This Week’s Menu Plan (and a new 15-Minute Freezer Cooking experiment)

In the middle of our chaotic and messy freezer cooking session last week!

Breakfasts

Bananas (grabbed on the way to church as we were rushing out the door; yes, aren’t we so organized?!)
Carrot Cake Waffles with Vanilla Whipped Cream (recipe coming later this week; I concocted it this past week using this recipe as inspiration and we all decided it was very yummy.)
Toasted bagels, scrambled eggs
Steel Cut Oats with dried cranberries
Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal
Granola
Cinnamon Roll Biscuits, scrambled eggs, fruit

Lunches

Hamburgers, twice-baked potatoes, fruit salad
Hard-boiled eggs, pasta, peas
PB&J, carrot sticks, apple slices
Annie’s macaroni & cheese, peas
Tossed salad hard-boiled eggs, feta cheese, and dried cranberries
Leftovers x 2

Dinners

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake, tossed salad
Southwest Roll-ups, Mexican Rice, tossed salad
Corn & Cheese Chowder in Bread Machine Bread Bowls, sliced apples
Lime Chicken Tacos, Mexican Rice, steamed veggies
Dinner out
Dinner with extended family x 2

Snacks

Chocolate Bottom Banana Squares
Fruit/veggies
Cheese/crackers

15-Minute Freezer Cooking

(I’m trying something new this week and am devoting 15 minutes on Monday through Thursday afternoons to making one item for the freezer. I’ll be blogging about these mini freezer cooking sessions so you can see how it goes for me!)
Chocolate Bottom Banana Squares — Monday
Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal — Tuesday
Lime Chicken Tacos — Wednesday
Homemade Baking Mix — Thursday

What’s on your menu this week? Share details and/or your link to your menu plan in the comments.

Comments

I want to thank you for posting your menus every week. We didn’t use to follow a menu until recently, thanks to you. Now life is so much easier! Now I don’t have everyone asking me all day what we are doing to eat!

My crew was so excited to see their favorite bacon, potato, cheese soup on the menu plan. Even the little kids ask for a second bowl. I LOVE being able to make some warm hearty dishes this time of year.

Last week I did the freezer cooking goals in short bursts by total accident. I cooked the chicken one day. I got a great deal on biscuits on clearance @ Raley’s (which I normally wouldn’t buy but for $.24 each I couldn’t make them for that), I cooked rice another day and compiled 3 different casseroles all on one night a different night. It worked out perfect and I still got everything off my list I wanted to do.

Here is our menu plan for this week.

I just wrote an impromptu menu on the fridge this morning. My issue is that I don’t know how to make a lot of different foods. So I really like that you post to links of recipes. :) Were you the one who posted the White Chicken Enchilladas. They are amazing.

4. Heather says

Can’t wait to hear about how the 15 minute a day sessions go. I have just always tried to cook some extra (if I am baking a loaf of pumpkin bread – I will make two and freeze one or if I am making a roast – I will buy a really big one and shred the extra meat and freeze) 15 minutes sounds interesting and short enough to not seem overwhelming!

5. Jessica says

um is silas standing IN the dishwasher? haha :) My guy tries that anytime he sees an opportunity!

My little guy tries that too. I was going to laugh and tell Crystal that freezer cooking won’t be as frugal if the door breaks on her dishwasher! LOL Just teasing though…no snottiness intended! :)

I love that you shared your kitchen during freezer cooking! I’m so glad to see moms sharing pictures of messy kitchens and happy children. Also, the green rice casserole is fab. Thank you!

Our plan is here: http://www.womworkingmom.com/2011/11/wom-meals-our-menu-for-117-through-1120.html

I’m trying a new method for menu planning in the coming weeks. I’m working up to planning menus a month at a time. A little daunting, but exciting. Finally, best of luck with the 15 minute freezer cooking. I’m interested in seeing the results.

7. Emily says

Crystal-I’ve made your Cheesy Chicken casserole before. Do you think it’s freezable? My concern is the sourcream/greek yogurt getting lumpy or curdled.

8. SandyH says

Emily I can’t speak for he casserole you mentioned, but I freeze sour cream enchiladas, lasagna, and many other dishes with cream based products and cheeses. They come out perfectly.

9. chelsea says

So glad I’m not the only one who frequently finds a child standing on the open dishwasher door! :)

10. Diane says

I’m going to try the corn chowder in bread bowls (but non bread machine recipe since we don’t have one).

We’re having cheesy beans and rice, runzas from the freezer, Philly cheesesteak with potato wedges, sweet/spicy orange beef from freezer and pizza from the freezer this week.

