4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #2 Update

If you missed Assignment #2, you can find it here.

Today was a good day — even if I didn’t end up getting everything done that I’d hoped. Oh well, that’s what tomorrow is for!

My day started early in the morning with my Bible reading and coffee, just like almost every single day does. I love the quiet morning time to sip my coffee, soak up encouragement from God’s Word, and prepare myself for the events of the day.

And then I made out my to do list for the day and got my morning blogging done before heading downstairs to sneak in a 2.5 mile run before the children got up.

Tuesdays are the day when my mother’s helper comes — one of my very favorite days of the week. :) She gave the children baths and started the girls on some of their homeschool math worksheets and Explode the Code books while I took a shower, ran downstairs to do a radio interview (with sopping wet hair and no contacts in — not a good idea since I couldn’t see to read my notes for the interview!), and then came back upstairs and started our homeschooling for the day.

After we finished all the homeschooling for the day, we ate a very late lunch (at 2 p.m.!), the children played in the backyard while I fixed my hair, put on my makeup, and did a little blogging. Then we all headed out to Target for a quick shopping trip.

The rest of the afternoon was a blur and I didn’t get to the kitchen and refrigerator until 7 p.m. tonight. Better late than never!

Truth be told, I think some of it was because I was somewhat dreading this project. There are some house cleaning things I enjoy doing. The refrigerator is not on that list.

But it must be done, so I tackled it with gusto. ;) {Kaitlynn and I were being silly and posing with crazy faces while cleaning out the fridge together!}

I didn’t find any “science experiments” growing things in the back, but I did find a clothespin, a number of items I didn’t remember we had, and four opened bottles of salsa. Yes, I really should tackle this more often than once every other month or so!

Once everything was out, I wiped down the shelves with soapy water, threw out the expired items, and re-organized the rest of the stuff. You can’t tell a huge difference, but it’s nice to know it’s clean–and nothing’s hiding back at the back anymore!

{In case you wondered what Silas was doing while I was cleaning out the fridge, he sat on the floor and made chocolate milk, er, a mess! :)}

And here are the 7 items I put in the garage sale pile today. All odds and ends from the kitchen that we no longer need or use.

How you do on Assignment #2? I’d love to have you share your progress and success with us so we can be inspired. Either post a link to your blog post below or leave a comment with your update.

Other posts in the 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home series

32. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #18
  33. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #18 Update
  34. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #19
  35. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #19 Update
  36. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #20
  37. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #20 Update
  38. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home Printable Checklist and Daily Email Reminders

Comments

Love the chocolate milk! Oh how that brings back memories of my own children helping themselves to things in the fridge while I was busy else where. I once remember finding my 2 year old daughter (she is now 9) with an entire stick of butter in her mouth! (yuck) but she thought it was delicious and was very mad at me for taking it away.

2. Sarah says

I’m on to you and I found 49 items to get rid of, but I will clean my fridge out first thing tomorrow… Maybe. ;)

3. Laura says

Love the photos! They are so funny and cute, thanks so much for sharing! You are such an encouragement!

LOL! I didn’t know you started this series, but I’m liking it!

Love the silly faces ;)

I’d love to exercise before the kids would get up, but that would require me being out in the dark :(

Looks like a wonderful day! I might join in tomorrow.

5. Merrilyn says

I dread the fridge task…but I made myself do it. It’s amazing what a difference it made! And I now have 14 items in my discard/donate pile. Success!

A way to keep your fridge cleaning easier: put press & seal on the shelves. That way when things spill & get gross you don’t have to scour the shelves–just replace the wrap.

I know there is a cost factor to the press & seal, but I think you come out ahead based on the time you save that you can then put into other endeavors.

• Lana says

I love this! And I have a roll of it in my pantry! I am not a big fan of it for it’s normal use so this is a good way to use it up!

7. Couponing in MN says

Going to do my fridge now…..at 8:45 pm!! YIKES! But I am also striving to get our office cleaned up and do a quick clean up before bed so off I go thanks for the motivation! One little tip on the fridge that I started doing was using those clear shoe box containers you can get a WalMart/Dollar Store for $1 and organizing condiments etc…that way when I go grocery shopping I have a shelf that I kind of clear off before putting new food in…keeps things organized a bit better :)

8. Pru says

I am actually pretty OCD about cleaning my fridge so had cleaned the freezer portion a week ago … that left the fridge which I had put off because I knew I had a science experiment growing & kept hoping my hubby would throw it out but sadly no … I dealt with it today. There were no surprises but I have 6 bottles of open mustard in my fridge (all different types & all bought by my hubby who does not eat mustard, not entirely sure how all of them got open though.) Thanks for the reason to get this done today!!!

