. I do not see how reading articles like this will help, however. Learn how your boss got his job or started her business. Study all you can about what the best in your industry are doing. Read about the trends in your business, and about those people who are achieving success in their endeavors. Make yourself the best informed at what you do. Apply this information whenever appropriate, even if only to make a suggestion to your boss.

I just don’t think asking myself about joy and memories will improve my fiscal situation.

27. Bon says

Why are people getting so wound up about this post? Letting go of your fears and finding your passion is an avenue of becoming successful. In the midst of doing and creating what you love, hopefully you will stumble upon your ‘aha’ moment. Maybe you will not ‘get rich quick’ or become filthy rich, but what harm can a 15 min. exercise do? Take you one step closer to freedom? I sense a lot of fear in some of these responses…

28. Susan says

After reading all the comments I’ve decided to jump in with an opinion. I read through the post and blew it off at first. It wasn’t until I noticed the number of comments that I read it again. The comments are great, and I find controversy like this to be very enlightening. MSM readers are an amazing group of people.

When I first read the post, wasn’t impressed at all. Another commenter called it bunk, and that was my impression too. Pie in the sky rhetoric with no practical value from a guy just trying to sell books for his own personal financial gain. Not something I expect to see here at MSM. I may be misinterpreting tone of voice, but the wording of this article came across to me as insulting, like telling someone in a wheelchair to just get up and walk and don’t be afraid.

I’d expect a post with this title to contain more practical advice for building a financial cushion. Nothing in the post supports the title. The list of questions to ask yourself — on first read I saw no relevance to the title. After reading through the comments and thinking about it a little more I can see how these questions can help you come up with an idea, but the author didn’t do a very good job of connecting the dots.

Now, I would agree that one single idea can be, and often is, all it takes to spark an endeavor, but it’s hardly the only key to that endeavor being successful. To suggest that one idea is all it takes to “never be short on money again” is ridiculous, and to say that fear is what holds us back from finding that idea is very shortsided. Fear may be a major reason that people don’t pursue an idea, and I would think that people who do have the courage to pursue an idea would likely do so with fear. But to state that it’s fear that prevents people from coming up with an idea is arguable.

The question “what value can I add to the lives of X” is a good one to think about, but it’s hardly a unique conept. It’s asking yourself who your target market is and what product might you develop that will meet a need. A pretty basic business issue.

29. Susan says

Me again. Another thought I have had after reading this article. Hopefully I can explain it well because it is the main reason why I found this article so offputting.

Think back to your high school psychology and Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. People must meet their physiological needs before they will be capable of functioning at a higher level. The idea presented by the author seems to be directed at individuals who are well past the lower levels on the pyramid. MSM readers come from all walks of life, I’m sure, but I don’t believe the target audience of this post is consistent with the general readership of this blog. I say that based on all my years of reading posts and comments here and my own personal experiences in the business world.

The general readership seems to be individuals who are in the lower three levels of the pyramid: the phsyiological, safety, and belonging levels. Some are really struggling to just meet the basic needs of their families — keeping a roof over their heads and food on the table. Others are beyond that and functioning on the next levels up, and so on.

Indivudals who would benefit most from this post are operating at a higher level — self esteem, achievement, mastery. No one gets to this level without building up from the lower levels. The author asks the question of what value one can provide to “x’ where “x” is the target market, yet the target market for his book is not the general readership of this blog. Do you see the irony here?

Commenters have asked why other commenters are getting so worked up … author is not relating to them. They’re not at a point in life where his message is even fathomable. Please don’t interpret my comment to say that I think MSM readers are unintelligent or incapable of success; I’m certainly not saying that or intentionally being disrepectful in any way. I’m just saying that, in general, the MSM readership is not at the level that the post is directed.

I hope that makes sense.

• Ellen says

Yes, yes, yes! I’ve been thinking about this all morning and came to the same conclusion. You hit the nail on the head. Robert D. Smith, Jon Acuff, Dan Miller, Michael Hyatt, etc. — these guys work with a target audience of entrepreneurs and leaders. They have found success in encouraging others to pursue their ideas and push through fear. Obviously, there can be a direct effect on one’s income when entrepreneurship is involved.

However, MSM readers are not all entrepreneurs. Some are, some are willfully choosing not to be, some have no desire to be. There are all walks of life represented here, with the main common denominator being frugality. And there are lots of different motives for frugality: raw need, stewardship, personality, etc.

Obviously, Crystal is an amazing entrepreneur and a successful one at that. It’s fascinating to watch the disconnect between what she has found useful and what her readers find useful.

The needs hierarchy is a great reference point. I wonder if it’s also safe to say that some people have made calculated decisions to struggle with meeting basic needs because they are in a career or life situation that requires it. I can understand how this post might be offensive to them, although we can be sure that was never the intent.

Anyway, I agree that this is a fascinating psychology study! Yet another reason I get a kick out of MSM. :)

• shannon says

You did a fantastic job of reading this post and reading the comments to determine how the needs hierarchy is a perfect reference point. I am one of the readers who values this post because I am a stay at home mom who is also driving toward being an entrepreneur so this article made complete sense to me and it is highly motivating. However, another stay at home mom who has no interest in starting a business would not find value in this particular post. I really just wanted to commend you on your comment and I personally appreciate your analysis.

Susan, that makes perfect sense and sums up my feelings about this post and its appearance on this blog — which I hadn’t been able to articulate as well as you did. You have some great insight there. Maybe we should all ask for a guest post from Susan. :)

30. Cindy says

I don’t know how the author figures you don’t need money for anything on your list. I don’t know what is on his list but I don’t think it is the same list as most people. I don’t see anything in this post that would help me never be short on money again. There are a multitude of things that could cause even the richest person to one day be short on money. Never is a long time. I have to agree with other comments that if the book isn’t any deeper than this article it wouldn’t be worth buying.

31. Sandy says

I can’t remember the last time I worried about money. It’s not that I ever had a great deal of it, nor do I need massive amounts of it. You see, I know without a doubt the Lord will provide for me. He always has and He always will. I have an ongoing list which I refer to as my List for the Lord. I write down the desires of my heart and one by one, I eventually receive them. They don’t necessarily come in the order I list them, but they are prayers answered, none the less. In August of 2011 I injured myself transferring my mom from her bed to her wheelchair. The doctor told me my injury would require surgery and a good 6 month recovery. The news was horrifying to me for I knew it would mean my mom would have to go to a nursing home. I had taken care of her in her home for 5 1/2 years and I so didn’t want her to spend the rest of her life there. It was truly the desire of my heart to have her home again with me. But things didn’t look promising. The ACL replacment took what seemed like forever to heal. I had no job, no income, only a small savings left and my IRA to lean on. No massive amounts of money, just faith and prayer. When my mom had been at the nursing home for 8 months it looked as though I would never be strong enough to care for her on my own again. Then, one day I called to speak with the physical therapist from the V.A. who would come to our home to perform safety assessments to fill her in on all which was going on with my mom. It was that day I finally would see the blessing I had been praying for. Our therapist authorized approval to gift my mom a ceiling lift which would allow me to bring her home and care for her on my own with my leg just as it was. I didn’t need money. My prayer request was answered. After 13 months my mom returned home. The answer isn’t one idea. The answer to everything is turning to God. Sure, I had one idea…to get my mom home. It was my focus each and every day. But giving thanks, laying out my prayer request before the Lord and waiting is always the answer. No fears ever remain when you turn to the Lord. He will calm your fear, answer your prayers and provide. And that you can be sure of.