Good Reads: Rekindling the Romance

If you have a great marriage or a difficult marriage, you’ll find much encouragement, inspiration, and practical words of advice in Rekindling the Romance. My husband and I have a great marriage, but we’ve had our ups and downs and rocky patches over the years. We’ve struggled, we’ve both been selfish and self-centered, and we’ve both had to ask forgiveness more times than I can count.

This book challenged me to step back and reconsider what I can do to make my husband and our marriage more of a priority. In the busyness of life, businesses, children, homeschooling, and other things, it’s easy to let our marriage take a backseat. But in 25 years from now, very few of these seemingly “pressing” day-to-day things will matter more than our marriage.

I’d highly recommend Rekindling the Romance to all married couples who are longing to deepen and strengthen their marriage–for the long haul!

See all books I’ve read so far in 2012 here.

Have you read any good books recently?

Comments

1. Diane says

I just started reading Kisses from Katie, which I saw on your book list last year and it’s great. I am also getting back into Shakespeare (my goal is to read all of his works) and am reading The Taming of the Shrew (not my favorite but just reading straight through in my complete works of Shakespeare book).

2. Jenny says

Crystal,

Was the book about practical ways to rekindle the romance (if so could you give some examples?) or about the deeper reason to do so. Thanks for sharing!

Jenny

• beth b says

I listened to the audio book of that in November! My parents grew up in the Mennonite church so I found it particularly humorous. My Mom read it and took issue with quite a few of Rhoda Hansen’s generalizations and explainations of Mennonite ideals but she did agree it was an amusing book. We’re German Mennonite from the Midwest which is much different from her Russian heritage and West Coast upbringing.

• Mary says

I love your inspiration for ua to all read/listen to books more. Its been a helpful and fun goal

I liked parts of Mennonite in a Black Dress. I was disappointed though that It was more about generalizations of a few Mennonite relationships. I also found parts of it about a woman complaining about her life to the point that I got tired of the book 2/3 in. There are better books out there. If you want to know about Mennonite culture this is not it.

• BethB says

I completely agree. Both my Mom and I felt she used being Mennonite as an excuse for her ridiculously dysfunctional marriage. Which is completely ridiculous, especially when you consider every faith (as well as governments, etc.) have subjegated women at one point or another. My Mom also took issue with how she classified the German spoken by Mennonites but since my Mom was a German teacher she’s a little sensitive to that.

3. Missy G. says

Do you think that this book is still beneficial if only one spouse reads it? Thank you!

I just finished reading The Giver by Lois Lowry. It’s a short book (180 pgs) so it’s a quick read. One of my new favorites, its wonderful!

5. Heather says

Thanks for the recommendation! I’m always looking for books to read that will help me keep my focus on my marriage. It is very easy to become Mom first and Wife second, when it should really be the other way around. My hubby and I are studing the book Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs in our Sunday school class. It is based on Scripture, with loads of practical tips as well. Applying what we are learning is making our already good marriage even better, but it could also benefit those who are struggling, even if only one spouse will read it. Here’s the link in case anyone wants to check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Love-Respect-Desires-Desperately-ebook/dp/B001KYEF1K/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1330886939&sr=8-1

I am half way through Endurance – The story of Ernest Shackleton’s voyage to the Antarctic continent. My 13 yr old gave it to his 21 yr old brother for Christmas, and it made such an impression on him that he wanted me to read it and then read it to the rest of the kids. It is an amazing book…HIGHLY recommended. We ordered it from Vision Forum.

• Becky says

I read Endurance several years ago and it is an incredible story – even more so because it is true!

7. Sarah M. says

The most powerful marriage books I have ever read are “For Men Only” and “For Women Only” by Shaunti and Jeff Feldhahn. They are short, quick reads, but life changing. I cannot recommend them highly enough! Another one is “What Did You Expect?” by Paul Tripp. We studied that in a women’s summer study at my church.

I have just finished reading the Pursuit of Happyness by Chris Gardner. Made me cry so often, such a touching story knowing it happened in real-life as well. Going to watch the movie of it tonight, a big fan of Will Smith as well :). Going to recommend the book to my friends.

9. Carli says

I just read 2 amazing books. Wild At heart by John Eldredge and Captivating by John & Stasi Eldredge. If you want to better understand the man God created your husband to be, Wild at Heart is AWESOME! And Captivating was an awesome book about the way God created women to be and finding the beauty within ourselves and be who God created us as women to be.
    Next on my reading list is Love and War, also by John and Stasi Eldredge. Planning on doing this one as a study with my husband. We have a wonderful marriage (we will celebrate our 8th anniversary on may 1), but I am always looking for ways to make it even better and make sure it lasts. Of course the key to that is having the Lord as your firm foundation, which we do… but we still have alot to learn =)