9. Charity says

We did our monthly grocery shopping today, so I cleaned out/reorganized the fridge this morning. I do it monthly when it’s time for grocery shopping; I find this makes it easy peasy (and doesn’t give it enough time to get really icky) :)

I set out only to do that cupboards today because I am donating a lot of food to our local food bank {since changing our diet and having things we don’t eat anymore, I now have a full box of food for them!}.

But – I also did the fridge! Feels much better to have it all organized and know that I am going to be helping people out also :)

11. Davonne says

Love, LOVE the pic of Kaitlynn!! Soo cute!! I didn’t do most of these today but I seriously need to give my fridge a makeover so I’m thinking that I’m going to put it on tomorrow’s list =) Thanks for sharing!

12. Sheila says

Today didn’t go as planned, but that’s ok. I got other things done that involved blessing friends who experienced the loss of a child this weekend. I learned a long time ago that family, friends & anyone in need comes before my to-do list. Will give it a try again tomorrow. :)

13. Danielle B says

We had a good day too, even if it wasn’t “perfect” or even great. Trust me, after the last few months, a good day is wonderful progress! :-)

I can’t believe how much I accomplished today. I didn’t get up early, didn’t get my shower before the kids were up, and the morning was pretty rocky. But, I just picked up on our schedule where we were and pressed through. We ended doing a quick clean on the kitchen, wiped down the floor (we don’t have a mop) and even cleaned out the refrigerator! Yay!
    After lunch I quickly tidied up the kitchen with the help of my son and oldest daughter (6 and 4) and then put the girls down for naps (4 and 2). Then I plowed through my son’s kindergarten reading and handwriting lessons. I was able to sneak in a nice shower after that, even putting on make-up and doing my hair! I don’t know how long it’s been since I put on make-up just for being at the house. I also put on perfume after reading your post, and my husband definitely noticed the make-up and perfume when he got home tonight. ;-)
    My oldest daughter woke up early from naps, so I took her and my son out back to play. I was able to plant all six of my tomato plants, six pansy plants, and two cucumber plants all while they played! I had been putting this off for almost two weeks after coming down with illness. What a load off my mind to finally have it done. And I wasn’t even planning on doing it today. It just happened since so many other things had already been crossed off my “to do” list! :-)
    I just slammed out a homemade supper (sticking to our goal of all homemade meals during April), quick baths for the children, brushing teeth, bedstories from “Storybook Bible” and prayers. I also managed to find 9 things to put into another Goodwill bag. So far we have six bags in our van for Goodwill.
    My major goals for tonight and tomorrow morning are to go to bed soon, get up at 6 a.m. and get my morning started before my husband and children wake up.
    I’m sorry for such a long “sharing” comment, but I’m really appreciating this blog series right now. I’ve been in a slump for several months, never able to fully pull myself up out of it. This is exactly what I needed! I’m already feeling more motivated and encouraged then I have in quite a while. Thank you again, Crystal.

I haven’t read about the challenge yet but did get my fridge cleaned out this week due to a cup of chocolate milk leaking down to every level of the fridge. Just glad it’s done and one less thing to think about! :)

15. Katie H says

Gah! I’ll never get organized!

I didn’t see your Assignment #1 until yesterday evening at bedtime. So today I determined to start in on the challenge. Had a productive morning, and then I was REALLY going to get my kitchen groove on after lunch. Only the vacuum people stopped by, and I decided to grab a chance for a free attempt to remove the vegetable oil stains from my carpet. And the presentation took until dinnertime because the salesguy was new. But that means my kitchen still isn’t clean (I just moved the mess around to prep dinner) because I had an IT meeting as soon as the kids were in bed and I’ve only just got the laundry in!

BTW, Crystal, a clothespin is not the strangest thing to find in a fridge. Last time we cleaned our, my husband found a sticky note with his login password under a tupperware. In my handwriting. Since I am not in the habit of writing passwords down (I’ve only jotted his once or twice because IT needed it), I have no explanation for this.

I know the feeling about a bunch of the same items opened! Last time I cleaned mine out it was croutons, this time I combined 3 containers of strawberries into one :)

today I threw out 5 very holey socks, 2 weeks worth of grocery store ads, and 1 2011 calendar

17. VictoriaB says

Lol, love the shots of you and your little one- funny! I’m tackling these projects too . Accepting that it’s ok to complete over a couple days.

