Last week’s Azure Standard order

I didn’t get a picture of my Azure Standard order from last week posted on Saturday like I’d planned. Life happened… and the blogging plans went out the window. Oh well!

At any rate, here’s what I got

Azure Standard Order

5 lbs. of Lundberg Short-Grain Rice — $5.75

10 lbs. of organic Unbleached Flour — $11.50

4 lbs. of organic Valencia oranges — $4.50

20 lbs. of organic apples (seconds) — $10

Once again, my friend and I ordered together so that we didn’t have to worry about meeting the $50 minimum required to order for the local drop-off.

I was very pleased with the products I received, though the oranges were not that great, in my opinion. However, I did want to mention that the truck was supposed to come in at 10:30 a.m. and then, the night before, they emailed to say it wasn’t coming until 2 p.m. It didn’t end up coming in until 3 p.m.

My wonderful assistant, Erika, picked up the order for us, so it didn’t completely mess up our homeschool/daily schedule. If I had been trying to pick it up on my own and bringing all three children with me, it would have been quite frustrating to have the time changed the night before and then have to wait for the truck for an extra hour.

Last time around the truck was right on time, so I’m not sure if it being delayed is a common or a rare occurrence, but I wanted to mention it for those of you considering ordering from Azure Standard.

Also pictured is the box of Clif Zbars we got in the mail from Amazon. They were free using Amazon gift cards from Swagbucks.

Comments

I think this sounds like something I’d like to do but is this for everyone? Where do you pick it up from? I live in a small rural community so I’m wondering if it’s not an option for me?

I’m so bummed. I signed up and had a number of friends ready to go in on orders with me, only to find out that they don’t ship to my area. Their products and prices are better on some products and I would have loved to get in on it. Oh well! I’ll have to check around for similar companies. Glad to see that you were able to get some good things!

3. Amy f;) says

Our delivery time often varies…the man calls us the night before and is usually right on time with whatever time he tells us.

My family raises oranges. It’s pretty early in the season; this was probably the first pick. Give them another month. The cold weather really brings out the sugary sweetness. . .

Now you can make more apple crisps! We are going to try to make some later this week.

• Amy B says

I agree–I don’t eat oranges out of season! Here in Florida they’re best right around Thanksgiving and Christmas. I can’t wait!

• Meredith says

Exactly, I always equate oranges with christmas. I live in sc. I used to get them with nuts and candy in my stocking at Christmas. Oh how juicy they were!

• Heather says

My family is slowly turning into an apple crisp – and I have been mixing other fruits in – it’s such a yummy treat. Last week I added 2 cups of frozen blueberries (we picked 40 pounds just for freezing and I froze them all in 2 cup baggies) and the apple/blueberry combo was fab! Earlier this week, I added 1 cup of freshly harvested cranberries (want out to watch them flood the bogs and the farmer gave me two big bags full of them!) to the apple crisp – Yum again. Tonight – it was a combo of apples, pears, and cranberries – even more yum. Maybe I will do four fruits later on – adding the blueberries!

5. Tamara Dillon says

I am going to call Azure today to see if they have any drop offs in Ocala, FL! I so want to order in bulk! Making my own apple butter today -and could use more apples- the cheapest I can find is $.98 a lb!

The delivery time is varies. For months our driver has been right on time, but when winter hits snowstorms can really mess up their schedule. Sometimes they are hours late, as you experienced. Usually our drop coordinator is happy to keep our orders if the time is off until we can come and get them (hopefully later that day). But I personally think the quality and prices are worth the minor inconvenience once a month!

7. Mary says

Your food looks pretty good. I’m especially envious of those apples. :) I used to belong to a food coop here in New England where I live, but the sorting and pickup became an issue for me. I work from home (full time). My hours have some flexibility, but I can’t be gone for hours on end (which happened sometimes when deliveries were delayed, etc.). Also, our coop stopped being an actual coop and the prices went up and they became more restrictive about what you needed to order. It’s a fine idea when it works out, but it doesn’t work out for me anymore–at least not with the option I have near me.

8. Angie D says

I have been part of 3 drop-offs before this one and they were all on time, if not early…but would imagine the winter will jeapordize that. I agree about the oranges. I was warned by my friend, but wanted to see for myself, and won’t order again. =)

• Sheila says

As someone else posted Azure is GREATLY expanding their drop locations. The posted drop site link will not have the newest locations on it so call Azure or check out the Azure Facebook page as previously mentioned. http://www.facebook.com/groups/guymonbbbs/243156922399612/?ref=notif&notif_t=group_activity#!/azurestandard

I ordered the #2 Oranges (juicing oranges) (38# for $23) this time and they were (past tense ;) AMAZING!!!! Sooooo sweet and super juicy!!!

