This week’s menu (& my plans to get back to regular freezer cooking sessions!)

Chewy Granola Bars — these are SO good, especially for being so healthful!

One of the women stopped at our booth at the conference this past weekend and asked me to please bring back my freezer cooking session posts and non-gluten-free recipes.

Truth be told, I’ve been freezer cooking rather haphazardly the past few weeks and I really want to get back to being more intentional and organized with this — especially since our freezer is rather bare right now. So thanks to the motivation of this woman at the conference, I’m bringing back the freezer cooking session posts after putting them on the back burner for a while. Expect to see one later this week, hopefully. :)

Breakfasts

Cereal
Strawberry Pineapple Smoothies
Creamy Rice with toppings
Scrambled eggs, fruit salad
Healthy Homemade Poptarts, hard-boiled eggs, fruit
Carrot juice, Oatmeal
Breakfast with friends at couples’ campout (I’m thinking of bringing this Honey Bun Cake.)

Lunches

Leftovers
PB&J, carrot sticks, apples, granola bars
Snack-y lunch
Chips, refried beans, veggies, fruit
Hard-boiled eggs, toast, fruit
Salmon, veggies, fruit, corn chips
Leftovers

Snacks

Fruit/veggies
Chewy Granola Bars
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Healthy Homemade Poptarts

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Dinners

Macaroni & Cheese
Dinner out at Chili’s with Kid’s Eat Free coupon
Barbecued Meatballs, sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli, fruit salad, Easy Whole Wheat Bread
Parmesan Chicken, steamed veggies, fruit salad, Blueberry Biscuits
Steak, au gratin potatoes, fruit salad, steamed veggies
Dinner at couples’ campout (I’m bringing fruit salad.)
Dinner with extended family

Freezer Cooking/Make Ahead Projects

Chewy Granola Bars
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Healthy Homemade Poptarts
Meatloaf
Honey Bun Cake

What’s on your menu this week? Share details and/or your link to your menu plan in the comments.

Comments

I cooked a ham yesterday, and 7lbs of split chicken breasts today, so that’s what I will be working with this week: http://www.savingmyselfsilly.com/2012/04/menu-plan-423-429.html

I’m not entirely sure on the when of everything, but the cooking part is done! I for one will also be glad to see the freezer cooking posts return as well. I’ve been doing it only haphazardly myself as well, and am trying to get a schedule set where I have a cooking day and a baking day each week.

This is the first time I haven’t planned a menu in months! I’m still getting over a sinus infection and bronchitis, and my 3 year old is getting over the flu. With just a month until my due date, my freezer is horribly bare, and I really need to get it stocked! I’m using this week to catch up on rest, recover, and enjoying the last few weeks before our routine changes. As much as I dislike getting sick, I think God is using it for good to force me to rest! :)

That said, I’m looking at those homemade poptarts and thinking I need some. Like now :)

I have Sunday-Tonight’s dinner recipes up on my blog and tomorrow we are having slow cooker bbq chicken and oven roasted potatoes. I’m still working on meals for the rest of the week.

Yes — except for one of us, the rest of us have gone back to normal eating again and it’s been so nice! We’ve missed carbs!

Just one of my children is gluten-free and yes, we’ve seen some great benefits in them by going gluten-free which is why they are continuing on with the diet. They’ve transitioned enough now, though, that the rest of us can go back to normal eating.

• Meredith says

What kind of symptoms was your child exhibiting that made you even think of going gluten free? I don’t know anything about it:)

Everyone in our household ( except me ;)) needs to be gf for the most part. Now that I am nursing looks like I’ll need to go back to being more strict. :P I love wheat!

3. Amanda says

Do you know of any recipes like this that I can substitute the peanut butter with something else… I want to make stuff like this and even no bake cookies but, my son is allergic to peanut butter.
    Help!

Can he use other nut butters? They have some really awesome other options available if his allergy is just to peanuts. Have you tried SunButter or Almond Butters? They substitute really well.

• Amanda says

He is supposed to stay away from nuts all together until we do further testing when he is older her is almost 3

• Justi Thomas says

Sunbutter is a good option. It’s made from sunflower seeds. It’s the only “butter” allowed at my sons nut-free school

• Lana says

I was allergic to peanuts for 18 years. For no bake cookies I used the recipe from southernplate.com which does not have any peanut butter in it and still tastes good. In other things like the granola bars you could try just using a stick of butter or some corn syrup (I know everyone is trying to avoid this) which gives the sticky gooey texture of peanut butter in some things. Here is the link for the no bake cookie recipe–http://www.southernplate.com/2010/06/chocolate-no-bake-cookies-mama-guest-blogs.html

4. Kelly says

YAY! I’m excited to see the granola bar recipe. My children have been asking for them and I’ve been refusing to buy them. I’ve been struggling with menu planning lately, maybe your freezer posts will motivate me. Oh, I will be curious to see what you think of those Poptarts. We did not like them. I’d advise using a LOT more filling.

5. Mama Jenn says

I just wanted to say- I downloaded your freezer cooking book, and your freezer recipes are AMAZING. I look forward to checking back and seeing more be available!

