Are $100,000+ income families more likely to coupon than those with less than $35,000 incomes?

CNBC posted an article yesterday with interesting statistics on couponers:

Constance Atkinson, a 20-year veteran of couponing, estimates that she saves more than $1,000 per year by scouring the newspaper for deals.

Atkinson, a Brooklyn resident, and other bargain-seeking consumers fueled a 63-percent surge in coupon redemption last year, according to new data from Coupons.org.

But the changing face of the coupon user may surprise you.

Households with incomes of $100,000 or more are twice as likely to coupon as those who earn less than $35,000. College-degree holders are also twice as likely to use coupons as those who did not graduate from high school.

Read the full article here.

Do you think these statistics are accurate? I find them fascinating–mostly because I know there are many readers here who make less than $35,000 who are avid couponers!

Comments

1. KimH says

I’ve been on foodstamps many years in the past & I didnt coupon. I didnt know anything about them. Heck, I was too poor to buy a newspaper. Or diapers, or formula, or electricty. If I did see a coupon I could use every once in a while, I would, but I didnt get very far with it.

Fast forward 30 years and m’honey & I make over the 100k together and Im a pretty avid couponer these days. I mostly use them for health & beauty products since we mostly eat meat & fresh or frozen veggies, but even then, every little bit helps.

Im the same person, but I was pretty clueless about savvy shopping back then and Im not now.

I also think that one of the things that drives more college graduates to using coupons is that 1. they had to learn to live very frugally while in college and 2. they racked up a nice hunk of tuition debt and that is hanging over their head, so the ones that care about getting rid of the debt are doing everything in their power to knock their debt down & coupons are a tool they utilize.

After saying that, let me say, there are plenty of college graduates who are horrible with money. I work for an internationally known giant company, and everyone there is payed very well.. I cant tell you how many engineers I’ve known who were so deep in debt they couldnt see out of it. I knew of one guy who had had his electricity turned off 3 or 4 times, sometimes for a month in duration, who would go into the company store & have himself a Starbucks coffee a couple times a day.

Poor choices put many people in debt, & wise choices put coupons on the table.

2. Mollie says

We used coupons all through college. My mother was one of those avid couponers that figured out how to get money back from the store; my husband simply loves a good deal. Fast forward 10 years and a huge blessing – a miracle, really – of a six figure income for my husband: we cannot imagine living a life less frugal. We’re able to put 100% of my income into retirement savings. NONE of our peers do this. They’d rather have the boat, the timeshare, the Disneyworld vacations, the expensive cars. We go without all these things AND we coupon like crazy! You should see our stockpile! LOL

I didn’t graduate with college debt; my husband has $11,000 from a 4 yr degree and another $5,000 from post-grad studies. So, not a huge amount by comparison, but significant to us because of our family size (6 going on 7). I can’t imagine why anyone would NOT want to coupon/save their hard-earned $$$. Seems like such a waste to me.

I would say that its correct, I believe that it probably has something to do with Education and learning to balance finances. However you would not believe the friends I have that make in the 75,000 range that are not willing to coupon either.

4. Beth says

The reason I don’t use many coupons is that I buy so many store brand/generic items and shop mainly at Aldi (which doesn’t take coupons). When I compare prices, usually these items are less than the name-brand item even with the coupon. There are a couple of name-brand items I use regularly, and I buy them when I have a coupon for it.

5. Sarah says

I have to admit that we’re one of those families that didn’t coupon until after we hit a combined income over $100,000 per year. There’s probably more of us $100,000+ folks following your website than’s you’d think, but we usually keep quiet, recognizing that we are doing relatively quite well. Nevertheless, every year, it seems like the amount of increased taxes outpaces any increased income even more, as we’re phased out of more tax write-offs that helped us so much only a few years ago when we were making much less money. Even after having a kid and taking on a mortgage, we’re definitely feeling the squeeze.

Living expenses keep going up, too, while raises are hard to get and many companies have freezes on hiring and raises, plus the loom of impending layoffs hanging over your head. Yes, these things affect families at all income levels, but a bad housing market combined with record unemployment rates really limits your options when any job changes pretty much means you’d HAVE to move. In my experience, most jobs making $50,000 a year and above really require you to be willing to move if you end up looking for a new job. If you’re upside-down on your home, that can be a problem.

Now, my husband and I have been lucky that the last couple of years of constant layoffs in our fields, and in our companies, didn’t affect us. But when you have that cloud hanging over your head, while at the same time previous lines of credit start running dry (in recent years banks routinely slashed credit limits and 0% credit offers have dried up, even for the best customers and credit scores). But saving money takes time, especially as expenses increase so quickly.

Couponing and other money-saving tips like you have on moneysavingmom.com are a great way to help increase that savings rate, so that hopefully we’re more prepared if we do lose one or both of our jobs. And a lot of the tips save both time and money, and saving time is golden for a working mom, and I’m sure that many of those $100,000+ families are dual income.

I know we earn less than $100,000 & I’m pretty sure we’re under $35,000, but we are college educated & we’ve only recently started putting more effort into couponing & deal-hunting. We also are fans of Goodwill & getting creative with what we have, but we are still struggling to stay ahead of debt though. :/