This week’s {mostly} gluten-free menu

Silas helping me make juice–he loves fresh juice and has been begging for me to make it every morning!

You may have noticed that we’re been experimenting with some gluten-free recipes at our house. One of our children has been experiencing some health issues and they are currently on a gluten-free, dairy-free diet for three weeks to see if it clears things up.

The rest of our family is adapting our diet somewhat, too, to make it easier for this child. It’s a new adventure and we’ll see how it goes! By the way, if you have any fantastic gluten-free recipes or websites you’d recommend, I’m all ears.

Here’s this week’s menu:

Breakfasts

Granola Bars
Fresh carrot/orange juice, scrambled eggs
Green Monster Smoothie
Chocolate Peanut Granola
Oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins
Cereal
Wheat-Free Pancakes, fruit

Lunches

Lunch at friends’ house
Macaroni & cheese, peas
PB&J on rice cakes, carrot sticks, apple slices
Refried beans, rice, carrot sticks
Soup, carrot sticks, fruit
Leftovers x 2

Snacks

Healthy Chocolate Mousse
Fruit/Veggies
Black Bean Brownies

Dinners

Steak, potatoes, broccoli, fruit
Black Bean & Taco Bake, tossed salad
Hamburgers, tater tots, steamed veggies
Frito Chili Pie, fruit, brown rice
Dinner out
Dinner with extended family x 2

Freezer Cooking

Black Bean Brownies
Wheat-Free Pancakes
Frito Chili Pie

What’s on your menu this week? Share details and/or your link to your menu plan in the comments.

Comments

1. V icky says

If you are going gluten free I might add, to read all labels and omit all wheat, oats, barley and rye and their sub grains. These are NOT all GF on your list for your weekly menu – Granola Bars, Oatmeal, Macaroni and cheese(dairy), Tater tots (coated with wheat), Lunch with neighbor and Dinner out 2x does not guarantee gluten free foods. If the kids feel better on the wheat and dairy free diet. If you decide to go back on the old diet and they feel bad again. Then you know it’s better to keep them GF and DF.

• Brooke says

Great comment – and remember that anything with modified food starch or food starch (unless it specifies corn), more than likely contains gluten (think, distilled vinegar, soy sauce, some marshmallows, etc.) They sneak it into everything.

• Debrah says

Soy sauce naturally contains gluten. It’s made from fermented wheat and soybeans. Try tamarind sauce instead.

• Mama Moose says

The devil is in the details, that is for sure. “Modified Food Starch” are my three least favorite words in the English Language. :-)

2. Vicky says

Good luck with your menus! Going GF can be challenging. We are in the process of cutting out ALL grains right now. There are tons of fabulous websites dedicated to the Paleo Diet, where you will find many fabulous recipes for adding more fruits and vegetables (mainly vegetables) to the family table.

Hopefully the diet leads you to some answers! We had to do the same thing a few years ago because of problems my daughter was having. It turned out that since she was a preemie her stomach was just still too underdeveloped to consume dairy like a regular toddler would. Thankfully she mostly grew out of it by the time she was about 2. Good luck with everything and prayers for your child!

I am gluten free myself so I have many GF recipes. Also I adore Gluten Free on a Shoestring, Stephanie O’Dea and Organizing Junkie http://orgjunkie.com/ – she does a Menu Plan Monday with a link up and many gluten free people link up to this so a huge range of blogs to check out.

5. KimH says

Wow, Im going to have to bookmark this page so I can check out all these links! Thanks everyone for sharing them.

If you’d like to read a really awesome book on how & what glutens do to our bodies, check out “Life Without Bread” by Allen & Lutz http://www.amazon.com/Life-Without-Bread-Low-Carbohydrate-Diet/dp/0658001701 Excellent read.

I’ve been mostly gluten free for about 8 years now.. I go thru phases where it sneaks back into my diet, or I just really need that cupcake or piece of cake, & the problems start again.. And its getting worse as I get older.

