4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Waffles (Day 3)

I whipped up a triple batch of waffles before dinner tonight.

While I know that some people like pancakes and waffles fresh, I’ve found it’s so much more convenient to make a big batch of waffles and then freeze them for breakfasts later in the month.

And it’s so much cheaper than paying for frozen waffles!

Plus, while the waffle iron is baking one waffle, you can be doing other things in the kitchen — cleaning, baking something else, or even getting some blogging done, like I did today! Waffles are a great multi-tasking project since you have about 1.5 minutes in between each waffle to get something else done.

{Yes, can you tell I’m Type A that I think like this? My apologies to those of you who are Type Z and don’t get excited over the long list of possibilities you can dream up to accomplish while baking waffles! :)}

Here’s our favorite whole-wheat waffle recipe, adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook – a cookbook I think every woman should own!

Did you do any freezer cooking today? If so, I’d love to see the results of your efforts! Link up your blog posts below or tell us about your success in the comments.

Comments

1. Anna says

I do not have a waffle iron so I did not do waffles. Instead, I made more banana bread and homemade granola. I only made 2 loaves that are small and a big batch of granola. For some reason I feel like I am not able to do as much since I do not own a bread maker or waffle iron. I had to skip those items. I guess my day was like yours yesterday, I’m blah today but did do something. I needed to use up my bananas and last of the flour.

2. Zoya says

Ha ha, I’ve been trying to take advantage of those small minutes in between doing things, for example like quickly folding some laundry while making soup today. It really helps my productivity with having to take care of our two small children as well, since there aren’t that many big chunks of time during the day.

Your freezer cooking sessions always make me smile–since what you make for extras for 2 more days is what I make for my family for one day. When it comes to waffles, I’ve found that having 2 waffle irons is a huge help to getting breakfast to the table on time.

I LOVE the other things that I can do while cooking waffles. My laundry room is off the kitchen, so that is a big help, too! I usually use that time to do laundry and to start some soup for lunch.

I don’t doubt it — since I used to cook for nine people growing up! It’s been a weird adjustment how far food goes around here when there aren’t multiple hungry teenagers eating. :)

Two waffle irons is a good idea! We always did pancakes *and* waffles growing up because that way we could cook a bunch at once instead of waiting for 15-20 waffles to cook for breakfast or dinner!

• Anna says

@ Brandy. I made your recipe for cranberry and almond granola. The product is wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Congratulations on the new baby to you, your husband, and family.

I used butter. But I have used applesauce or other pureed veggies/fruits in the past. It works best if you use half butter/half puree.

I’ve tried applesauce in my waffles, and they didn’t turn out. You need a real fat here, and both butter and oil are healthy choices – better than processed margarine, at least.

I’m not afraid of a little ol’ butter!

4. Monica says

I have a waffle maker and have never used it. I can’t wait to try your recipe! Crystal, you’ve inspired me to make my own

Sure, I love pancakes and waffles fresh. But I think there’s a distinct difference between a homemade pancake or waffle that is frozen versus storebought.

I do this every week on Sunday – we take it easy (since we go to Mass Saturday night), make a nice breakfast, let the kids run around in their jammies, talk about church, and I crank out pancakes, waffles, or french toast for the freezer. Since my son goes to preschool 3 days a week, and he’ll be starting summer playground 5 days a week in about a month, things like this are a Godsend. I love knowing he’s stuffed full before school starts :)

And anyway, they also make a quick snack for the car for my 2.5 year old – she loves frozen waffles. Don’t ask me why…but if they have a bit of crunch to them, she eats them. ;)

I have your recipe posted inside my ‘baking cabinet’. I love it! I double or triple it. (And I have to use 2 irons too Brandy!;)

Sometimes I sub out 1/4 cup of flour for cocoa :-)
    Mmm- Chocolate Waffles!

There’s SO much you can do with a chocolate waffle too!
        Dessert (with a scoop of ice cream and choc. syrup)…or breakfast… or even ‘peanut butter breakfast sandwiches’ when you are in a rush; you can just pop them from the freezer to the toaster!

