This week’s {mostly} gluten-free menu

Green Monster Smoothie–it was a huge hit with everyone in our family, including Jesse!

We’re starting our second week of a gluten-free, dairy-free experiment for one of our children. We’ve been amazed at the improvement in their health issues in just a short while of eating this way. It’s been a bit of a challenge, but overall so worth it. We’ll see how this week goes.

Here’s the menu plan:

Breakfasts

Granola Bars
Green Monster Smoothie
Fresh carrot/orange juice, scrambled eggs
Green Smoothie
Oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins
Cereal
Gluten-Free/Dairy-Free Blender Waffles, Fruit

Lunches

Lunch at Cracker Barrel
Gluten-free pasta, hamburgers, steamed broccoli, apple slices
PB&J on rice cakes, carrot sticks, apple slices
Refried beans, rice, carrot sticks
Tuna salad, carrot sticks
Sweet potatoes, baked chicken, steamed broccoli
Leftovers

Snacks

Healthy Chocolate Mousse
Fruit/Veggies
Black Bean Brownies

Dinners

Hamburgers, sweet potatoes, broccoli, fruit
Baked chicken, tossed salad, mashed potatoes, fruit
Meatballs, steamed veggies, fruit salad, rice
Frito Chili Pie, fruit, brown rice
Goulash, tossed salad,
Dinner at Valentine’s Banquet at church
Breakfast for dinner: Blender Waffles, scrambled eggs, fruit

Freezer Cooking

Gluten-Free/Dairy-Free Blender Waffles
Meatballs
Goulash

What’s on your menu this week? Share details and/or your link to your menu plan in the comments.

Comments

1. Nancy Thyfault says

We are also having green smoothies (my 12 yr old boy calls them “Toxic Sludge”) but always wants one before swim practice!!

We are not 100% gluten-free, but close to it. (Gluten isn’t great for people like me with autoimmune issues.) If you want a change-up from the black bean brownies, I just posted my recipe for gluten-free peanut butter banana brownies. (If you leave out the chocolate chips, they’re dairy-free, too): http://puresugar.net/?p=3596

I am sure you’ve had lots of comments with great link-ups to gluten-free recipes, but just have to add a site that I use every January while my husband and I do a Daniel Fast, where we only eat fruits, veggies and other super-healthy stuff ….www.ultimatedanielfast.com

There are so many wonderful recipes on there that the whole family will like!

4. myranda b says

Crystal,
    If you dont mind me asking, what health issues is the diet helping your kids with? Just wondering if this would work for my girlies!

5. KimH says

I think its wonderful that eating a gluten free diet is helping you. Im so very glad for you & for your kiddos..

Many children have chronic colds, coughs, mucus, intestinal issues in addition to just being plain ol sick.. so do many adults, myself included.

Early on, I didnt seem to have the intestinal issues often associated with it, but I had massive chronic fatigue & fibromyalgia like symptoms. When I keep my diet 100% free of glutens they disappear. For me, its like a miracle.

Is there a difference between baby spinach and mature spinach. I see the two recipes call for the two different spinach forms for the green monster and then the green shake. I’m new to this and just want to make sure it tastes good.
    THANKS!
    Mary

I’ve been using Mrs Leepers corn macaroni noodles for awhile and have been really happy with it. To me, the corn pasta doesn’t seem to fall apart as easily as brown rice pasta.

We have two children with celiac disease. If you are worried about a gluten intolerance you may notice a difference by going GF. But if the child really has an intolerance or celiac disease then you need to make sure there is no cross contamination. If you eat oatmeal make sure the oats are GF (bobs red mill has some). Cracker barrel does not have anything that is GF and they can not prevent cross contamination per a letter we recieved from them. Although there are some restaurants that do have GF menus. I will keep you all in our prayers.

9. Lynn says

Just had the Green Monster Smoothie and it was awesome. It was the same thing I have every morning (I also add flax seed meal and protein powder) but today I added the fresh spinach! WOW! Once I got past the green… I found it had not changed the taste of my daily smoothie at all! What a great way to get the extra green veggie in my diet! Thanks!

10. Kelsey says

Thank you for posting about gluten free and dairy free cooking! I just found out that I am gluten, dairy, and egg sensitive which means I am not allergic but have inflamation responses when I eat these foods. I am on the look out for recipes so I have appreciated especially your recent posts! Thanks!

11. jenn says

You said you are going gluten-free/dairy-free….what did you sub. for the greek yogurt in your green smoothies?