4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 6 Update

Missed this morning’s assignment? Find it here.

So, those 10 minutes I had assigned you to spend on picking up your house? Well, my house needed a whole lot more than 10 minutes.

Gulp.

That’s why this post is so late. I didn’t start on the project until later in the day — and it ended up taking me quite a bit longer than I was expecting! But better late than never, eh?

And the good news? My house is now quite clean — as is my vehicle!

Yup. That’s what the car looked like. I can’t believe I’m posting these online. But hey, you might as well see it exactly as it is so that you don’t somehow have some impression that I have my act altogether.

Ah. Much better. Oh and that tub? It’s our emergency box, packed with every thing you might ever wish you had when you’re out and about (wipes, ibuprofen, bags, hand sanitizer, etc.)

It’s been a life-saver on more than one occasion. I highly recommend everyone have a similar tub in your car. It’s a great way to use some of the freebies and samples that come in the mail, too.

How you do on Day 6? I’d love to have you share your progress and success with us so we can be inspired. Either post a link to your blog post below or leave a comment with your update.

Other posts in the 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified} series

32. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 17
  33. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 17 Update
  34. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 18
  35. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 19 Update
  36. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 20

Comments

Jumper cables, a blanket, anti-freeze, gloves, extra socks, candles and matches (if you are stranded in a car, they say a candle flame can keep you from freezing to death), high energy snacks(granola bars, peanuts, candy bars). Ice melt or cat litter, small shovel (fold up one) are also good ideas if you got stuck on ice or in snow. We have had to use them a couple of times and I am very thankful when I have them in there. The one thing I didn’t have and I wished I did was an emergency triangle. I got stuck on a curve in the road and could not get off more when my alternator went out in the middle of nowhere one time. I was in a very dangerous spot and wished I had a way to warn other vehicles. I generally also keep extra jackets in there as well, in case the children jump from warm house to warm vehicle and forget jackets.

I shudder to think what you’d say if you saw pictures of *my* house. LOL
    And forget about ever seeing the inside of my grime-covered vehicle. ;-)

2. Sara says

Some friends and I started a home organization group on facebook. We post your daily assignments and updates, as well as post our own before and after pictures. It’s been great to have the accountability!

Kind of on a whim, I decided I needed a box in my car today. I always keep sweaters in the car, because the weather here is finicky, but I was tired of them “floating” around the car. The only small box I could find was a flat rate shipping post office box. Eh, it works. For now. I’ll purchase a plastic box soon! I asked my group what they would put in such a box. They suggested wipes, extra diapers, extra clothes, non-perishable snacks, car activities, and water bottles. I’m glad to see you also have a box and love your suggestions for it! Now I need to figure out what is most important for my own car box.

3. Allison Voges says

I also keep a storage tub in my van. My kids are 6, 5, & 3, so I keep several sets of clothes that any of them can wear (t-shirts, elastic pants, undies) plus wipes, plastic bags, a towel, bandaids etc. I don’t need a diaper bag any more but having that extra stuff has been so handy for accidents!

wow, I dont know why I never thought of an emergency box… I have supplies in my car, just floating around being messy of course! Going to the dollar store for a box! Thank you!

Nice emergency kit. We don’t have a tub but I have a bag I carry with the same items. The tub makes sense though. I like that idea…a lot!

I was able to put in a full hours work on my room of the week. I got most of the walls and trim washed in it. I had no idea that walls could get so dusty.

I drop my kids off at school in the mornings and they always seem to drag something out the van door with their feet. I tried to get everything out of there, but there are always those little essentials like the wipes. The box idea is brilliant! I might even be able to fit it under a seat. :)

I bet it feels great to have made everything clean! Homeschooling was a challenge yesterday so I did not ever get to the car, although I did the other tasks. Hoping that today I have the extra energy to get the car plus today’s tasks done. It looks like a light day on paper, so I have high hopes. :)

If I start an emergency bin for my car, I will definitely put some bottles of water in it. When we go on outings, no matter how short, my six-year-old and three-year-old boys always run out of water in their water bottles. I can’t carry enough in my purses or bags!

8. Rachael M says

I know what to do to organize my house, but knowing and doing are two different things. It has been great having someone tell me exactly what to do each day. Your Better Mornings challenge helped me establish some great habits that have stuck and I am hoping this one will do the same. Thank you so much for all that you do!

We don’t have an emergency box in our car. But I used to when the kids were in diapers. I think I need to add one to our car. We already have wipes and hand santizier but having a snack would come in so handy for those times the kids are just starving.

I spent 10 minutes in each room in our house and probably could have spent longer! I like the idea of the emergency box in a clear container. I made an emergency bag earlier in the summer and someone stole it from my car. I realized later they probably thought it was a purse and not filled with hand sanitizer and Band-Aids.