15-Minute Freezer Cooking: Chocolate Bottom Banana Bars

So, I told you I was going to try out a new method of freezer cooking–just devoting 15 minutes each afternoon or evening to making one thing ahead to store in the freezer. It was a good idea and I think it will probably work well.

There was just one problem: I really should have doubled or tripled the Chocolate Bottom Banana Bar recipe. Because, you see, after I made them yesterday afternoon, everyone had to try one for dinner. Then, the typical 3 p.m. chocolate cravings hit this afternoon (please tell me I’m not the only one who has these!?), so out came the pan of Chocolate Bottom Banana Bars again.

And well, there are no Chocolate Bottom Banana Bars left to put in the freezer. Ahem.

But seriously, while I may have had a little more than my fair share of these, I promise I didn’t eat the whole pan. Just maybe, um, oh a fourth of it. ;)

I’m going to try really, really hard for tonight’s baking project–the Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal–to actually make it in the freezer. Well, at least part of it!

By the way, I tried a new setting on my camera today and was so excited with how this photo turned out. It was probably a fluke thing that I’ll never be able to repeat, but it made me happy nonetheless that I actually took a photo that looked halfway decent. :)

Comments

1. Angie says

YEAH! First comment! Don’t know why but this makes me feel special…. I love the photo, very professional looking, and I just had to tell you, that NO you are not alone, I get those cravings around that time EVERY day! So, there are at least TWO of us, come on ladies, admit it, help Crystal and I feel better! I am SO going to have to try those vars…they look yummy!

2. Deb says

Saw these on your list to make…made them today…these are amazing and they don’t last long! Great new twist on banana cakes/bread!

3. BethB says

I have those chocolate cravings too but mine hit closer to 2:00 p.m. Don’t your kids go down for nap around 3:00? That could be it. :)

I’m also going to choose to believe that portions of these bars (and other yummy baked goods you post about) are much smaller than what I would consume. Otherwise you wouldn’t be so skinny. If you are eating the same amount I would I hate you. :) (Just kidding!)

Ugh, food photography is soooo hard! I only get a decent picture occasionally and it drives me crazy. I want to learn more by watching some youtube video…when I get the time :)

Oh, I want all of these treats you are making!

5. Diane says

I’d have to at least quadruple that recipe to hope for any to make it to the freezer.
    I made a double batch of the cinnamon bread you posted a week or two ago and it lasted all of one evening. 2 adults and one child. Good thing we’re all really active! :-)

6. Amber says

I baked these tonight after I saw it on your menu planner yesterday, and WOW! I am a “new baker” and I am just so in love with this recipe! I have tried so many of your recipes lately and this one is our favorite by far!!! :)

7. Sarah says

Yum! This morning I made a baked oatmeal and it was so good! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out for you because I’m definitely interested in making some for the freezer!

8. Janelle says

Hmmm…for some reason I can’t access the recipe. When I click on the link it takes me to some weird page. Anyone else having this problem?

9. ashley turner says

TOTALLY NOT THE ONLY ONE!! its insane how its me. I even end up sneaking a few chocolate chips if i get nothing else.

10. rachel says

When I click on the link to get to the recipe this is what I get…

Unable to connect to database server

Anyone else having this problem?

11. Monica @ OurPerfectSeven says

These are in my oven right now! They smell amazing. It is late enough that I am hoping they can last to make it into lunchboxes tomorrow! Thank you for inspiring me to do a little each day to get ahead (or at least to not get further behind!)

12. Kathleen says

OMG These look so good Crystal! I too have a love for chocolate or anything sweet in the afternoon. I think my problem is that I start feeling tired around that time so I crave sweets.

13. Wendy says

Don’t feel bad. Desserts never last long in my house. With 15 & 13 yr old boys most everything gets eaten before it hits the freezer here.

14. Scubaswan says

CHOCOLATE! I crave chocolate sometimes all day long. Sometimes it doesn’t appeal to me at all.

15. Judy says

So Crystal, These look amazing and your photo does look awesome, but the recipe link makes no mention of freezing instructions. I am a bit new to freezing things like desserts. Do you bake then freeze? Partially bake then freeze?? Just put batter in pan and freeze until ready to use??? Judt wondering????

16. Judy says

So Crystal, These look amazing and your photo does look awesome, but the recipe link makes no mention of freezing instructions. I am a bit new to freezing things like desserts. Do you bake then freeze? Partially bake then freeze?? Just put batter in pan and freeze until ready to use??? Just wondering????

• Katy says

My kids even loved it and they usually don’t like banana bread. The 5 of us ate half a pan in 15 minutes!

17. su says

This is great and you can do anything and everything you desire. Remember what Joyce Meyer says….your feelings don’t get a vote. It doesn’t matter how we feel, we just need to do it(whatever that is). I tell myself that all day long.
    As for the chocolate cravings, well, mine usually start around 6:15am and don’t stop!!
    Thank you for the continued sharing and motivation that we are not alone in this world.

I was thinking of Joyce Meyer too when she says “get yourself off your mind”. Too often I tend to follow my own “feelings” and let them determine how I spend my time instead of staying on target with my goals for the day. I can fall into the trap of “I deserve…” and in the end I wind up overwhelmed because I gave into this momentary feeling. So excited to follow this series. Thanks Crystal!

18. Ellen says

I made the cookie dough baked oatmeal yesterday morning, and it so delicious! We used peanut butter instead of oil… so yummy! I love Katie’s blog. Thanks for introducing me to it!

19. Tracie says

With regard to freezing, when do you freeze? After baking the banana bars and after baking the cookie dough baked oatmeal? If so, do you take them out of the pan before freezing? Sorry for the crazy questions but this sounds like something I’d like to do.

20. Kristi says

I am 32 weeks pregnant with #3 so I pretty much have chocolate cravings all the time…I wish I could reach through the computer screen and taste one of these bars right now. And I don’t even like bananas!

21. Becky Mason says

I made these for breakfast and my daughter said this recipe was a keeper! My husband said..Brownies for Breakfast? We only have four left…lol! Thanks for posting!

22. Pat Manley says

Love your webpage ……… BUT I resent one of th webpage you directed me to for a recipe. I tried to create an account for “Tammy’s Recipes.
    They ask you to read a language of some sort and if you can’t interpert it you are not allowed to register. I am a God fearing women, retired with many interests. I do not curse, or act out. You may know all the religious languages or whatever, but I was raised Pentecostal and know nothing about this language (or whatever it was). You should screen your links better, so more people like myself do not feel like we are not good enough to be accepted.

I just checked it out and it said What is the fifth word in the phrase “saj ewed osikes anoz ijog”?: *

I believe the answer would be: ijog

Just copy and paste that in.

I don’t think it was any language at all, just a thing to prevent spam (robots that leave comments) from coming through. My set is automatically set up to catch spam and delete it, but not all sites have that capability, so they’ll have a special code you have to type in to prevent spam.

I hope that helps–and thank you for commenting so I could clear that up!

23. Julie in IN says

Bananalishious! We made them with freshly ground whole wheat flour and they were still super moist although the banana flavor overtook the chocolate layer because I added a smidgen of extra banana.

Many photographers find great success in taking their food pics outside on a table; maybe you could try that?

With a family of 9 to feed, not many baked goods make it to the freezer other than bread when we make a big batch. I’m sure some of you find the same to be true.

24. Julie says

You’re DEFINITELY not the only one to have a 3 p.m. chocolate craving, and I’m glad I’m not the only one either!

25. Christel says

Chocolate, chocolate all the day long!! LOL I think it helps keep me well rounded if you know what I mean.. HAHA