Flour is in everything just about that man has touched & processed. Many cheeses have it in them, and so do most frozen foods.

Its easy to stay away from glutenous foods if you eat single ingredient foods. Then you know to stay away from wheat, rye, & barley.

You have to keep on your toes though.. I ‘ve seen recipes “out there” that say they’re gluten free, but then turn around & use vital wheat gluten in their “bread mixes”.. makes me crazy when I see that. ;)

I like Bobs Red Mill products and my boss found either Duncan Heinz or Betty Crocker Gluten free cake mixes and made me a birthday cake with it last year. ♥ It was really good too. I never looked for them cuz I just dont normally eat that sort of thing anymore..
    I’d steer clear of any soy blends for breads or cakes.. YUK!

6. Carol D. says

My husband and I are eating gluten-free (I was diagnosed with celiac disease about 2 years ago), and the family has had to adapt as well. After all, if I’m cooking, I’m cooking for everyone! :) A site I love is adventuresofaglutenfreemom.com. She has a post that’s exclusively aimed at creating kid-friendly gluten-free food. She even has a how-to-make-GF-goldfish-crackers tutorial! Plus, there’s lots of information. Prayers for you and your family. It’s hard to have most everything you’ve learned about nutrition turned upside down!

7. Jenn says

We’re gluten, egg and dairy free at our house, plus we avoid soy. Here’s how I’ve modified your own Pumpkin muffin recipe:

5 T ground flax and 12 T water
    1.5 cups sugar
    3/4 cup non dairy milk
    3/4 cup oil
    1 can pureed pumpkin
    1 tsp gluten free vanilla
    3 cups gf flour blend (I use King Arthur but any rice blend will work)
    2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice blend
    1 cup mini chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand is gluten, dairy and soy free)

Mix flax, water, sugar, pumpkin, milk, oil and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Add in dry ingredients and mix well. The batter will be wetter than you’re used to. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 16-20 minutes. Makes 24-30 muffins. Save out enough to last you a couple days and freeze the rest.

One of my friends can only eat gluten free stuff. Do you have any tips for gluten free athletes? I have read some information but didn’t know if you had any tips.

9. Charity says

Just so you know, and I’ve found this out the hard way!, it takes at LEAST 6 weeks for all the gluten and dairy to get out of your system. 3 of our kids are gluten free, and one of them is also dairy free, making our whole family gluten and dairy free. :-)
    A great blog is glutenfreeonashoestring.com
    The cookbook that I regularly use is the Kid-Friendly Food Allergy Cookbook. The recipes in it can be made any allergen free that you need it to be.

I have a gluten free blog, and have a post about meal ideas.

For pasta, the best and cheapest GF pasta I have found I got at Big lots for $2.50/lb. It was Miller’s Best corn pasta from Romania (GMO free too!). Amazon.com carries Sam Miller brand of gf corn pasta that appears to be the same. I am waiting for the arrival of my order. From Amazon using the Subscribe and save, I was able to order a case for $1.80/lb. Excellent price!

My advice, buy a bag of Better Batter or Jules first, to use as a replacement in your traditional recipes.

Also, know that gluten sensitivity/Celiac is genetic.

Elizabeth Barbone’s Easy Gluten Free Baking is an excellent starter for replacing recipes. Her Chocolate cake is amazing. :)

• Mama Moose says

Celiac has a genetic component, but only about 10% of Celiacs have a first-degree relative with it…

Wow, so much information from everyone on Gluten Free. We are not and I think The Husband might die if I tried it at our house but I totally appreciated the suggestion of B-12 and magnesium. I have been thinking a lot that I need to start investing in some good vitamins that will help with energy/mood/sound sleeping.

Definitely makes me want to do some more research.

Here is our menu plan http://www.financeswithfunk.com/2012/01/29/our-menu-plan-this-week-2/

Oh, another thing, if you use oats, be sure to buy GF oats. Regular oats off the shelf have been tested and those tests have revealed high gluten levels because of contamination.

