4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #5 Update

If you missed this morning’s assignment, you can find it here.

Today was such a good day. I slept in and woke up feeling quite out of it. It has been a full week and Jesse and I missed quite a bit of sleep due to a child that was up a lot at night coughing.

I was so thankful that I’d intentionally set aside today on my calendar as a laid back day. I’ve found that I need days like this every once in awhile, otherwise, I start feeling burned out.

So, knowing that it was going to be a laid back day, I just took my time getting around, sipping my coffee, reading my Bible, and writing a short to-do list.

I took the day off from running and took a leisurely warm bath instead (which sort of counted for my 15-minute rejuvenating activity!) and we had a lighter homeschooling day, too.

This afternoon, I left the children with a sitter for a few hours and went to Panera to work on outlining my workshops for the Cincinnati Homeschool Conference. Since I was in no rush, once again, I just took my time to think and write, all the while listening to music I love in my headphones.

It was so relaxing — and I got a lot of writing and processing done, too, in a short amount of time. Often, I think that being more relaxed lends itself to being more productive. Don’t ask me why, but it just seems like that’s the way it is for me.

I came home to find these beautiful flowers from Jesse waiting for me, along with a really sweet love note. It was so random and meaningful to me. {Jesse isn’t big on celebrating “Hallmark holidays”, as he calls them, but instead loves to surprise me with flowers when I’d least expect them!}

This evening, our family went out to the new Chick-fil-A that just opened in town. We’re so thrilled that we finally have a Chick-fil-A here!

When we came home, I tackled the cushions. Honestly, I was a bit scared as to what I might find lurking underneath them — especially after yesterday’s pretty horrific results.

It was surprisingly clean! In fact, the only thing I discovered was a lone bobby pin! So it took me all of about five minutes from start to finish.

Thanks so much for joining me in this challenge this week. It was a great week and my house and life feels much more clean and organized going into the weekend. Have a wonderful weekend off — and we’ll resume our daily challenges on Monday!

How did you do on Assignment #5? I’d love to have you share your progress and success with us so we can be inspired. Either post a link to your blog post below or leave a comment with your update.

Other posts in the 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home series

32. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #18
  33. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #18 Update
  34. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #19
  35. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #19 Update
  36. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #20
  37. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #20 Update
  38. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home Printable Checklist and Daily Email Reminders

Comments

Today was another successful today. I have to agree with you, Crystal, that being more relaxed leads to being more productive. I also feel like I am more productive when I don’t HAVE to get something done, I ended up cleaning and re-arranging an entire room today :)

2. Angie D says

Oh, that is so wonderful! We did have opposite days, but your days sounds pretty close to perfect. My hubby takes the same approach to Hallmark holidays and spontaneous flowers, so yay for Jesse! AND, Chickfila! Ours was full of friends and animals, so not too stressful, but I so like my home too. ;-) Sleep well again!

3. Tracy says

I’m impressed your couch cushions weren’t hiding anything! Our couches suck things up like crazy. I have to pull the cushions off at least once a week. A typical find for me is 4 toys, a lone sock, and 2 handfuls of snack or cereal foods like popcorn or cheerios. Yes, that’s EVERY week. We’re such a mess!

Believe me, I was surprised, too! But I realized that it’s probably only because the “snack & movie couches” in the basement don’t have removable cushions. ;)

• Abby H says

I am so glad I am not the only one! Mine is the same way, its amazing what can hide in there!

• yvonne says

I agree. In fact one of my children’s weekly chores is to clean under the couch cushions because we lose so much stuff in there.

4. Lacey says

I spent my leisure time making bow ties for my two little boys and one for my husband for Easter! I also made a matching fabric flower for my hair! I had such a great time and it feels SO good to accomplish a sewing project!

5. Denise says

I’m actually kind of glad there isn’t a Chick-fil-A where I live because it is soooo yummy and addictive!

6. Chelsea says

The flowers are so sweet! :) We’re not big on celebrating the “Hallmark Holidays” either. I tell my husband that I would rather have 12 single roses spontaneously throughout the year than 1 dozen roses on one of those holidays.

Loving the series!

7. cristina says

i admit that i am behind 5 days due to my hubby being off work this week(he’s a truck driver so when he is home i dont clean,cook or anything else except spend time with him and the kids),but i plan on catching up tomorrow so that i can have sunday off and start on assignment #6 with you guys all up to date. but this is really inspiring,i feel more motivated to clean up and actually take it baby steps rather than the usual me,tackle it all at once. :) great job to all of you that did this and it warms my heart to see a marriage as great as you and Jesse have it. :) many more beautiful years ahead! :)

8. Juli Maiuri says

Thank you so much for this challenge. I am following along, although this has been a rough week, with one day a root canal and being spring break for my girls, I got a bit behind. Today my beautiful, helpful girls cleaned out the freezer (from a few days ago), cleaned under their beds (from yesterday) and cleaned the couch and other chairs for me today. They were great! Thanks for the daily challenges!

Sounds like such a nice, relaxing day!

I had a pretty good day also, though as I wasn’t at home I didn’t get to do the couch cushions… I did go to my first ever chiropractor appt though. I decided afterwards that it could count as my 15 minutes of something enjoyable–even if the appointment took longer than that. I’m nearing the end of my first pregnancy, and having all those loosened joints (esp lower back) out back in place felt sooooooooo good! :-D

Thanks for doing this Crystal–I’m definitely seeing a lot of improvement in the house so far. I’m looking forward to your assignments starting next week!

Have a lovely Easter!

