4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 8 Update

I had planned to do yesterday’s 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home projects after dinner last night… and that plan failed. And rather than stay up late to do it and post about it, I went to bed at a decent hour and got up and did it this morning.

Here’s what my dresser looked liked pre-cleaning… {Yes, my dresser is in our closet!}

And the top dresser drawer was even worse!

After 20 minutes, the entire dresser was cleaned out and oh so much better!

How you do on Day 8? I’d love to have you share your progress and success with us so we can be inspired. Either post a link to your blog post below or leave a comment with your update.

I also wiped down the doorknobs and was surprised that it took me less than 5 minutes to do!

Other posts in the 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified} series

32. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 17
  33. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 17 Update
  34. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 18
  35. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 19 Update
  36. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 20

Comments

Yeah… I totally skipped the dresser assignment. I could open up any drawer in this house and I think you’d have a heart attack. LOL!
    And I tend to be unmotivated most of the time after dinner that’s like the universal sign that it’s time to stop for the day.

I love the idea of the dresser being in the closet! That must make your bedroom seem so spacious. Seeing the coupons on top of your dresser made me smile. It also took me about 20 minutes as opposed to 10 minutes for this task.

Proof that you are human just like the rest of us! :) Sometimes things just don’t get done when they are planned.

This series has been such a great motivation for me!! I hope to keep it up!

We did our door knobs and light switches. The kids helped and was a quick job. I helped my son organize one of his drawers and my daughter worked on hers. It didn’t take very long and they do look so much better.

Your scarf looks like it is coming along nicely. :)

5. K says

Thanks for this series.

I was wondering if you have any advice for the following:

I’m a fairly organized person, however, I find it difficult to budget for storage item/units that would make it easier for me to store items for organization.

For example, I currently have several office supplies, school supplies and miscellaneous electronics that need to store. Currently, the items are organized in labeled cardboard boxes. (I know exactly which box that I need to go to in the event I have need for one of these items.) I just don’t like how it looks. Not appealing at all.

Some of the more aesthetic storage units that I’d like to purchase seem a bit costly, however.

Also, I need a way to store the various unit packs that I use for my daughter’s home school lessons. Some of the unit packs have large, bulky posters that I don’t want to bend. I thought of using plastic garment bags or something of the like. Then I’d need a wardrobe to store those in. :)

Again, Thanks for this series.

I’ve

• K says

I do like the Dollar Tree, but never really considered shopping there for something that would fit my storage needs. (I suppose I wondered about the quality.) I do love buying other items from there, however.

I never really considered Big Lots.

I will definitely check back at the Dollar Tree and I’ll shop Big Lots as well.

Thanks!

• Heather says

K,
          Perhaps you could try your local Craigslist. I have found storage pieces I need at great prices, used but in good shape. I would suggest you try searching under lots of names since people use different terms for items. If you need a storage cabinet with shelves for example, I would try different searches in their search engine: cabinet, storage, shelves, shelving, armoire, wardrobe, hutch, etc.
          Then you can make your storage pretty and fit your decor! And maybe you could hide the posters behind the cabinet/shelving.

If the boxes are organized and fit what you want have you thought of perhaps getting some wrapping paper you like the looks of? I wouldn’t suggest wrapping the bottoms of the boxes as you slide/move them when they are needed but it should be fairly cheep & easy and if you ever want to change designs/looks then it’s no big deal.

Just an idea. Good luck!

6. Maureen says

That’s messy? Honey, come see my dresser. Actually, I’d like to find it myself. ;) This is great. Keep going!