Be careful of overdoining the rice too! We eat gluten / dairy free, and rice free too. We also avoid soy when possible.

Don’t forget to pray about the diet too! ;)

Wow! You’ve received tons of great tips and resources here. Is your head spinning? Now I know why I’ve been repinning some of your recipes on pinterest (I follow you :)….that sounds kind of weird.) Anyway, I’ll chime in too. This past Wednesday, myself and 4 other bloggers started an Allergy-Free Wednesdays blog hop. There are so many incredible recipes on there, many of which are gluten-free. I feel very blessed to have so many great recipes shared and stored on my little blog.

I would caution you (knowing that you are a frugal person) to steer clear of the pre-packaged gluten-free items (mixes, etc). While they are convenient, they are also pricey!!! You may remember that you published a guest post of mine on here a while back about making my own GF flours with a coffee bean grinder. Well, many months later and more GF cooking under my belt, I’m still using my trusty coffee bean grinder.

Don’t hesitate to let me (and all of us) know if we can help out as you forge your way on this journey!
    Blessings!
    Michelle

Afewshortcuts.com has lots of gluten free recipes (she has a child who cannot do gluten either). While we’re not gluten free at our house, we have done some of her recipes and they’ve been great.

My favorite menu-meal this week is pulled pork sandwiches in my crockpot. We cook it in root beer and add our own homemade BBQ sauce at the end. It’s amazing. Here is our simple menu for this week: http://www.motheringwithcreativity.com/2012/01/weekly-meal-plan.html

15. ariella says

thank you for your menu plan! there are links to some great recipes that I have never seen. I really appreciate them. Thanks!

16. Julie says

Laura at Heavenly Homemakers has an EXCELLENT coconut flour muffin recipe. It is dairy-free and gulten-free (and absolutely delicious!)

17. Jennifer says

My mother-in-law is unable to eat gluten, so I’ve had fun trying out new dessert recipes for her. I’ve ranked them below.

1) Dessert Hummus (I recommend peeling the chickpeas for a smoother consistency.)

2) Chocolate Cake/Brownie (Time consuming, but delicious)

3) Chocolate Cookies

4) Peanut Butter Cookies (Very simple and easy to prepare)

18. Penny says

Just another mention about the oats: some people with Celiac cannot tolerate oats at all, even GF oats. I have Celiac and have been GF for 5 years, and even GF oats cause all of my symptoms to return. I know others who are the same way. To be safe, you really have to avoid all oats until your body is healed and then gradually add GF oats back to see if they can be tolerated. Just FYI. I wish I could eat them!

Yep–I read that oats have a protein that is similar to gluten, so if you’re really sensitive (like with Celiac), it could definitely affect you similarly.

• Debbie says

I was just about to say this after reading all the comments on GF oats. *any* oats, dairy, legumes can cause the same problems gluten can even if you are not sensitive to those ingredients.

Also, my doctor was very specific in telling me that the effects of gluten last 6 to 8 MONTHS, not weeks.

19. Shar says

Check out http://www.GlutenFreeSociety.org for the most comprehensive understanding on what is truly gluten free–ALL grains have gluten. There is a gross misunderstanding on this because of one study done in the 1950′s on just 10 people on rye, wheat and barley only. All the other grains weren’t studied, but everyone has based what they think about gluten on that study since then, until now. Dr. Peter Osborne is teaching health care professionals the real truth about it. It’s life-saving for many. You can order a genetic test that is fool-proof to see if your child is sensitive or intolerant to gluten from the above website. There’s so much help there, recipes too.

I’ve been following gluten free recipes off and on since mid last year. My favourite substitute for white or whole wheat flour is Almond Flour. It is wonderful and there are so many delicious recipes for almond flour.

