Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Waffle Recipe

When I found this Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Waffle recipe on Passionate Homemaking, I knew I had to try it.

To my surprise, they turned out beautifully! They were a little lighter and crispier than typical waffles, but they were delicious and definitely a winner gluten-free, dairy-free recipe.

Of course, in typical fashion, I had to tweak the original recipe. So here’s what I came up with:

Coming tomorrow: My homemade rice milk making experience.

Comments

• Melissa says

The original recipe from Passionate Homemaking says to soak the blended mixture (rice milk, brown rice, oats, coconut oil, vanilla) for 8-12 hours.

Then add the rest of the ingredients – this will soften the rice.

Just wanted to note that I have a regular, cheap Oster blender and it works just fine making these.

Another note: We tried all millet once and they were AWFUL (so bad we threw them away–NOT something I ever do)! Today I made them with a millet/oat combo and they were *much* better.

• Heather says

I second the plug for $40 Oster blenders! Mine does a great job, even on ice. I had bought a $100 blender of a certain well-known brand, and I ended up taking it back to the store, because it didn’t work well and leaked.

I’m glad to see this! We have a very nice Black & Decker blender, but I skipped over this recipe thinking it wouldn’t work b/c I don’t have a Vitamix.

I just can’t justify the cost of a Vitamix, at least not right now. Thanks for your comment!

Sounds yummy! Should the 1 cup brown rice be cooked? And has anyone tried this using all brown rice? (since it says you can sub brown rice for the oats)

A good blender will essentially make flour out of the grain, and you save a step by not using your mill to make the flour first. If you don’t have a mill, then just use flour.

It seems like most folks who use alternative grains wind up buying a grain mill as well. The price is much better when buying whole berries rather than premade flour, and the flavor/quality is incomparable, in my personal experience!

• lily says

Read the Passionate Homemaking link Crystal provided. Crystal used the exact same recipe – she is just noting her preferences (like using rice milk that is homemade & not bothering with soaking the batter), and she doubled the recipe. Since Passionate Homemaking gives a little more information about using the whole grain, it may make more sense.

THANK YOU!! You’re one of my hand-down trusted source for recipes, money savings and things, so when I saw you going gluten/dairy free I wanted to jump up and down! We’re pretty sure our son has a guten intolerance or celiacs (Still waiting for the blood work to come back) but in the meantime i’ve been researching going gluten free, and it’s intimidating! But if you’re able to do it on a budget it gives me hope that I can too!! And we LOVE love LOVE waffles in this house. Like probably too much. These look so good! and we actually have all the supplies already without running out and buying expensive stuff! Keep these cost effective gluten free recipes/tips coming PLEASE!

4. Nichole says

How well would these freeze?

I’m really excited that you are trying gluten free/dairy free – it’s something we do in our house as well. However, I’ve been afraid to cook ahead on too many gluten free items because I’m not sure how well they would freeze….

I freeze my gluten free stuff frequently, especially waffles. Be sure to freeze it fresh. Microwaving it or heating it will bring it back to fresh condition. :)

5. Kacy says

Since eating gluten-free, dairy free and refined sugar free due to health issues, I have a found a brand called “Pamela’s” (that you can pick up at a lot of stores) that offer a GREAT pancake/waffle mix and a cornbread mix, muffins, scones, cookies and more! They are all SUPER good!
    Crystal, I know you are working on GF/DF for one of your kiddos and I know I needed resources and recipes when I started so I just wanted to pass that along. :)

• Pam says

My son is also gfcf. Pamela’s pancake mix does have buttermilk in it. Everyone raves about it but I was bummed when I read the ingredients. :(

6. Billene says

I really enjoy see all the new recipes some sound really yummy, but do they all have to be gluten-free? I do not keep the special ingredients needed to prepare these food in my kitchen stock. Why not submit some with products we normally keep in our cupboards.

• Angela O says

Billene,
      Crystal has been sharing “regular” recipes for years and I’m sure those who eat gluten-free were tired of seeing those kinds of recipes. For those with special food issues, these new recipes are probably a breath of fresh air! If you search some of her recipes, you’ll find a lot of “normal” ones previously posted.

We’re just experimenting with gluten-free recipes here since one of my children is on a gluten-free/dairy-free diet, so I’m sharing a few of my new finds for those who might also be eating a gluten-free diet.

If you’re interested in non-gluten-free recipes, you can check out my recipes page here:

Many of those are our family’s favorites and ones I’d highly recommend!

7. Elizabeth says

We’ve been using this waffle recipe for years. Instead of rice milk, we just use water. You can also use any kind of oil you have on hand. My husband is also allergic to eggs so I’ve found it works almost as well to use 2/3 to 1 whole banana. You just add it where it calls for the egg.

These are really cheap waffles for us and they usually turn out beautifully! Of course, gluten-free is unpredictable. :)

8. Jennifer says

I had made this recipe awhile ago, using half millet/half brown rice, and they were awful, but I tried your version this morning, and they turned out great. Thanks for redeeming the recipe for me!

9. Herb says

What are gluten-free oats? Are they regular oats? We haven’t found this around us yet if there are actually gluten-free oats.
    Great recipe with regular oats though.
    Thanks for sharing.

10. Martha Moore says

Loved this recipe!!! Very light and not heavy at all. Didn’t have rice milk but used Almond milk instead and added some cinnamon too :) Thankyou