18. Penny T. says

I was able to clean/organize the main shelves of my fridge. I did not have time to work on the door shelves but they are in pretty good shape so I’m not as worried about them. I’d like to tackle the drawers maybe tomorrow. I didn’t find 7 items to give away but I’ve been working on donations for the past 3-4 weeks and have donated hundreds of items (lots of clothes). I purchased veggie plants today for the garden and container pots so I’m excited that I was able to complete that today, as well. Tomorrow I will take time to plant them.

19. Diana says

Your opened jars of salsa have babies too?!? I think the record for us is three…and sometimes one of them doesn’t even have any salsa in it anymore!

20. Carissa says

Ha ha! I have almost the same refrigerator. I just did mine a couple of days ago…. not my favorite thing to do either. (Especially when I didn’t realize that something had spilled and was sitting under the produce bins…. YUCK!!) Thanks for sharing.

I read this post on cleaning out your refrigerator and immediately thought how thankful I am for my husband. Last week, he got the urge to clean out our fridge on a weeknight after he got home from work! I have no idea why he all of a sudden wanted to do it, but I was very thankful to him! Yours looks like it was a lot bigger project than ours, since ours is smaller. Good Job!! :)

22. Joleen says

I’m really enjoying the direction you have taken this year, it has been so motivating. I’ve been wanting to tackle a major purge of “stuff” from our house/life, but wasn’t sure where to start. I was able to get the fridge and freezer cleaned inside and out, cleaned out the lazy susan (how did that get so dirty), bathed the baby, and gave my other two boys a haircut. And found about 20 items to put in the garage sale pile. My boys are 5, 3 and 7 wks, so this was a very productive day in my book. Thanks do much for all that you do! I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us tomorrow.

23. Jennifer Kaiser says

When you told us to make a list of 10-15 goals to accomplish this week, I put “clean out the fridge” as one of them and actually did it yesterday! So I was pretty happy when you told us to do it today and I didn’t have to :-) LOVE the photos, they made it a fun post.
    ~Jen

Well, if anyone lives nearby me, you can have whatever you want if you’re willing to come and pick it up!

And I might find more things that are worth shipping, too, over the course of month so stay tuned for that!

I’m in St Louis, so probably a bit far for a whisk. I’m pretty sure I could buy a flat whisk for what I would spend in gas! ;)

I guess now I know why I was going crazy with cleaning the kitchen yesterday! I didn’t get much done at all today with the storms and getting caught out in two different hailstorms shopping and picking up my daughter from school since the buses weren’t running because of the tornadoes! It was a crazy evening, and I didnt even get dinner cooked. I ran out after the rains passed and a Tuesday special at a chicken place. But it’s all good. My fridge is clean and I’m ready for tomorrow!

Well it wasn’t the inside of the house that I organized today, it was the center console of our truck. WOW it needed it too. I was able to throw away some stuff and add to the garage sale pile!

Thanks for the motivation Crystal!

26. Anna says

I work full time outside the home and take care of 4 kiddos by myself but decided to join in the challenge. I did everything yesterday and today but I started my refrigerator cleaning late in the evening. I used a rolling chair to sit in to clean the lower shelves and before I knew it I fell on the ground. My bottom and head really hurt so I decided I would try to get the challenge items done earlier in the day. My refrigerator still needs a bit more work but I apply my “good enough” rule to my cleaning. Sometimes I just have to be “good enough” at tasks and mothering responsibilities. I am only one person :).

Some of these items are easy for my because I already include them in part of my routine, getting dressed, morning and evening routines, picking up before going to bed, making sure dishes are done.

Well I am going to take some Tylenol and go to bed.

We have a box in the garage of old rag clothes – I cut a huge pile of them to be used for throw away cleaning rags. One shirt was actually not so bad, so I sewed the hole in it closed and put it back in commission. :) I also used up some old baby towels to make into dishtowels and used some scrap material to cover two of our dining room chairs – I have four more to go.

I have never really reupholstered successfully, but I “ehow”ed it and found a very helpful video – I am now learning to sew from a guy named Bubba! :) Thanks, Crystal!

Well, I certainly *used* to. But I’ve not been as faithful in my cleaning plan recently — thanks for the motivation to pull it back out and get on top of it! Then maybe I wouldn’t have to Spring Clean at all!

28. BethB says

I didn’t do my fridge today because I did it a few weeks ago with the Simple Mom Spring Clean. I had expired olives. *OLIVES* How old must they have been?? The scary thing is, I do clean out the fridge on a regular basis. But I clearly stopped seeing the olives and put them back in after cleaning without thinking. Oh dear.