Here are some of the recipe sites I’ve been following:

You may find this site interesting in regards to food allergies

http://www.marksdailyapple.com and this one http://www.paleoplan.com/

21. Ramona says

http://www.celiac.com has a list of safe and unsafe ingredients for a gf diet. A lot of people don’t know that anything “malt” is a no-no. I beleive there’s some good recipes on the site too. Locally, I have a gf support group so there may be one in your area. Barbara’s brand makes some good baking mixes but expense-wise, you might be better off with stuff made from scratch. Celiac disease, once diagnosed, or even gluten intolerance is nothing to mess with, they can both have detrimental effects on a person’s health in many ways.

We’re doing a gluten, wheat, soy, peanut, corn, & egg free elimination diet for my husband for a few weeks to see if it helps at all with his asthma, so I’ve been doing a LOT of experimenting myself the past week.

If you want to look at my menu plan, everything is gluten & dairy free. So far, everything has been good besides the Apple Flax muffins–but I had to do several substitutions since we’re also egg & corn free (and baking powder has corn).

Adding a probiotic might be beneficial as well. I’ve gotten a recommendation for this one as an excellent children’s probiotic: http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/probiotics_super8_en.htm

They also have one for children ages 0-5.

Hope the diet helps your child’s health concerns!

23. Terri Dawson says

Crystal, check out Glutenfreegirlandthechef.com
    It’s the best website that I’ve found for gluten free living. The recipes are incredible and blogging by Shauna is inspirational.

24. Katie says

My husband was diagnosed with cancer this summer and then had some other related infections and issues, so we went Gluten Free AND Vegan. So no gluten, no dairy, no eggs, no meat. Zoinks!! That was a stretch. WE’ve since gone off this diets for practical reasons but intend to go back to it this summer. The biggest thing I learned about GF cooking (which is actually a personal preference) is that GF baking doesn’t work! I’m sure if I had no baked goods for a year the GF stuff would taste great, but going from full fatty-floury-buttery goodness to GF just did nothing for my palate. So I aim for recipes that aren’t “made over”. That is, recipes ehich are gluten free anyway but don’t look obviously so. Like instead of trying to find gluten free pancake recipes, now I make oatmeal in all it’s variations a lot more. Or if we’re in the mood for pancakes, I make something similar – like potato pancakes or veggie fritters. Because the texture isn’t “bread-like” to begin with, using oatflour or almond flour or whatever as a binder doesn’t affect the outcome as much. Good luck on all this; I really hope your kiddo’s health issues clear up!

• Katie says

Just remembered – check out “primal” blogs for recipes. The Primal Diet doesn’t allow for grains at all so they get really creative. They also limit sugar and dairy. Some of the recipes don’t appeal to me at all and they tend to be REALLY heavy on the meat, but where they are useful (for me at least) is in the baked goods / desserts / treats area. If you search around you’ll find some neat ideas using coconut flour, almond flour, avocados and bananas.

25. GWEN says

I started the PALEO DIET in January 2 and have lost 6 lbs already, I can be more happy! I eliminated ALL grains and sugar of my life forever!

26. Denny says

Good for you! My daughter and I are both gluten sensitive and have been off the wretched stuff since last summer. Looking at your menu, you are still consuming a lot of gluten. A little gluten is all it takes to trigger flare-ups. I had to read every book I could get my hands on to educate myself. You will feel like a new person once you rid yourself of the gluten. Blessings!

27. Toni says

Our breakfasts are mainly cereal, Cocoa Wheats, and/or English muffins. Lunches are PB&J, soups, etc.
    Dinner:
    Garlic kale soup and whole grain bread
    Chicken and dumplings, fresh pineapple
    perogies, asian green beans, pumpkin pie
    ham and bean soup, whole grain bread
    Chicken cream cheese crescent puffs, broccoli
    Superbowl family party (finger foods and snacks)
    one night out

28. Ginger M. says

Hello! I am also gluten-free and dairy-free. Feel SO much better now (and so awful when I slip up and eat something with the above), no skin issues, no allergy issues, sleep better.

