4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches (Day 6)

So, I’ve shared lots of really simple, no-brainer tips here over the years, but I think this might qualify as just about the most basic of ideas I’ve ever shared.

In fact, I doubt I even need to do a post about it, since I could probably just put a picture and say, “I made peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the freezer today. The end.”

And that would about sum it up. But that would also probably be the most boring post I’ve ever written, too. So I’ll try to expand a bit on this basic of basic ideas, for those who would like a few more details. :)

I first happened upon the idea of freezing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches when Jesse was in law school and we were eating a LOT of PB&J. I usually packed one or two sandwiches in his lunch each day and since he often had to leave for school early in the morning, I’d try to have as much stuff prepped ahead of time so that I could just take 20 seconds to pull it all out and put it in the lunch pail.

While it doesn’t really take long to make PB&J, when your time is really crunched in the morning, it can help speed things up a little bit. Plus, I’ve also found it’s so nice to have sandwiches at the ready if you end up needing to leave to go somewhere unexpectedly and no one has eaten any lunch yet.

I listened to The Little Big Things today while making PB&J in an assembly-line fashion. {The audiobook has some good things in it, but the crass language is driving me batty! Honestly, that’s a “little big thing” to me!}

I ended up having to break out a new jar of jelly and peanut butter about halfway through. And Jesse got home about this time and he sat at the kitchen table and told me about his day while I finished up the sandwiches. Multi-tasking at its finest! :)

The end result: A big pile of sandwiches! I cut the sandwiches in halves, put them in individual baggies, and then put the baggies in large ziptop bags.

Did you do any freezer cooking today? If so, I’d love to see the results of your efforts! Link up your blog posts below or tell us about your success in the comments.

Comments

I made these today! My hubby eats alot of PB&Js for lunches – and about 2-3 days of the week, I forget to make my sons lunch until about 15 minutes before we have to leave for school – so this will be perfect for me! I ended up making 15 sandwiches.

I also got into the freezer food making frame of mind and also came up with some meatball things. I made pizza dough in the breadmaker. Divided the dough into 16 chunks. Then my son and I flattened each chunk – each one got topped with some shredded cheese and a meatball. We sealed them up and popped them into the oven. These will be great for some son to take in his lunch to school – all I’ll need to add is some pizza sauce for dipping!

Now I’m racking my brain for other easy snack/breakfast/lunch ideas. I love making muffins and freezing them too.

I did Mac N Cheese soup Kits for the challenge. If your children like Mac N Cheese they will like this recipe. We eat soup all year, even in the summer. Simple and easy to put together and throw in the crock pot on a busy day.

3. Melinda says

Perhaps a silly Q… but I see honey in your picture, and I have a MAJOR PB&H fan in my household. Does a PB&H freeze just as well… or thaw, I should say! =0)

4. Rhoda says

Never heard of freezing PBJ’s. What at great idea. We’ll be trying this at our house–only difference–we use almond butter as I am allergic to peanuts.

5. Angie says

Thanks for posting this idea. I was able to make both soy butter and peanut butter sandwiches. While I was in the kitchen, I decide to make a double batch of chocolate granola bars and freeze half. The freezer cooking spirit carried me away and I even made breakfast pockets. I’m tired but so happy to have some yummy easy foods ready when I need them. :)

6. Lisa says

Was so inspired by how simple and sanity saving this was! I went to the local brownberry outlet and bought several loaves of bread for a great deal of $1.39 and bought several pkgs of bologna and salami that was on sale this week for $1 a package and made 40 sandwiches for my husband with a slice of cheese on them. I freeze my extra stock of bread, cheese and lunch meat pkgs individually so it made perfect and efficient sense to freeze them already put together for my husband to pull out in the morning and he will be thrilled I saved him a couple of extra minutes! Thanks for the obvious and great tip.

7. Lindsay m says

Silly question, i’m new to this… can you freeze a turkey and cheese sandwich? When you pull it out to thaw, does it taste okay? I have a little boy who has never eaten PB&J… :/ How that works is beyond me, lol. But he is a huge turkey/cheese lover. Also- I’ve heard you can make “home made” lunch-ables? Any tips ladies? Thanks in advance!

8. Ann says

For an extra special treat, these are DELICIOUS, when buttered on the outside and grilled, just the same way you make a grilled cheese sandwich. After someone told us to try this, we’ve never had a “regular”
    PB & J sandwich again! :)

9. Mary says

I’ve been making homemade uncrustables for years. My kids LOVE Smuckers Uncrustables, but I couldn’t see spending that much on PB&J sandwiches just because they were round. In a stroke of genius, I used a wide mouthed drinking glass to cut out my sandwich. It sealed the edges perfectly and our homemade uncrustables were born.

10. Stephanie says

Awesome idea! I would have never thought to do this. In fact I just made up some for our long road trip we are about to make. This is perfect and will work great so excited to find something that will please my 3 year old and is super quick.