You get some heavy duty foil and put it chicken breast and an assortment of whatever veggies in it, we put chopped up potato, baby carrot, frozen corn, frozen green beans, but you can use whatever you have on hand. Then we top with a little slice of butter and whatever seasoning/sauce you may want. we use mccormick grill seasoning. Then you fold it all up put it on the grill for 30 min. Super yummy, healthy, and easy! Plus cleanup is a breeze!

• Jen says

My family always called these Hobos growing up. My mom would put in a hamburger patty, sliced potatoes, carrots, sometimes onion and celery, and season with salt and pepper. She would also put the foil packets on a cookie sheet and make them in the oven during winter. Yum… great memories!

6. Grace Short says

I’m waiting to see what will be in my bountiful basket come Saturday, but for now I’m going for easy stuff (pasta, tacos, stuffed peppers, and meatloaf) since summer season has started in my and my husbands business!

So thankful that the freezer cooking sessions are coming back!!! I was just thinking about them last night and this morning. I miss them :(

8. Brandi says

I made the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins a couple weeks back and we are still eating them. My girls LOVE them! Thanks for the recipe! They are definitely in our rotation for freezer cooking. It saves a ton of time and effort in the mornings, just zap them and enjoy. My SO is loving all the goodies we have stocked away in the freezer, thanks for the inspiration!

9. Angie D says

Wow. I need to get to this week’s plan before it is Thursday! I suppose the 7 lbs of broccoli I processed for the freezer last night and the additional 6 lbs I’ll do tomorrow count for freezer cooking this week? Go Aldi! I also put a double batch of your protein bars (subbing honey for banana) in the freezer and somehow they are not there anymore. =-/

• Katie says

I agree!! I really appreciate the gluten free recipes! I made the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins gluten free by substituting the flour with Jules gluten free flour (our favorite GF flour!) and they turned out amazing!!! Never would have known they were GF.

10. Lana says

Hubby and I are eating leftover for the next few days after having college kids home for Sunday dinner (roast chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy) and then a another group of college kids home Monday night (white sausage linguine). Now it is heat and eat for us. Then we are running away to our lakehouse for a few days and I do almost no cooking there as hubby wants me to really rest, yeah!

The couples campout sounds like a blast! Honey Bun Cake is an excellent choice!

11. Laura says

I too LOVE your freezer posts and have MISSED them alot!!!!! Will be so glad to see them again! :)

12. lori says

I made your pumpkin chip muffins yesterday. Delicious recipe! I kept about half for us to eat this week and froze the other half. I am anxious to see how well they freeze. It seemed like a lot of sugar and oil, though. Have you ever tried substituting anything to make that recipe a little healthier?

• Kelly says

@lori I have made the pumpkin choco chip muffins many times and replaced the oil with 1/2 cup coconut oil and 1 cup applesauce and they turned out terrific. This week I also tried a grain free pumpkin choco chip muffin recipe from Deliciously Organic blog that uses coconut flour. My kids have been eating them up like crazy, just the same as the original.
      As far as how well they freeze, you will be amazed. I actually like mine better after they have been taken out of the freezer and thawed. :)

• Kelly says

The Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins are a staple around here. They rarely make it to the freezer! My healthier substitutions: I use King Arthur White-Wheat Flour, 1/2 coconut oil and 1/2 applesauce, 1 c of sugar instead of 2. Sometimes I don’t even use a whole pkg of chocolate chips – just whatever I have on hand, although I think the mini chips work the best since I usually make a combination of mini and regular sized muffins.

• lori says

Thanks Kelly! I didn’t want to make substitutions yesterday since it was my first time trying the recipe (and also I was out of applesauce). Next time I make them I will try your modifications. I did only use about half a bag of chocolate chips since that’s all what I had on hand. (Can you tell it’s time for me to go to the grocery store? LOL) Nobody missed the chocolate chips; there were plenty.

• Kelly says

The Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins are a staple around here. They rarely make it to the freezer (but are just as delicious when they do)! My healthier substitutions: I use King Arthur White-Wheat Flour, 1/2 coconut oil and 1/2 applesauce, 1 c of sugar instead of 2. Sometimes I don’t even use a whole pkg of chocolate chips – just whatever I have on hand, although I think the mini chips work the best since I usually make a combination of mini and regular sized muffins.

13. Jennifer says

I am so happy for you that you are back to a “typical” menu plan. I have to admit really missing the Gluten Free ones, however. Two out of four in our house must be GF. Out of the GF menus I’ve seen, your menu plans were the most kid-friendly for our family. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas were I can explores other GF menu plan sites? Hopefully, ones that post breakfast, lunch, and dinners as well and are palatable for kids. (My children have sensory issues due to autism.) Thanks a bunch!!

14. Kristina says

I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate you posting your gluten-free recipes. Not all of your recipes are gluten-free, which shows how you alter your menu according to the needs of your entire family, gluten- and non-gluten-eaters alike. Keep up the good work.

15. Meredith says

I’m excited for your freezer cooking posts. I’m not that great with cooking meals to freeze, but I loved making cookie dough and having it ready to pull out when I need it.

16. Meredith says

Yes, keep the freezer cooking and menus coming. I’m a neat freak so the cleaning assignments don’t apply to me and we’ve been eating out of the freezer. It’s getting bare and I need motivation.

17. Nadia says

I love your gluten-free recipes, too, so please continue to share some of the ones you make for your gf child! I find so much inspiration in your menus. :)