How To Hem Your Own Jeans

Life Blessons shows you how to hem your own jeans.

Do you have a fun and frugal DIY idea to share? I’d love to hear about it! Read the submission guidelines and submit it here.

Comments

1. Alicia says

I actually prefer the method to keep the hem. I think the above method works GREAT on trouser style jeans where the hem is clean and not distressed like it is for casual jeans. I’ve hemmed two of my pairs and a pair of my toddlers, and they’ve washed fine and stayed smooth. I would love a dressier jean though and when I get them, I think I will try this way!

• Ranna says

I agree. I love when I get to keep an original hem and I think it’s much easier.

2. J says

Sometimes I feel like a tiny person. I am 5’5″ and all my pants have to be hemmed. (No sewing machine)

• Wendy says

I’m the opposite. I’m so tall it’s hard to find pants the right length. I sometimes envy shorter people. At least you can hem and make something fit. I can’t add material to make something the right length.

• Anitra says

I hear you Wendy. My husband is short and complains about it all the time. I tell him “At least you have options to get your pants the right length!”

• Randi says

I’m with you Wendy! I get excited when I see a pair of regular sized pants with a large hem. It takes some work, but if I let them out and iron them really good, they look like they were made for me!

Learning to sew simple alterations yourself is probably the biggest way to save money these days. the cost of fabric can be expensive at times. But if you find something great on clearance or at a thrift store, and know how to do a few simple alterations you can have save a lot and have perfectly fitting garments.