• Meredith says

You guys all must have Belgian waffle makers. Mine makes the thin ones like Waffle House (per my husbands request). As soon as it’s warmed up, it beeps 20 seconds after I put the waffle in.

LOL! You would have to be SERIOUSLY type A to get anything done in those 20 seconds!!

(I consider myself type A-. I can get stuff done, but I’m happy to let it slide, too.)

• Meredith says

I tried the first couple: Put in batter, close, go put up oil, get out waffle, put in batter, close, go put up baking powder….oh the heck with it. I just ended up watching. I’d say I’m a type A- too!
          When I got married at the age of 23, I was gifted a family sized waffle maker. It made 6 waffles at a time. It was so bulky I sold it in a yard sale years ago. I still wish I had that thing. Doing one at a time stinks!

• Sara says

I got a waffle maker for a wedding present 5 years ago. I seriously just pulled it out of the box for the first time just for this! Can’t tell you how many times I was going to sell it!

I had *planned* to make a big batch of meatballs today, some for dinner and the rest for the freezer. I went to start them this afternoon and remembered I used all the eggs for breakfast this morning. Oops! So, hubby brought home pizza, and I’m making the meatballs tomorrow. Some days are like that! :)

8. Danielle B says

Okay, how did you get that trippy picture of the computer behind the bowl and waffle iron, with the same picture on the computer screen? Had you taken the picture of the waffle iron and bowl and put it in a previous post? Is it just me or is that plain neat? :-) (It’s way past my bedtime. That’s probably most of it.)

Loooooong day here with three sick children and an already tired mama. But I pushed through and ended up with four loaves of bread baked by the end of the day! I even ended up mixing some whole wheat flour into the second batch, so they’re a little healthier. We’re still working our way into the whole wheat thing. ;-)

Even though I’m not following exactly along, it feels great to be ahead on my baking and know that I’ll have bread through Monday without having to think about it.

9. Pamela says

This morning, I started the bread machine for your cinnamon rolls. Then I made your baked oatmeal for the children for breakfast. They really liked it. One of my children said, “I can taste a tiny bit of cookie in it.”

While the oatmeal was baking, I mixed up a double batch of your banana bread. When the baked oatmeal came out of the oven, the banana bread went into the oven. While the banana bread was baking, I mixed up your waffle batter and then made pancakes with it as I do not have a waffle iron.

Next to go in the oven was the cinnamon rolls. I used all whole wheat flour. They were a bit heavy. I think I should do something different next time.

• Zoya says

Try half while wheat pastry flour. Whole wheat pastry flour is much lighter than regular whole wheat and it’s great for baking. I’ve made pancakes out if all while wheat pastry flour and they were great.

10. Sheila says

I did the banana bread as muffins & the whole wheat chocolate chip pancakes from your freezer recipe list. The muffins were amazing! The pancakes tasted eggy to me, any suggestions? I double checked the recipe, not sure what I did to them. They aren’t bad, just different. I didn’t do any cooking yesterday, so it was great to get caught up. :)

Today we made our waffles while we were eating lunch. We usually eat pancakes or waffles every weekend it will be nice having some in the freezer for when my son wants waffles. Since my kids and husband are allergic to milk we can’t buy the pre-made ones from the store.
    Donna’s comment about adding cocoa powder is a great idea. I will have to give it a try next time.

we make pancakes (from scratch cuz it is WAY easy and even cheaper than pancake mix) and we usually put pumpkin puree, bananas, or applesauce in too – we make a ton and freeze – the kids love having pancakes for breakfast and it is super cheap!

we also started making our own whole wheat tortillas – they are only a couple dollars to buy a bag – but considering how many my kids eat it was a good investment in time to learn to make them – they cost like a penny to make but about 20 cents each premade – so silly but it is going to help us save $5 – $10 a month – and we are working on our baby steps right now – going towards baby step 4 right now!

