Reader Poll: What temperature do you keep your house at in winter?

Brooke emailed in:

I know that keeping the thermostat low in the winter and high in the summer can be a real money saver. My question what temperatures do people keep their homes at that balance saving money and comfort? -Brooke

We all have different families and circumstances, so what works for one family won’t necessarily work for others. However, just for fun, I’d love to hear what temperature you keep your house at in winter?

photo credit

Comments

1. Stefani says

We live in the mountains of Colorado (about 8,500 ft elevation). We don’t have a/c, so we just open the windows during the summer/fall. In the winter I have the programmable thermostat ($25 at Home Depot) set at 62-66 degrees in the winter. It may be a bit chilly, but we have plenty of blankets!

• Stefani says

Oh, and our electric bill was literally cut in half when we installed the programmable thermostat and set it so low. The previous owners had it set at 74…yuck! We now average $85/mo.

I live in St. Louis, Missouri. It can get to -10 degrees in the winter or 112 degrees in the summer.
    We keep the heat at 65 degrees at night and 67 degrees during the day. Before kids, I had it at 65 degrees all day.
    During the summer, I keep it at 74 degrees. Before the hubby comes home from work, the programmable thermostat was programmed to go to 72 degrees.

3. Becky says

We keep our house around a constant 68 to 70 year round in Massachusetts. I am really surprised to see how many people use space heaters in their kids rooms. I always thought they were very dangerous to use. Any specific brands you all are using that are reliable and you trust? Our small bathroom in our old house we are renovating does not have any heat source directly in it so I would love to find a space heater to put in there to get us through the winter. Thanks!

• Pamela says

I realize after reading this that most everyone keeps theirs in the 60s during the winter, but I just can’t take it that chilly! Our house has gas heat and we are on a concrete slab so our bills are super affordable in the winter. Summer….whole ‘nother story.

4. Susan says

We live in central NJ… summertime the thermostat is set anywhere between 75 and 78 degrees; wintertime, it’s in the mid 60′s… if it were up to me, it would be at 60 degrees, as I hate the heat and would rather put on some fleecy socks and pj’s to keep warm…

5. Phyllis R. says

I guess our weather is pretty moderate in the NW compared to some of you folks. And that’s good, cause I’m a wimp! Don’t like to be too hot or too cold. Winter temps are 69 night, 72 day. Summer – 72 night, 75 day.

Fall = 61-63*F
    Winter = 65-67*F
    Spring = 58-60*F
    Summer = 77*F

I’m so cheap! Also I love not having to pay more than $150 COMBINED gas & electric, no matter what season it is. God bless blankets & fans!

7. Sandy S. says

I live in Southern Ohio. Summer is at 80 when the heat index is normal, when it’s high I set it at 75. For winter last year, I kept it on 75/76 and only moved it up to 78 when the chill factor was below zero. This year I plan to keep it at 74/75 and wear thicker clothes and drink more hot chocolate. Gas prices have sky rocketed. HEAP helps but not much with so many people out of work.

When we moved to South Florida, I thought I would die inside our house in the summer. We live in a 101 year old house with no insulation…..seriously, none. We got new windows our first year here which helped, but I remember telling my husband, “I can’t live like this.”

Three years later and our families make fun of us when they come to visit and beg us to pumped up the air. During the hot summer days we keep our upstairs thermostat at 77 and downstairs 76.

In winter, we keep upstairs heat on 67 and downstairs 68.

After a couple of $290 electric bills for a 1670 sq. ft. house you learn that sweating is worth it.

9. Lori says

This has been fun to read through! We fall in line with the cheap side of things. We burn corn with a stove that my husband and a friend of ours built. We have roughly 1600 sq. ft. to heat (we don’t heat our basement…just a play area / workout [treadmill] and storage) and we keep ours at about 65 in the winter (Northern Indiana…some days temps below zero) and in the summer the central air is set at 80. Yes, we do sit around with blankets while watching TV, but if you are up and moving around, it is usually pretty comfortable. In the summer, if the upstairs gets too hot, we just head to the basement since it stays around 60 year round. We run our ceiling fans and keep the windows open as long as possible before turning on the air since it is not too many days that hit higher than 80 anyway!