This time I also ordered the #2 apples (20# for $10) – super crisp and yummy!! and Necterines (20# for $16) and they were good – now some of them are a little to soft, so I just need to get them worked up and put in the freezer.

For fresh items you’ll need to take in consideration where you are along the drop route. They leave OR on Thursday and we get our drop on Friday, but if you’re further down the line your fruit etc. will be sitting in the truck for that much longer.

Also if you get fruit you’ll need to refrigerate it right away. Mrs. Woods posted on the FB page that this will decrease issues w/ fast spoiling and she listed reasons etc. if you want to check out the page.

We’re definately looooooving Azure Standard in my rural area. Next month we’ll be going in together to get 25# of popcorn and hopefully some more oranges and CHEAP apples!!

Oh and we had issues w/ delivery time this time too. However, we had a new/different driver and I’m sure that was the issue. He had to find the location etc. I’m sure Wichita made that even harder.

Definately worth checking out =-)

Hi. I am so jealous! I contacted Azure and they do not come out here–I’m in Virginia. I cannot get bountiful baskets either…any other ideas??

• Noah says

Contact local farms near you if you are interested in produce. Sometimes farmers sell their seconds cheaper. Or look for a CSA. You can order azure delivered via UPS for dry goods if you want. It’d be pricier, but if you could order with a group a split the shipping costs it may not be too bad, but you’d have to look into it and price it out first.

I’m so blessed to have her; she’s amazing and has freed me up to focus on my most important priorities and to have some margin in my life (and to finally be consistently getting more sleep!)

Is Erica in addition to your Mother’s Helper, or did you stop using a Mother’s Helper when you got an assistant?

I didn’t realize that you had a full time helper – that is great!

She’s in addition to my once-a-week mother’s helper. I hired a personal assistant when I started writing my book and it’s been a huge help. She mostly does office/business stuff–things my virtual assistant used to do–but it’s so nice to have someone in-house to run errands, make copies, mail stuff, and do all sorts of odds and ends!

10. Lisa says

Does anyone know of a place like Azure in South Central Ohio? I would really like to find prices like this.

11. Julie says

Looks like there’s a lot of interest in areas where Azure doesn’t deliver. Did you ever consider putting together a list of similar opportunities for other areas of the country?

12. Noah says

The delivery time for Azure can vary greatly. Our drop time is between 1-4 on Wednesdays (today actually). I’ve had it come as early as 10:30 on Wednesday and as late as 9am on Thursday! The times outside of 1-4 are rare, but they happen. Weather, traffic, time it takes for drops, etc can greatly affect the timing. I figure it’s only 1 day per month and I just try to be flexible on that day. I also have friends as well as my sister (we combine orders) that use the same drop point, so someone else can usually get my order for me if I can’t make it due to the time being off.

I too ordered the apple 2nds. I ordered 4 boxes! My kids LOVE applesauce, so I plan to sauce most of them and maybe make some applebutter. Last year we went through 12 quarts of applesauce in 3 1/2 months! I have the food mill attachment for my kitchen aid, so it’s quick to make, no peeling or coring required. And I make it without added sugar. It’s WAY cheaper than buying organic sugar free applesauce at the store!

13. Michelle says

I have been interested in ordering from Azure Standard and have emailed Mrs. Wood several times with it taking her a really long time to get back to me each time. I do think she is a busy person with handling all the info for the truck route her husband drives. I finally got sent to a coordinator for the area closest to me, but it doesn’t start until Jan and she took a really long time to get back to me on email also. I may give it a try after the winter. I can’t imagine it would be worth going and meeting a truck and having to wait a long time if it got delayed in bad weather. All of their stuff looks great, so I will just wait until the spring to try it.

14. trisha says

They have been expanding and adding to their routes….so adjustments have been going on and I think will continue to go as they experience “growing pains.” I’m just super thrilled to be able to get some of these awesome deals and some of these awesome products! I drive nearly an hour to pick my stuff up. I just bring a cooler and make it my errand day. Normally ours is right on time.

15. Jennifer C. says

Any east coast and mid-atlantic area people… A group of ladies from our church orders from Frankferd Farms http://www.frankferd.com They are in Pennyslvania and they deliver all over. We are in southwest Virginia so they do travel far. -Maryland, Pittsburg and PA, Ohio, WV etc. They sell lots and lots of products…organic, cleaning products, bulk grains, etc. Not a lot of fresh produce, but they do sell yogurt, cheese, etc. Min. order is $300 which is why we do it as a large group.