• Brenda says

I bet the homemade ones are healthier too! The store bought ones have so many “extra” ingredients. But they are something I still haven’t attempted, how much time do they take?

totally! we made them with whole wheat flour too! here is the recipe we used

it was not super time consuming – honestly my hubby made them while I made chocolate chip muffins – so i didnt personally make them – but i watched him make them ;-) – maybe an hour and he made about 4 dozen! We froze more than half of them – we are now using the ones that were frozen and they defrost perfectly. our kids like them, we like them – texture is totally normal. My hubby was making them for the first time so an hour is probably the most time it would take – I bet we could make them even faster – but making them all at the same time was great and it saves quite a bit of money AND tortillas are flat – they take up hardly any space at all in the freezer!

13. diane says

I have made many of your recipes in the past and never had any we didn’t enjoy but recently I have had to go gluten free. I know one of your children has this challenge and I wonder if you do freezer cooking sessions for her and which recipes you’ve frozen successfully? Are there any that didn’t freeze well?

I suppose I am also Type A, I use waffle making day to sort through all my paper clutter. I have also added “extra waffle iron” to my yard sale wants list for this year, so that I can plug in 2 waffle irons in side by side and get the job done in half the time. I have ample storage area for 2 so why not!

I find it amusing that in that first picture… the set up you have in that recipe that’s pulled up on the screen looks almost the exactly same as the current set up on the counter. Waffle iron in the same place, spoon positioned in the same bowl the same way. Aside from the black utensil, it looks like an identical image.

Sorry, I just couldn’t resist giving you a hard time about that. :)

16. pam crapps says

I made the cinnamon rolls today.They turned out great and so easy with the bread machine. I used white whole wheat.

When I have made a triple or quadruple batch of waffles, gone through that work of making them and freezing them….they are gone in one breakfast. It is quite the let down! = ) I found though if I divide things up and place in different places in the freezer, they last longer!
    This is life with 5 males in the house!

• Stephanie says

I second that! A triple batch would be gobbled up by my family in no time. There are never enough left to freeze.

That is too funny about dividing things up and putting them in different parts of the freezer! Maybe we need to do that with ice cream and brownies at our house. ;)

18. Denise says

Your recipe is very similar to mine but I love the idea of vanilla so I’ll be adding that next time!!!

19. Margery Hilburn says

I make a quadruple batch of whole wheat waffles or pancakes every weekend. Instead of having a separate freezer cooking session, I just do it at breakfast. My kids will then eat them during the week; however, they don’t last long! My teenaged son and my two preteen girls eat like a pack of ravenous wolves!

20. Charity says

Any suggestions for a good (but not expensive) waffle iron? (We were given one for Christmas a couple years ago while my husband was unemployed, but when we learned it was $80 we grabbed that gift receipt and headed to the store to return it for store credit and bought some much needed items instead!)

• Meg says

I just bought the basic $10 one from Walmart or Target and have been using it for about a year now. It’s no deluxe but it gets the job done! I didn’t want to invest in a more expensive one until I knew we would actually use it!

-Meg

• Brenda says

Thrift stores have them all the time, and really nice ones! I am sure people get them as gifts but instead of returning them, eventually just end up as a donation to the thrift store.

• Lesley says

If you can find one, try and get one with plates that you can remove and flip over to a flat side. My waffle iron (a Black & Decker that my husband won at work) makes large square waffles with four sections, but the great thing about it is that you can lay it flat, flip over the plates and it is now a griddle. I use it to make pancakes. I can cook 8 pancakes at once! I never had a waffle iron until 2 years ago and now I use it every Saturday for waffles or pancakes.

21. Julie says

This maybe a dumb question, but whats the best way to heat them up? we don’t like them in the microwave, and the belgin waffles don’t fit in our toaster, and we don’t have a toaster oven.

You can warm them in the oven — I’d let them thaw some first so that they don’t get too crispy in the oven.

• Sheila says

When I am making waffles for the freezer, I undercook them slightly. To reheat, I just put them back into the waffle iron on a low setting. This crisps them up a bit and doesn’t take very long. I think it would work even if your iron has no settings. Just don’t overdo the reheat or they might get too crisp. I like to make a double batch at breakfast, eat fresh ones that day, and freeze the rest.