I couldn’t find anything at the stores on deep sales this past week. So I decided to make trays of Lasagna with the ground beef and cheese I already had at home. Used the Pasta coupon and made 4 large trays today, these are very very large trays. I shared one with a coworker and she shared fish with me!I put two in the freezer and we are serving 18 people tonight with two(I feel certain there will be leftovers)
    I’m doing Loaded baking potatoes again and now the fish that we got from the friends. I had pork chops and chicken in the freezer so that with all the free fruit we have had lately will just about round out our week.
    Blue Berry Pancakes for breakfast , homemade applesauce at for lunches, with hard boiled eggs (got tons of those too), Pumpkin just about everything and still zucchini everything, but we love these so we never grow tired of them. We can always eat leftover Lasagna for lunches, or I know one of my friends will want to swap more fruit tonight for some of the leftover lasagna. (I am hoping oranges as we have almost everything else) How is everyone else doing stock and menu wise?

12. Erica says

I threw half of a jumbo pack of chicken breasts in the crockpot (cut in strips/pieces) with chicken fajita mix…..they are cooking as we speak :)

then I took the other half…and cut them in half and threw them in a pot and boiled them…then after about 30 minutes…I let them cool in the water…and shreded with two forks. I have more than enough to freeze for a meal (probably bbq chicken-another crockpot meal!).

I am watching to learn even more tips for freezing meals and making things ahead. I really don’t like to cook and am not very good at it either..so your tips and recipes really help me.
    Thanks!!!

13. Lana says

I am planning on making main dishes for the freezer for Christmas week when all the kids and grandkids are home. It made a huge difference for me last year and I got to spend alot more time with the family instead of cooking. I think I will include the Lime Chicken Tacos on my list. Thanks for the link!

Those chocolate bottom banana squares look so good! I might try to give them a shot this week. I’m finally back to posting menus after my daughter’s hip dysplasia surgery last week. I’m lucky my mom is here executing my menu – so I just have to plan! ;-) Here’s what she’s cooking for me… I’m trying to keep it easy but still end up with a few planned leftovers in the freezer.

• Meagan says

Michelle,

I made the chocolate bottom banana squares last night (but as muffins) to give my hubby for breakfasts. They were FANTASTIC!!!

I can’t be the only one who finds it hilarious that this is Crystal’s version of “messy and chaotic”. And I don’t even have kids!

Also, re: the dishwasher door. One thing my mom did with my brothers and me, and what I’ve since done in my 3 years as a nanny, is use the open dishwasher door as a table for toddler lunches. It’s sterilized clean by the wash cycle, and then all the mess goes right back in the dishwasher and cleans itself. Hey, I turned out fine :)

• Daina says

Your dishwasher must work better than mine! (Actually, I’m sure it does — we finally gave up on it when the dishes started coming out dirtier than they went in.)

I am making CHICKEN ALFREDO BISCUIT BAKE this week! Super easy, super tasty! See that recipe and over 200 more, on my website, under What’s Cookin’ Recipes. All recipes are kid-tested and family approved!

17. sarah says

That Lime Chicken Taco recipe looks yum… have you frozen it before? I am in a freezer club and this looks like a good idea if it freezes well.

I feel like I am in a rut. I am exhausted at the end of the day from work, and my husband and I are opposite shifts. I am sick of fighting my almost 4 year old to eat. (though breakfast for dinner he ate in a heart beat!!) I am needing some quick easy meals. My husband told me to do some freezer cooking for the weekday to make my life easier, so I may have to try the 15 min freezer cooking…. well I will let you try it out first. :)

Here is my menu for the week!

19. Heather says

For the cookie dough baked oatmeal – are you cooking small cups as the recipe suggests or are you increasing the recipe and baking it in a pan?? The baked oatmeal recipes you have been sharing are a big hit in our house and I would love to try this one but I don’t own the small cups and don’t want to go out and purchase them if I can use what I already have on hand.

Here is a link to a menu I put together for the produce we get delivered weekly

I rarely do a big freezer cooking session, but I do tend to cook really large amounts of a dish and then I usually have at least two portions to put in the freezer. This weekend, the kids were at grandma’s though. I had a list a mile longer than the time I had for it, so I didn’t get to all the freezer meals I wanted….but I did make a big batch of chicken noodle soup for the freezer – recipe with pictures posted here:

21. Becky says

All this time you mention southwest rollups, I thought you were referring to tex mex egg rolls. I click on the link even though I had a bad experience trying to make those before (those wraps are really hard to work with) and find a burrito recipe. I can definitely handle that!

22. Katie says

I didn’t think I was a freezer-cooker, until I thought about your 15 minute plan. I usually make 2 meals at a time, or cook up a lot of meat for use in the future. That totally counts! I think of it as “free dinner,” both because whatever I make ahead doesn’t have to factor into our grocery budget and because if I have a meal that I can pull out of the freezer and heat, I can use dinner prep time (4:30-5:30 around here, also known as Crazy Time) to play with my kids instead of shooing them out of the kitchen.

Yesterday I made two meal’s worth of Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas instead of one. Today I browned 3 lbs of beef and layered up a second lasagna for the freezer. It was a “shoo the kids out” kind of evening, but it was just ONE and it will serve our dinner for THREE additional nights.