Do-It-Yourself: Homemade Peanut Butter

CreativeCarisa.com shows you how to make homemade peanut butter.

Do you have a fun and frugal DIY idea to share? I’d love to hear about it! Read the submission guidelines and submit it here.

Comments

We have a BlendTec blender (so very powerful one) and it makes terrific peanut butter. We do keep it in the fridge, and I love that we can make relatively small batches of fresh, healthy peanut butter. I don’t use any sweetener and less oil and my peanut butter is TASTY!

1. Anitra says

Peanuts aren’t cheap enough to make this cost-effective for me. I buy truly natural peanut butter (ingredients: peanuts, salt) at the grocery store and stock up when I can get it for $2.50 for a 16oz. jar.

2. Melissa says

My son has peanut allergies, so he eats sunflower butter instead of peanut butter. The sunflower butter costs $5-6 per jar, so I am going to check prices for sunflower seeds and see if it would be more cost-effective for me to make my own. Thank you for the idea!!

3. Camille says

This sounds like a great idea. When I heard about the impending price increase I found a deal and stocked up on peanut butter. This will teach me to think about thinks a little before I do what I would normally do.

Food safety standards recommend that you keep in an airtight container in your fridge for up to two months. Keeping in the fridge helps the oil stay suspended longer, too.

I will admit I am a bit rebellious and keep about 3 weeks worth in a sterilized glass jar in my pantry and nobody has gotten sick from eating it. If you choose to do this, do so at your own risk. :-)

5. Margery says

I tried this at home a few years ago, mostly for fun for my kids. I couldn’t seem to get it quite as smooth as the store-bought natural peanut butter with my Cuisinart. It turned out a little gritty. Disappointingly, my kids would not eat it. I hope others have better results.

• Julie in IN says

Did you try adding extra oil or honey? It should help.

We’ve been making our own peanut butter for years and it is yummy!

Next time, I’m going to roast my peanuts in the oven first since we do not buy dry roasted peanuts.

6. Amy says

I recently had some leftover mixed nuts and honey roasted peanuts. I blended them all together without oil, and it was delicous. So good that I ate it just plain off a spoon :)

7. Elizabeth says

I love this idea. But I wonder if you will start doing your weekly cooking lists again. You always gave me great snack and dinner ideas that were healthy and freezer friendly. I miss those posts!

8. Suzanne says

I have been making our peanut butter for years to avoid the bad fats that most PBs have. However, the price of peanuts has gone up so much that I wonder if it’s still cost effective. I plan to make a batch and actually measure it so I can compare the price to the healthy store bought kind. Where have people found the cheapest price on peanuts? I used to buy them at Aldi and Costco, but now neither sells the peanuts I like to buy. Aldi’s peanuts now are only the dry roasted kind with MSG. I buy the unsalted peanuts to avoid MSG.