Since I made waffles on Wednesday, I made Apple Muffins yesterday.

I haven’t set down and calculated all my ingredients but I would guess that it is definitely cheaper to make my waffles homemade. I like to make them every once in a while and stick them in the freezer. Especially since I have a child who is allergic to milk and getting a box of non-dairy waffles is not cheap. The best price I have ever gotten was $2.50 for a box of 6, that was with a sale and coupon.

23. Lana says

I put 2 meatloaves in the freezer. I mix them up and freeze them uncooked. The day before I want to use it I move it from the freezer to the refrigerator and it thaws in time to bake it for dinner the next night. My family will not eat reheated pancakes or waffles so it is a waste of my time. I have 4 waffle irons and can really crank out the waffles when the kids and grandkids come home.

24. Michelle says

When using the raw sugar, do you have to let the batter sit so it will dissolve completely? I’ve been wanting to try using raw sugar for recipes since I found out I can buy it in bulk locally, but I’ve heard that it can leave baked goods grainy/crunchy. Would love to hear more ways you use raw sugar in general!

I pretty much use it in place of regular sugar in all baked goods. We don’t notice a difference — but we’ve probably also gotten used to it. :)

• Lana says

You can whizz it up in the blender to make it finer and it dissolves better.

25. Melissa D says

I woke up yesterday morning and saw your post on freezer cooking and was really excited since I was going to be home all day! Since I had missed days 1 and 2 I did both of those and on Monday I had made the kids rainbow pancakes and froze a bunch of them so I counted that for Thursdays! So now I have 1 loaf of banana bread (we ate the other) and 1 batch of cinnamon rolls in the freezer! (we ate the other batch for breakfast today!) Thanks for getting me off the video games to put food in my freezer!

26. mamak says

Thanks for this series! I’m expecting baby 3 soon and need to start freezing ahead.

27. Heidi says

Love it! Moms have to be queens of multitasking don’t we? Even if it’s trying to do something for 1.5 minutes between batches of waffles!

Does anyone know of a good waffle maker that makes “eggo” size waffles? I have a fun heart waffle maker, but these waffles don’t reheat in the toaster. I don’t usually have leftovers (3 hungry boys!), but would love to stock my freezer with homemade eggos. My boys can go through a box of those in one morning / snack. :-/

It shouldn’t, though I don’t know that coconut oil will work well. But olive oil, canola, vegetable, etc. should all work.

29. Meeka says

Thank you so much for the recipe this is going to be my first attempt at freezing breakfast food. On average how long does it last in the freezer?

30. Celeste says

I made some yummy waffles. I decided to use almond milk and almond extract. My husband said it was a little too much, but 2 of my kids ate them very well. My oldest daughter didn’t like them at all. I think next time I just won’t use the extract. I also did half water and half almond milk. Thanks Crystal for challenging us in freezer cooking. I have enjoyed it so far!

31. Joy says

If you like your reheated, frozen waffles a little crunchy, toast them, flip over & toast again, to heat through. I like them that way. My son likes them soft, so he reheats his in the microwave.

32. Kristi says

I love my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, too. I also have my mom’s edition from 1951. I have many memories of making things from that cookbook.

33. Patti says

I don’t have a lot of room in my freezer so I am trying other things this month, too. Yesterday, I made homemade yogurt. YUM!! I am enjoying this series and going to try new things like putting whole wheat in my waffles and making homemade tortillas. Great ideas!!

I made waffles a long time ago ( at least 7 years ago!) :). What I didn’t like about it was how hard it was to clean the waffle iron. Do you have a special kind or something that you use to keep the batter from sticking making it hard to clean? I totally want to try it again though!

• Lana says

The secret to an easy to clean up waffle iron is to never wash it. I spray with PAM for grilling because it is made for higher temps and mine never sticks. I just wipe down the outside and pick out any bits of cooked batter and put it away. Washing it is a sure way for it to stick!

35. Shelly says

I just wanted to say Thank you for giving me the jump start I much needed. I’ve never freezer cooked before or even meal planned and I’m finding this series very helpful!!!
    Would you use buttermilk in this recipe at all in place of milk?