29. Heidi says

It seemed like every time I cleaned out the fridge it was always such a project and a little over-whelming with all the other things to do in a day. My solution was to clean half of it out every week. One week, clean off the shelves and the next week, clean out the drawers. I simply clean one shelf or one drawer at a time and put everything back before starting the next shelf or drawer. It has saved me so much money by helping me to remember to use things up before they go bad. If I have a busy week and don’t have time to clean it, I know that it will get done the next week and so it never really has time to build up or become a huge project. It literally takes me a little over 5 min. a week to do this : ).

Thanks for the encouragement to spring clean!

30. Ashley says

I have to say that today’s challenge wasn’t any fun for me at all. Half way through I was ready to throw in the towel – I had planned to do it during nap, but got interrupted and couldn’t start until nap time was nearly over. I was grumbling through most of it and then God gently nudged me allowing me to be a bit convicted. How could I be complaining about CLEANING my refrigerator when half the world would be grateful to even HAVE one?! How quickly we forget how fortunate we are. Thank goodness God is gracious and ever so patient with me!

Thank you, Chrystal for this challenge….it’s really turning out to be a time for me to be thankful and appreciate what we have!

My husband thinks the get rid of 7 things should be for EVERY day of the year :) He loves it!

I didn’t get my fridge clean, but I did sit at the DMV today for some time to renew my license :)

And I got rid of 7 things :)

32. Laura says

The fridge is something I try to tackle at least once or twice a month. I noticed all of your fruit is in the fridge , is that your preference or is it truly better?

Oh and I’m do jealous of your morning coffee . I’m 4 months pregnant and I cut it out completely even though my dr said it was ok to have a small cup.

Thanks go this new series

Red Raspberry tea is an herbal tea that strengthens the uterus and gives you iron. If you add nettle leaves as well, you will increase your iron. The Red Raspberry also gets rid of back pains. It’s wonderful during pregnancy.

• Laura says

Thanks. I will ask my doctor about it tomorrow. I’ve heard of this tea before. It isn’t 100% safe although, but really when it comes to pregnancy a lot of things aren’t. For some reason when I researched this tea it advised me to only drink it in the second trimester because it can cause contractions. I will have my baby via c section ( Its a long story, …I had a previous emergency C section, which is why I need one this time around, ) So I won’t go through contractions , hopefully, otherwise its a danger to me, I can rupture really bad. but I can always use iron. A very close friend of mine sent me this tea in my first pregnancy, and I never took it, but thank God my delivery was pretty quick, no epidural, and baby came out pretty quick with a few minutes of walking in the hospital.. wonderful delivery..
        Thanks again.

I’ve always kept most all fruit in the refrigerator because otherwise, we seem to have an infestation of fruit flies. We do keep bananas on the countertop, but they usually don’t last too long!

33. Carrie says

What time do you wake up in the morning in order to get a good start on the day, have quiet time etc?

I’m a “night owl” and have always struggled with being a “morning person”. I know if I committed to getting an earlier start on my day it would help me out in the long run. Thanks!

34. jenn says

So I am not exactly following what you are doing, however, knowing that I am not the only person cleaning is definitely motivating. I am a full time student and I have a full time job, so I generally neglect my apartment during the semesters. But Today I challenged myself to do 5 of the things on my ridiculous todo list and i did it. I changed out my winter (flannel) sheets for summer (cotton) sheets. (Off season sheets live in a space bag in the closet). I put away my 8 baskets full of laundry, the first half of the semester I only did the bare minimum on laundry. I am now caught up… we will see how long that lasts. I cleared off my dresser and night stand. And I emptied my binder of expired coupons.

35. Nichole says

I love the idea of this series and wish I could jump in wholeheartedly. . . But I have four very sick kids, ages 5 and under. Maybe I can jump in halfway through once they’re better, or just start over at the beginning on my own. It would be more fun to do it with everyone, though!
    At any rate, thanks for doing this and including progress reports complete with pictures. :)

Being in survival mode….I have a 4year old and a one week old!!…..I’m just trying to get enough sleep. But when life settles own just a bit, the fridge is on my list of things to do!

• Amanda L says

I only have a 9 month old and still feel like we’re in survival mode some days. Maybe its just the fact that she got RSV last week and passed it on to us as well. Hang in there!

37. Jessica says

I didn’t have a chance to clean mine although it needs it. My daughter’s 4yo friend came over from 9am to 430pm so I had my hands full with my two kids plus our little friend!

I did, however, Freecycle 5 food items (new, not open, not expired) from my fridge/freezer that I knew we wouldn’t eat before the expiration date.