21 Days to a More Organized Christmas: Gather the Christmas Books

Christmas wouldn’t be complete without good Christmas stories. We checked out a huge stack of Christmas books from the library this year and, so far, here are our favorites:

The Christmas Story

The Gingerbread Boy

Gingerbread Baby

Gingerbread Friends

The Mitten

B is for Bethlehem

The Baby Born in a Stable

White Snow, Bright Snow

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey

Great Joy

What are some of your family’s favorite Christmas books read-alouds? I’d love to find new ones to add to our list of favorites!

photo by yvestown

Practical Application

::If you have younger children, gather a basket-full of Christmas read-alouds and plan a daily time to read for 10-15 minutes. Let your children choose from the basket to make it more engaging for them. For additional fun, wrap up the books and let them unwrap a few each day.

::If you don’t have young children, choose at least a few Christmas-related books to enjoy over the Christmas season–either reading through with friends or just yourself.

Comments

1. Constance says

I love the Patricia Polacco book, “Christmas Tapestry”, too. She has written another Christmas book entitled, “An Orange for Frankie”. “The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree” by Gloria Houston and illustrated by Barbara Cooney is sweet. Two books for upper elementary readers are “The Hundred Dresses” by Eleanor Estes and “A Penny for a Hundred” by Ethel Pochocki and illustrated by Mary Beth Owens. During the Christmas season my 15 year old daughter and I stop our homeschooling day at 2-3pm and have a Christmas Tea with a Christmas story read-aloud. Any book from the Joe Wheeler series, “Christmas in My Heart” are also very nice family read-alouds.

2. Debora says

I read your blog all the time…and have for years…but never respond until now. My girls and I love The Last Straw bu Fredrick Thury… http://www.amazon.com/Last-Straw-Fredrick-H-Thury/dp/0881063606/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323809579&sr=1-2 and Room for a Little One by Martin Waddell… http://www.amazon.com/Room-Little-One-Christmas-Tale/dp/141692518X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323809734&sr=1-1. We save them just for this time of year…and both make me choke up every time. Merry Christmas to you!!

I cannot believe that I am the only one who loves Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! I love Seuss anyway, but his Christmas book is my favorite. :)

I also like Twas the Night Before Christmas and The Nutcracker…and several others that have already been mentioned.

• shawn'l says

I couldn’t believe anyone didn’t put “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” either. My father read it every year on Christmas eve since I was a child and I have with my kids (it will be my 40th time reading it on Christmas eve this year). As kids we would see who could get the furtherest in the book from memory. I love how it focuses on how we can be happy and enjoy Christmas without “the ribbons, the wrappings, the trimmings, the trappings…it came just the same”.

The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado is a wonderful one for preschoolers. For older (and parents), Mary’s First Christmas by Walter Wangerin is beautifully poignant and a wonderful fresh perspective of our Lord’s birth!

I had a quick question for you – sorry if you answered this somewhere else. I just noticed that there were no Santa books, and I was wondering if you do tell your kids about Santa.

I am pregnant with my first and do not want Santa in my house, but I was wondering if it was possible to do without a lot of scoffing from outsiders (not that I really care). Or if it is hard when everything seems to be Santa-orientated.

Thanks :)

6. Debbi Gray says

LOVE collecting Christmas books and keep them out in baskets around the house for savoring together by the light of the Christmas tree. Love Usborne’s “That’s Not My Reindeer” & “1001 Christmas Things to Spot”, Wm Joyce’s “Santa Calls”, C. Buehner’s “Snowmen at Night”, M. Waddell’s “Room for a Little One”, D. Wood’s “Merry Christmas Big Hungry Bear”, M. Lucado’s “One Incredible Moment”, R. Sullivan’s “Flight of the Reindeer”, “R. Evans’ “The Christmas Box”, J. Newcombe’s “A Christmas Treasury”, and Debbie Macomber’s Christmas books. Something for every age.

My 5-yr-old’s hands-down favorite is “The Night Before The Night Before Christmas” because the baby in it pees on Santa at the Department Store. And of course, he thinks that is HILARIOUS. (He reads that page about 10 times in a row before moving on to the next page.)

8. Christy McCullough says

There’s a board book that I think is called the Chrstmas Story that is fabulous. It starts “do you know why we give presents at christmas” and goes on to tell about the best present we all got. At 6 it is still a favorite (and there is a corresponding title for easter)

9. Rachel says

One of my favorites is Mary’s First Christmas by Walt Wangerin. I love the story, and the illustrations are just luminous!