29. Steph says

I have four children and one of my girls is wheat-egg-dairy-almond-peanut-free. And I read labels on EVERYTHING!! I know you mostly cook from scratch, but there is a great deal at the Kroger chains this week with Vann’s gluten, egg, dairy free waffles and french toast sticks for 1.99 wyb 10. I like to keep these stocked for “emergencies”…like extended family get togethers, etc. I actually think all my kids would be better off if they ate like my sweet allergy girl ;)

I know Crockpot365 has all gluten free recipes and five Dollar Dinner’s also has gluten free recipes!
    I hope you get to the bottom of your child’s health issues, but one caution I would say, as I know several people who actually have had had worse health issues from cutting out grains than with them. I have found it is good to look to what your diet lacks sometimes rather than cutting out things, unless you have a firm conclusion for sure that there is a for sure link.

I have a son with peanut, gluten, dairy, and soy allergies which mostly shows up as severe eczema. It’s a journey. I post our favorite recipes at http://www.frugalfamilyfeasts.blogspot.com/

Favs include – Pumpkin Pancakes – http://frugalfamilyfeasts.blogspot.com/2010/07/gluten-free-pumpkin-pancakes.html

Zucchini Muffins – http://www.frugalfamilyfeasts.blogspot.com/2011/05/gluten-free-zucchini-muffins.html

Dairy-free Beef Stroganoff – http://www.frugalfamilyfeasts.blogspot.com/2011/04/dairy-free-beef-stroganoff.html

Sesame Garlic Chicken – http://www.frugalfamilyfeasts.blogspot.com/2011/01/sesame-garlic-chicken.html

Pasta – Heartland GF from Walmart or Quinoa pasta from Azure Standard

Bread/Bagels/Pizza Crust – http://www.samisbakery.com/

I hope the your little one finds some relief/help for the issues they are dealing with.

Hands Down, Jules Shepherd , of Jules Gluten Free is one of the best resources you can have for a gluten free lifestyle. She also manufactures her own brand of GF flour, a bit pricey but well worth the cost if you don’t have access to the separate ingredients to use to make your own. Also Jules shares a recipe for making her nearly normal GF flour. I used this for everything until we moved and I didn’t have regular access to the list of ingredients, now I watch her daily deals and info passed in news letters for when it is on sale and stock up. we went GF about 3 yrs ago now, and nothing compares to the texture esp. the breadsticks, crescent rolls , battered fish … she is on FB and quite accessible to answer questions, and has youtube videos. It is well worth your time to become familiar with her

33. Naomi says

Hello,

I will pray for your lil one. I have had celiac’s for many years as does my oldest daughter, who is now a very healthy and beautiful 17 year old. I won’t take a lot of your time but wanted to share my grandmother’s recipe with you. I do not give this out often as it is very special to me but my heart was touched by your story and I felt God’s calling to contact you. So this is simple and easy but wonderful for all of us who want to know “what” we are eating. God Bless

Abuelita’s Corn Chips:
    Buy a pkg, of corn tortillas
    Cut in half, then cut halfs into triangles.
    Deep fry using canola oil, corn oil or olive oil (some of my friends use a deeo fryer. Personally I use the least amount of grease possible and use a large frying pan with grease covering bottom)
    They fry fast, don’t let them get brown.
    Drain on paper towels.

(for fun my llils love Chilitos. we take these chips, place scrambles eggs over top and top with cheese. Melt in oven for a mimute and serve with salsa)

Good luck on your journey!! Naomi

I don’t know if anyone has shared this or not, but there is an iPhone app called “Is That Gluten Free?”. A couple of summers ago, my daughter was very sick, and we gave gluten-free a try. I don’t think I could have survived the grocery store without this app! There is one for restaurants that was helpful for us, too. These apps allowed me to to feed her a gluten-free diet without being an expert on every food, brand, or ingredient. Thankfully, my girlie is now fine, and gluten is not an issue for her.

We have found that black bean brownies taste especially good cold. The warmer they are, the more you taste the black bean. From the fridge with some strawberries on top, though….yum!!