• Funke says

I have been using this recipe for a while, I use only whole wheat flour and home cultured buttermilk. I sub flaxseed for egg due to egg allergy and they do come out very good.

Does this recipe make good pancakes? Do you have to do anything different?
    I made the cinnamon rolls yesterday. I froze all but 5. I served the 5 up for dessert and after the forks scraped the plates all I heard was complaining that I had frozen the rest! It’s apparently a good thing I did or they’d be gone by now!

I’ve not tried it for pancakes. Let me know if you do try it!

And I’m so glad you all enjoyed the cinnamon rolls!

37. Anna Beharry says

I am posting this comment as I am waiting for my waffle maker to beep =) by the way – these are the most tastiest waffles ever =) Also I have made the banana bread and I managed to freeze one (one is mysteriously missing) There were crumbs all over the counter and a few happy ppl around here.

38. Julie says

Yes! I made a double batch of pancakes and a big batch of taco seasoning-not for the freezer, just to have on hand so I don’t have to mix it up every time I make something mexican!

Wednesday, my daughter and I made a loaf of banana bread and some whole wheat chocolate chip muffins (her request.)

39. Madelyn says

“…the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook – a cookbook I think every woman should own!”

Off-topic, but I read this sentence and thought, “Oh nooooooo” because the idea of having a cookbook of my own is horrible to me! I despise cooking. I prepare food every day for myself and my son– warming up a bowl of oatmeal and adding toppings, putting together salads, sandwiches, etc.– but my husband does all the REAL cooking. And thank goodness he enjoys it!!!!

• Jill says

Same thought here- don’t forget the Dads/men who do the cooking in their homes :-)

40. Karla says

I finally got something made! I took Crystal’s banana bread recipe and made it into muffins. I substituted a 1/3 of a cup flax meal for a 1/3 of a cup of the flour. I used all whole wheat flour, coconut oil, and I used coconut milk for the milk. I also added a bag of Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips. The kids loved them! The bread recipe made almost 4 dozen muffins!

41. Chasity says

Can I ask….what kind of waffle maker you have? I have a cheap one that does not make the best waffles. We are making it work for now, but I would like to replace it soon.
    Thanks!!

I made a double batch of these Wednesday afternoon. We ate part of them this morning. They were beyond delicious especially with whipped cream and strawberries. I have noticed since I started cooking from scratch that the most things made from boxed mixes just taste awful.

I agree that the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook is a winner and would recommend it highly. A beginning cook can learn a lot: from cuts of meat and what they should look like to how to apply a seasoning rub. The directions are very clear in explaining steps and I feel confident to try recipes and techniques that might be new to me when I use this cookbook.

It also covers a variety of topics: poultry, pasta, breads, candy, canning & freezing, salads & dressings, and many more.

I learned how to make Beef Pot Roast from this cookbook and it is delicious!

• Jen says

I learned how to cut up a whole chicken. I still get the book out and follow the picture directions step by step. Hopefully, I’ll be able to do it without the book someday. :)

44. shannon says

I am enjoying these posts, but wish we had a little more heads up to participate with you. We are at the end of our ‘month’ money and I have yet to have all the ingredients on hand to cook along side you.

As someone suggested with your cleaning posts last month, any chance you would put the cleaning and freezer cooking in one simple page that could be printed out. All of your recipes are enjoyed by my family.

Yes, at the end of the series, it will be available as a download (the cleaning series is done as a printable and I hope to have time to proof it this weekend before I post it). In the mean time, all of the posts are linked at the bottom of each post so you can easily refer to them.

45. Amanda says

I was determined to make these but had a major flop in the beginning.
    I guess I didn’t think to myself, “You’ve never made waffles before! Maybe you should look up a tutorial?” After some googling of how to actually MAKE waffles in a waffle iron, SUCCESS! I was making beginner mistakes- too much/not enough batter, checking it too soon, the iron was not at the proper temperature- lol! I was a hot mess! But thankfully, I have 5 waffles to put in my freezer, yay! :)