What a great series! I ended up having a long day at work, so no home organization was done today. But I did get to blog about our free Easter table decorations and laugh with my hubby, so some good recreation time happened. :) I’m totally inspired to include 15 minutes of relaxation time into everyday and see if it helps me to be more productive, too!
    Thanks for the inspiring series!

11. Crystal says

I’m a little behind but managed to clean under the couches and small bookcases today. Definitely made me feel better about relaxing on the couch tonight! Great series, Crystal!

I don’t know if you’ve heard this trick, but if you throw a penny or two in the vase of tulips they help the flowers stand up & not droop :)

13. lisa says

You have beautiful handwriting! What a nice day you had. Love the tulips, did you know that a penny in the water will make them stand straight? We are out of town but I hope to do the tasks from this thallenge next week, I have had fun following.

14. Kristin says

Crystal probably doesn’t have any pennies. She uses them all on her HUGE grocery bills :-P

• Lana says

Hahaha!! Our son in law says that I can go grocery shopping and pay with a quarter and get change back but I’ve never paid with a penny :D

15. Ashley says

As a fellow G-free family, I’m curious what your family ordered at Chick-fil-A? We haven’t ventured outside of our own kitchen much, but we LOVE Chick-fil-A and would love to know it could be an option for us in the future.

16. Alicia Hart says

Last night I had some cramping (I am 20 weeks pregnant) so I did not do a lot of physical stuff today. I did however mange to dress and shower. Yea for a clean mom! I also got rid of at least 7 more items. I decided that if I get all of the smaller recurring daily assignments done and 2 0r 3 of the bigger ones, then that is great for us at this point. I love love this organized home challenge! Have a relaxing weekend!

Well, I ditched the to-do list at lunch time and we spent the afternoon with the hubby at the zoo! It felt great to enjoy the day and let the list alone and just “be” with each other. And, by the way, I am so bummed that we just moved out of the Cincinnati area, because I go to that convention EVERY SINGLE YEAR!! Stinks that the one I won’t be at is the one you will be! Hope it goes well for you!

I love that you mentioned Chick-fil-A! We live in Maine and we don’t have one, but it is ur FAVORITE treat when we go South. My husband was just in VA last week for a modular class and he forgot Chick-fil-A is closed on Sunday and he drove there. Very disappointed (but glad they are closed on Sundays!) Have you ever heard the Christian comedian Tim Hawkins’ song about Chick-fil-A? We love it! you can find it on You Tube.

• Lana says

We always try to go for ice cream on Sundays and then remember they are closed but good for them for continuing to do so!

19. Anna says

I’ve really been loving these daily challenges! It’s made it *fun* to tackle problem spots, and I love reading your follow-up each day of how you did. Thanks for the inspiration and motivation! :)

I’m really enjoying this series. While I haven’t followed what you are doing exactly, I’ve been adding tasks on my to-do list and tackling small projects here and there. It has really made a difference. Looking forward to the next few weeks. Thanks!

21. Danielle B says

I haven’t been able to do every bit of the challenges the last two days, but I just moved it over to my list for Monday. It’s my goal to use my scheduled afternoon “free play time” to knock those tasks out. Even though I’m a little behind on the tasks, my house is still looking amazing, especially compared to what it normally looks like come Saturday! :-)

We have a big trip tomorrow, driving 2 1/2 hours both ways to see family for Easter, so I’m focusing on preparations today. Laundry, outfits laid out, children’s baths tonight, diaper back packed, banana pudding made- that’s what my day will consist of!

Looking forward to a fresh start on Monday!

22. Julie says

Mmmm, chick-fil-a.

I can’t wait to join in next week. We had a semi-busy spring break this week so I chose not to add one more thing to my plate this week-but as we continue to prep for next week’s garage sale, I know I will be joining along!

I decided to do the 7 items project for 7 days because I don’t think I could commit to a whole month just now. I had to stop myself for the first two days because I wanted to keep searching and find more than 7 items!

I had to laugh about being scared at what you would find under your couch cushions. Just today we were deep cleaning our couches and discovered an answer to prayer–our missing safe keys!! I recently discovered they were missing from their designated hiding spot and was freaking out. My twins’ kindergarten registration is coming up later in the month and I had to have their birth certificates, which of course were in the safe. Thank God we found them! Cleaning our couch cushions is always a treasure hunt ;)

25. Nicole says

This was such a great week. I cleaned out my closet, bathroom, dresser, bedroom, shoes area, and purse. After I finished an area, it felt so peaceful. Clutter was causing a lot of stress in my life and I didn’t even realize it!

Hope you have a great weekend. Even though I didnt finish everything on the to-do list this week, there was great progress made. Thanks for the inspiration, Crystal!

I debated taking this on, but am already glad I decided to! I had to play a little catch up this weekend, but am so pleased with the effort!

27. Debbie Kingham says

Hi Crystal, I don’t know about your child but we have a daughter that had a coughing problem like yours and it turned out she had asthma. We didn’t think it was possible(DH had it as a child) because she never had any wheeziing but after taking her to an allergy Dr.on the advice of pediatrician found out coughing is a major symptom of asthma. They put her on asthma meds and the coughing stopped. This was like 10 years ago and now she doesn’t have it anymore. Just an FYI. Thanks for all you do.

28. Bren says

Chick Fil A just opened in Wichita, KS but we haven’t been there yet!! Thanks for great ideas and helping me realize I have limits!

29. Amy says

We were at the new Chick-fil-a on Friday evening, too! Now I wish I would have scanned the crowds a little better…I may have seen you!!! ;)