Wow! We must definitely be in the minority here because reading through everybody’s responses I’m a little shocked!!! We keep our air conditioning at about 74 in the summer and use ceiling or floor fans if it’s really hot (we live in the Ohio River Valley so the humidity can be deadly and 80 degree days can easily feel like 100!) In the winter we keep it set at about 72 during the day and have it programmed to kick down to 65 at night. I’d rather keep it cooler in the winter when we can pile on blankets and sweaters than sweat through the summer days just to save a few dollars. In the spring and fall when temps are milder we don’t use either and open windows and use ceiling fans when needed. That saves us a lot during those months. We also went to levelized billing so that we could better budget our electric bill. It can fluctuate as much as $40/$50 a month, but that’s better than having a $150 bill in the spring and following it with a $450 bill in the winter!

11. Brenda L says

We keep our heat at 65 during the day and 55 at night (It never kicks on at night and we set it to start heating up 1 hour before we need to be up and showered). We love to sleep in cooler temperatures under a thick blanket.
    In the summer we keep the AC to 78 in the day and 74 at night.

12. Sue says

In Minnesota, we keep it 68-70 when home and 65 at night. Like to sleep cool. During summer we keep air at 77-78. We do have a wood burning stove to help heat up the room we spend most of our time in during the winter.

13. Jessica says

We live in Southwest Ohio and in the winter we keep the therm. b/w 68(that keeps Hub happy) and 72 (that keeps me happy). We are constantly at war over the therm. He turns it down, I turn it up…on and on and on…Not a great way to keep your heating bill down by the way.

We live in SE Alaska and buy heating oil. The cost is around $4 per gallon. That being said we keep the heater at 62 in the day and 60 at night. We often supplement with space heaters because electric is less expensive. I have some friends that keep their home cooler and when I visit I come prepared with wool socks and sweaters ( :

15. Flybabymom says

We usually keep it about 69 – 70 during the day, about 63 at night. I’d like to keep it cooler at night, but that’s what my husband likes!

16. Heather says

We live in Northern Nevada (high desert with usually low humity). We have the heat at 68 (while we are up and at home) and it automatically goes to 60 at night. We have quilts for everyone to sit under in the living room.

17. rachel stotmeister says

In the winter, we keep it set on 64 degrees during the day. At night, we turn it down to 60 degrees. We dress for the weather and wear at least 2 layers on top a sweater and a long sleeve shirt. We stay comfortable. We also have an Eden Pure heater my dad in law purchased for us that runs all day and night. It works like a dream! We have gotten used to a “cooler” home. In fact, when we visit others we typically roast because we are used to our cooler! We live in the Chicagoland area.

We have gas heat and keep the house at 67 during the day and 63 at night. Our upstairs has individual base board electric heaters in each bedroom so they are at 65 at night and 55 during the day. We use the air in the summer when the house gets to 80 and cool it to 75 or so and then at night the ac is shut off except in the bedrooms.

19. cherry says

68-70 during the day and 50 at night in the winter with heating blankets on all of our beds. I love the programmable thermostat so I can set it to bring the temperature back up before we wake up in the morning. Makes it so much easier to get out of bed on those cold days!

20. Jennifer says

During the day, we keep the temp around 74 in the summer, around 70 in the winter. At night, it’s 65 year-round. None of us can sleep if it’s warmer than that, but guests at our house tend to “freeze” so we keep piles of blankets in the guest room for them to snuggle under and a electric heater for them to use if they can’t stand it.

21. Natalie says

No A/C for summer, but in the winter we keep our thermostat at 62 daytime and 58 nighttime……. But – we juat had another baby so I convinced my husband to turn the main floor’s heat up to 65. ;) We do have a woodstove in the basement, but heating is tricky to maintain b/c our winters can get down to 40 below zero.

There’s already plenty of comments, but I’ll leave mine. In summer we’re at 81 while we’re at work, 78 when we’re home, and back to 81 after we go to bed (we use ceiling fans while we sleep and in our office, which has no duct work). In winter we’re at 65 when we’re not home, 70 when we’re home, and back down to 65 when we’re in bed. We use a space heater in our office, which gets FRIGID in the winter.

23. Jessica says

I live in deep Texas where we only have two seasons: summer and not summer. So central AC is a necessity unfortunately. In summer I set the air to 79. Winters are mild So don’t use heat much but it’s set at 65/66. I like to force my hubby and cat to snuggle me :) and I can wear my snuggie to bed!