Super Savings Saturday: Aldi and Azure Standard

My friend, Angie, and I went in together on another Azure Standard order for our local pick-up point. Here’s what I got:

Azure Standard Order

25 lbs. rolled organic oats — $18.90
3 3-lb bags of Organic Fuji Apples — $2.50 per bag
3 3-lb bags of Organic Pears — $2.90 per bag

Total with tax: $38.08

So far, we’ve been loving the stuff from Azure and it’s been great to be able to add a bit more organic items into our budget without spending any more than we usually do on these items!

Aldi Shopping Trip

Bananas — $1.31
2 dozen eggs — $1.49 each
Half gallon Chocolate milk — $2.02
Peanut butter — $3.49
1 gallon milk — $2.94

Total: $41.98

Would you like to know what the best deals and coupon match-ups are for your local stores? Be sure to check out the Store Deals section of our site where we post the best deals and coupon match-ups each week for over 100 different stores across the country. You can sign up to receive the top deals in your email inbox each week as soon as they are posted!

Find

Did you snag any great deals or bargains this week or save money in other ways? If so, be sure to post about them on your blog and leave your link below. Please remember that this weekly round-up is to share deals you personally got and/or money you were able to save this week. In order to keep this weekly round-up focused on helping and inspiring others in their efforts to save money, links which have little-to-no content other than promoting affiliate links, etc. will be deleted. Also, to make it easy for everyone to navigate quickly through the links, your link must link directly to your Super Savings Saturday post.

Comments

1. Noah says

I’ve found the huge 5lb bags of frozen veggies from Azure to be good quality, and almost always beats the price I’d pay for organic frozen veggies at the store! I LOVE Azure!

• Noah says

So far we’ve tried the broccoli (mostly floret pieces, not tons of stems like a lot of other brands), peas, green beans, and mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, peas, and green beans).

They do some in a thinner plastic bag, so when I get them I split it up into gallon freezer bags which is just more convenient than one huge bag.

2. Meredith says

Is that a super sized version of peanut butter? I got the regular sized one for 1.69 the other day.

I got that one last time I went, too. But I did notice it said “seasonal item” on the tag so i bet it will not be there after the holidays. My hubby has always been such a peanut butter snob, but he likes their’s just fine =D.

3. JennieC. says

Our Wal-Mart marked their 1/2 peck bags of apples down to 50 cents a lb., and then on Friday down to 35 cents a lb. I’ve gone twice now to get apples to make sauce for the freezer. A great price!!

4. Carmen Bowen says

Could someone please help me out with a question: What type of container would I need to store bulk oats, flour, sugar, etc.? I would love to buy these items in larger packages to save money, but don’t want it to go rancid before I can use it all! TIA for any insight! :)

I don’t think you are supposed to freeze sugar because it gets lumpy. Anyone know for sure?

I just threw away about 25 pounds of oats because we don’t eat grains anymore. I thought about donating them, but the bag was already open. Our food pantry doesn’t accept those items.

We store our bulk oats in large 5-gallon pails…you can pick them up cheap at Menards. Some say you need a special seal called a gamma seal to seal them well…but we’ve had no problems in the last few years whatsoever. The seal does make for easier opening…but it’s really not a big deal.

As for ground flour, we store it in large baggies in the fridge. For non-ground spelt or wheat berries…we put those in the pails as well. They have found berries of grain in King Tut’s tomb, supposedly. If not exposed to water, they won’t rot or get rancid.

Hope this helps a bit.

It’s worth the savings to buy in bulk when you can…even though there is a bit of work, putting them into correct storage.

Blessings,

Joy~

• Stephanie says

We buy food grade gallon buckets with Gamma lids from Azure. You can buy both of these on Amazon, but azure was hands down the cheapest. We’ve bought wheat berries, raw sugar, brown rice and oats this way. We have shelves in our garage that keep these and smaller containers for inside that we refill from the garage.

• Andrea says

I put bulk oatmeal in the freezer with no problems. I had it in gallon-size ziploc bags (double bagged).

Are you splitting those apples and pears with your friend, or is that your portion? I would be so afraid they’d go bad before we used them all. they also look really huge! I’ve been getting the cheap apples at Aldi. They are pretty small in size so they are great for my 5 yo’s lunch box! I also have a 2 yo, so I feel like there is soooo much waste when I get the large sized apples. Between Aldi and the local hispanic stores around here, I can stay stocked up on the cheaper smaller sized fruit for very little. The big beautiful shiny ones at the big grocery stores are just too much I think.

We used to get a 20 pound box and they would stay fresh for at least a month in the fridge.

I always cut the apples into pieces because my kids tend to throw away 1/2 of the apple if I don’t. For some reason they eat more of the apple when they are in chunks.

That’s our portion. We can easily go through 5 lbs of apples in less than a week, so I’m not too worried about getting through them all before they start getting mushy. I figure I’ll make applesauce or apple pie if we need to go through them more quickly.

