Health Food Store Shopping Trip

I stopped by the health food store earlier this week and was excited to pick up a few deals:

Health Food Store Shopping Trip

5 boxes of Organic Valley butter — marked down to $1.99 each
Lifeway Kefir marked down to $0.99
Ezekiel Tortillas — $2.89
3 loaves of bread — marked down to $0.99 per loaf
Pears priced at $0.99/lb. — $3.08 total
Raw cheese from a local farm — $6.59

Total with tax: $28.40

I was SO excited about the butter deal! I was almost out and now I’m stocked up for awhile!

Comments

• Wendy says

Butter should be going on sale everywhere soon. It usually gets to about $1.99 per pound or cheaper around the holidays. Since it freezes well, you can stock up soon.

1. Ana says

It made me giggle that I’m not the only one excited over a butter deal :) With baking season here, one can never have enough butter.

2. Sarah says

Um, yeah I’d be pretty stoked about that butter too!!!! As me and my friend say, “butter makes everything taste so much butter.” :P

3. Connie says

Can you freeze butter or do you store all that extra in the fridge? I don’t think I could use that much before the expiration–maybe with the holidays coming up…

Yes, I stuck it straight into the freezer! It will last up to 4-6 months in the freezer — though I’m pretty sure I will go through all of this by the end of the year with holiday baking and all.

4. jenn says

My entire bottom drawer in my freezer is full of butter. Local grocery has 2 1-pound packages for $3 this week! I’ll be buying more!

I usually just use whatever extra I have in the grocery money envelope that week to buy whatever great sales/markdowns they have that I know I’ll use.

That’s a great deal on butter. I love the baking deals at this time of the year. I did get Domino 4 lb packages of sugar for $1 each today when our local chain had them on sale for 2/$4 and I used .50 coupons that doubled. Made my day!

Can you tell me what a health food store is? May sound silly, but I live in St. Louis and I don’t think we have anything like this around. Is yours a national chain? Just curious, because it always looks like you get great deals.

• Jen says

It’s simply a store that sells healthier alternatives – such as organic, vegan, meat with no hormones/grass fed, etc.

I checked and there’s a Whole Foods in Saint Louis and a Trader Joe’s in Brentwood. These are both national chains. I couldn’t begin to tell you if there are local health food stores. I hope this is helpful.

Thanks for checking. I have heard of both Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods. They are both about 1 hour from my house. Not really worth the trip. No smaller stores either. St. Louis is funny with grocery stores. They are very limited and mostly local companies that can charge what they want. Of course there are a few exceptions, but none close to my house.

It’s not a national chain — there are only two locations. But I’d recommend checking out your local health food stores to see what they have to offer. Sometimes, they’ll have some occasional good deals or clearance offers!

8. Rachel says

Yum! That looks like the same cheese we have at our farmer’s market in Manhattan, and it is so good!

It’s just like regular cheese — only healthier. I’ve fallen in love with it so I buy it whenever I can afford it in the grocery budget.

9. Anna says

Killer butter deal! Especially for organic! I’m out of butter, and trying to hold off until good baking sales begin.