Do-It-Yourself: Homemade Butter

UnsophistiCook.com shows you how to make homemade butter.

Do you have a fun and frugal DIY idea to share? I’d love to hear about it! Read the submission guidelines and submit it here.

Comments

1. tammy says

We’ve been making our own butter for years, whenever I get a great deal on heavy whipping cream. The salt isn’t a must, and you can also add in herbs/spices after it’s rinsed if you like. Some of our favorites are cinnamon or a sage/thyme/rosemary mix. (Which is awesome to use under the skin of a roasted chicken!) While a stand mixer would be very helpful, we’ve done this with a hand mixer or even shaken it in a jar! The kids love doing this with a clear jar (mason, or clean old pb jar) and watching it transform, it just takes longer. When you separate the buttermilk to rinse the butter, don’t toss it! It’s great to use in place of regular milk for a batch of muffins.

2. Misty says

I’m a little concerned about pricing. I can get a 2 lbs of Blue Bonnet stick butter for $1.50 any day of the week, no sales or coupons. Since the recipe calls for double the cream of the amount of butter we are talking about 64 oz of heavy cream. Now I think I’ve bought heavy cream ONCE and I don’t remember it being all that cheap. Is this truly a cost effective method or just a fun little family activity?

This is my first time posting and I’m a new follower to the site. Thanks to you I’ve cut our grocery bill in half and the food in our house has doubled and I’ve learned how to manage my time much more wisely. My family is much happier with the meals and I feel more pride over the plates I serve. My days are much more productive and I feel like I’m climbing out from under the weight of being a stay at home mom. So thank you so much for being here.

In most cases, this is more of one of those fun family activities, not actually something that’s going to save you money.

Thanks so much for your kind encouragement, by the way!

• Kristy says

However, Blue Bonnet isn’t butter. Margarine is always much, much cheaper than butter.

3. Lisa says

We do this for fun sometimes. But our favorite way is to stop at the whipped stage. It’s basically whipped cream, but instead of adding sweetener we add salt to taste. De-lish!!!

4. g says

We have picked up a quart of cream at Sam’s for around $3.50. We did an “experiment dinner” we applied different forces/times to the cream and made butter & buttermilk as well as whipped cream. We then made butter milk pancakes with homemade butter and whipped cream. The kids loved it!

5. Naomi says

We buy organic non-homogenized milk and at this time of the year, the ‘cream top’ is actually a bunch of butter – yum! I pour it into a large pitcher and scoop out all the butter before returning it back to the jug it came in. The last few weeks I’ve gotten about a full stick or more, and it is SO much better than the stuff from the store! : )

6. Andrea says

I did this about a month ago when I made homemade bread and gave it to a few people who had really ministered to me. It was nice to have the buttermilk too since I need just a little for something I was making. Reality it is cheaper to buy it but sometimes I get so much pleasure from making new things. I have also been making different cheese!

7. Fun Momma says

You can also make butter in a food processor instead of using a stand or hand mixer or shaking a jar. :)

8. Ac says

Thank you so much for sharing this. The kids and I made butter tonight and had a ball! Really enjoyed it on our cornbread, too. :-)