• Beth says

I know what you mean. My 3 kids eat apples like they’re candy or something. I’m not complaining!! ;)

Our apples never seem to go bad, no matter how many I buy. I serve them everyday for lunch, the kids (11 months & 28 months) munch on them for snacks, my husband makes smoothies with them, I bake with them, etc, etc… I like that apples are generally cheaper than other fruit and spoil slower. And this time of year there are a lot of seasonal dishes using them too! :)

6. Kathy in Greendale says

Diary products are expensive at your Aldi. Where are you located? Chocolate milk is $1.79 by me, and cream cheese is 89 cents.

Love that price on oats!

We used to have access to a great food coop, but since we moved the only coop I have been able to find has prices that are higher than the stores in our area. I have started ordering from Amazon when I find a good deal and using my Swag Bucks Amazon Gift Cards to make the total even lower.

8. Sami says

I get so confused about knowing where/when my pickup will be! I live in southern CA, and I know there are many, but I have a hard time reading the schedule. Do I need to call them to figure it out? I feel rather unintelligent whenever I look at the map! :)

9. jessica says

I am just mostly curious…but i am also surprised that you pay the same for a 1/2 gal of choc milk as you do for a whole gallon of white. Is there a reason that you don’t buy a bottle of choc syrup and just add to the white milk? It just seems so uncharacteristic of you :) Don’t you love how I’m putting your grocery shopping under a microscope? I appreciate you so much…just curious!
    Blessings!

I figured someone would comment on that. :)

Yes, there is a reason: my husband asked for chocolate milk. :) He’s on a new weight-training regimen and had to up his calorie intake, so he sent me a list of a few things to buy for him and chocolate milk was on the list. He doesn’t really care for chocolate milk made with milk and chocolate syrup, so I’m happy to oblige and buy him what he needs for his diet–especially since he ate beans and rice so long in the early years of our marriage. :)

Update: I just realized I had the price typed wrong. It was $2.02 instead of $2.94. I didn’t have a chance to stop at Dillon’s this past week, but I’m going to check the price there this week to see what a whole gallon runs. I’m guessing it’s not much more than $3 or so and would be a better deal.

• Cris says

I’ve been drinking chocolate milk my whole life but in my country we can’t get it already mixed, except for ones just like juice boxes here. And that was a special “treat” for kids! So when I moved here I still kept making my own, but instead of syrup I use nesquick powder. I think it tastes better than pre-made, but I know if you are in a hurry it might not work. So funny how simple cultural differences keep you doing the same thing forever! Not to say I won’t get any silk almond dark chocolate milk if I can find it (rare) for a very cheap price…

• Angie D says

Chocolate milk at Dillons is $4.58! Gasp! My husband LOVES chocolate milk. With their current sale that includes $2.50 boxes of Nature Valley/Fiber One granola bars stacked with coupons, you can get 4 boxes of granola bars and 1 free gallon of milk (including chocolate–which I discovered with glee!) for $8 (or less if you have a better assortment of coupons). I would rather make my own, but no one is liking them and I end up eating them all. =S I love it when sales and hubby’s wishlist coincide!

• Angie D says

Sorry to say this again if my post was deleted. =) Chocolate milk is $4.85 at Dillons. I only know this because it is free when you buy 4 granola bars (or cereals) and with coupons, you can get all of that around $8 or less. I have a certain chocolate milk lover at my house, so made someone very happy when I brought it home this weekend.

10. Melissa says

am shocked you paid that for peanut butter ouch! I know it looks like a bigger one but a few months ago I stocked up for <.50 a jar when it was on sale/coupons so I'm spoiled.:)

• Ann B says

Melissa,
      Peanut Butter prices have gone up considerably ( at least around here), so you are lucky that you stocked up when you did. Supposedly, the peanut crops didn’t do so well and therefore PB prices have been going up and deals are harder to come by.

I’ve not found a good sale on peanut butter for quite some time, so I’ve been paying $1.79/jar at Aldi. This was a 48-ounce jar, so that was a comparable price.

• Danielle says

Just thought I’d share that here in CA our p.b. prices are going up bc of the same reason listed above. I have been stocking up at CVS and on Amazon…just in case you are in the market for pb!:) I haven’t found the natural Skippy we like for less than $1.66 though, but that’s better than the grocery store prices.

Thanks for sharing Azure with others!!! I always love to see what others are getting. Azure actually has Fuji apples for sale right now… only 75 cents a lb! These are apples that in the organic certification program and called, “Transitional” Transitional is an actual certificate you must hold for three years showing you’re doing organic practices before they will give you the official organic cert. The Azure farms that are “transitional” are in the second year of that process. We’d love to have anyone that’s interested join us on our Facebook page. I try to share the current produce stock and items our family found on sale and loved!
    Mrs. Joseph Wood (Jeanette)
    My daughters and I run the facebook and blog page for Azure. My husband and my son (along with his wife) are the drivers for all the Midwest routes.

• Amber says

Those are my and my family’s favorite kind of apples!! I’m so excited that we will be getting Azure delivery where I live in the new year! :)

I can’t wait to stock up on more apples. I am wanting to can applesauce next. I have 2 different jams done plus my nana got me salsa, relish and tomatoes – canned. Yummy!

13. Angie says

I see that you bought tilapia. I have bought it several times, and can’t find a recipe that my family likes using tilapia. Can you share sometime if you have a good, family-frinedly recipe?
    Thanks so much!