This week’s gluten-free menu

German Chocolate Fudge Bites I made last week–so good! {And yes, I added mini chocolate chips. Why, of course! :)}

Thank you all for the gluten-free lunch ideas. I really appreciated your suggestions and feel re-inspired again!

Here’s this week’s menu:

Breakfasts

PB&J Milkshakes
Oatmeal (used gluten-free oats)
Hard-boiled eggs, granola bars
Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie (we’ll sub the chocolate milk for homemade chocolate almond milk)
Coconut Flour Waffles, scrambled eggs, fruit
Peanut Butter Swirled Banana Shake
Cereal

Lunches

Hard-boiled eggs, almonds, veggies & fruit
Refried beans, chips, fruit & veggies
Beans & Rice, veggies
Salmon, veggies, fruit, corn chips
Baked potatoes with fixings, fruit
Leftovers x 2

Snacks

Fruit/veggies
Flourless Fudge Cookies

Dinners

Dinner with extended family
Dinner out
Easy Garlic Chicken, Rice, Steamed Veggies
Frito Chili Pie, fruit
Goulash, tossed salad
Hamburgers, Sweet Potato Fries, steamed veggies, fruit
Dinner with friends (we’re bringing dessert–I’m thinking these Triple Chocolate Flourless Brownies.)

Freezer Cooking

Coconut Flour Waffles
Flourless Fudge Cookies
Easy Garlic Chicken

What’s on your menu this week? Share details and/or your link to your menu plan in the comments.

Comments

I’ll be making these four recipes in bulk and freezing them (except the pudding). They are all tried and true recipes that I LOVE.

GF Chicken Fingers: http://www.glutenfreeandaffordable.com/2012/03/crispy-gluten-free-chicken-strips.html

GF Waffles:

GF Slow Cooker Rice Pudding:

GF Banana Bread

GF

I might have to try those fudge balls nut free or with something else in place of the nuts. They look so good! I have made those KA fudge cookies and they are really good. I did find though that they work better with a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. My cookies did not come off well with just greasing the pan, but they did taste great! I hope you enjoy the brownies.

I’ve got beans simmering in the crockpot and dough ready for homemade tortillas for tonight. It smells so good. I’m getting very hunger. The rest of the week, we’re enjoying a lot of smoothies, grilled steak gyros ala Fish Mama, and other yummy food. I have a tutorial here for how to make flour tortillas: http://www.simplifylivelove.com/2012/03/homemade-flour-tortillas.html
    And my full menu is here: http://www.simplifylivelove.com/2012/03/weekly-menu-freezer-cooking-plan-35.html

Those German Chocolate Fudge Balls look so good – I might have to give them a try!

They were SO good. Notice the emphasis on *were* since they are now gone. I need to make some more soon!

Congratulations on being featured on the homepage of AOL. That’s where my publisher first found me… I’m rooting for you to have a cookbook deal soon, if you don’t already. Love your recipes! :)

Haha mine never last very long either. Somehow chocolate always seems to disappear so quickly. It’s a mystery ;).
        I actually am working on a cookbook… it’s in the beginning stage, though! I didn’t know you had a book. I’m off to look around your site to find more about it!

4. Meredith says

Ok, I’ll make some muffins one time to last us a week and we all end up gaining weight. So we have been munching on popcorn recently. Dang though, that stuff looks good.

We ate from the pantry/freezer all last week. I just went shopping today and stocked back up, but I think most of what we eat for this week and next will be from what we have. This week is short because we’re going out of town for the weekend to be with my husband in our new town.
    But here’s what we’re having while we’re home:

Can some of you share your experiences freezing the GF items? I don’t know if I’ve just experienced “operator error” or what, but I have not had good results freezing wheat-free baked goods at all. Any insight or advice is very appreciated!

Without know what your specific issue was, here are some general tips:

Make sure it is well wrapped and sealed (double wrap if needed).

Defrost only what you need in the microwave, never by leaving out. I find items become brittle if left to defrost on their own.

Items with a high rice flour content tend to shrink over time (this is true whether they are frozen or not).

Items with a high bean flour content tend to develope an after taste over time.

Hope that helps!

7. Noah says

How do you deal with eating out with your gf/df child? I’m finding it really hard to find things we can eat at restaurants that are totally gluten free or not cross-contaminated. We’ve done ok with sushi and chipotle so far, but that’s it.

I’ve had luck with P.F. Chang and whenever I travel I research the area and have been impressed with non chain restaurants across the country that have gluten free menus. Try using something like yelp for reviews or just even a simple google search.

• Noah says

Yeah, I’m looking into the travel thing now for when we head out east.

The problem I’m finding here locally is I find restaurants that list they are gf friendly, but they have 1-2 things on the menu that are gf and it’s usually something my 4yo won’t eat (like a salad). And it doesn’t help that he can’t have diary or eggs either. I’m finding more national chains that have gf options over local places, which is sad, IMO.

Have you tried http://www.glutenfreeregistry.com? I find them the best resource for finding restaurants (although I do also check urbanspoon and gfrap). You may also want to find some local bloggers. For example, I post reviews of NJ area restaurants (including some chains) all the time and even have a list of every restaurant in NJ that can handle a gf/df diner. Perhaps someone local to you has done the same?

8. Adriana says

Do you have a recipe for homemade chocolate almond milk? I love that stuff and would prefer to make it than buy it.

9. Angie D says

Thanks a lot, Crystal! I have now printed off all of the chocolate recipes from your week. ;-)

10. Laura says

I know you were trying gluten free for a couple of weeks to see if it helped one of your kids. Since you have been doing it awhile, I assume it’s working?

I love your recipes & plans. Inspiring :)

Would love to know how to make the chocolate almond milk. We use plain or vanilla almond milk but would love to make chocolate when we need to (like for the milkshakes). Do you just add cocoa powder or is it more complicated?

We’ve just been adding chocolate syrup (from Vitacost) to the almond milk. I’m sure there’s a way to make it completely from scratch, but I’ve not tried yet. Anyone have a great recipe?

12. Sarah says

Darn, it’s too bad I’m diabetic so I can’t eat anything too sugary. Maybe once I loose enough weight and get this disease under control, I’ll be able to indulge once in a very long while. I will save the recipe. Something to look forward to!