Do-It-Yourself: Braided Cinnamon Sugar Loaf

Jessica from LifeAsMom.com shows you how to make a Braided Cinnamon Sugar Loaf using my Butterhorn recipe. I’m inspired!

Do you have a fun and frugal DIY idea to share? I’d love to hear about it! Read the submission guidelines and submit it here.

Comments

hey Crystal,

I was wondering how you create your recipes. I can doctor up a pre-existing baked good recipe, but I don’t have the foggiest idea how to figure out how much of things like baking powder, baking soda, cream of tarter I would need to actually create my own recipe.

I love creating entrees from my imagination, but I don’t know how to create baked-good recipes. Any help would be great!!

2. Hema says

that’s looks yummy!!

I haven’t baked for a while now..after my electric bill went to 200 bucks from a regular 30 bucks after a small baking adventure. Now i’m scared to even think about baking, rather i prefer purchase out..did u guys ever experience this…or is it just me :)

• Mandy W. says

Living in Arizona, during the summers I don’t do much baking because not only do I have to pay to heat the oven, but then my air conditioning goes into overdrive trying to keep the house cool. This year has been even worse with the hottest August on record, and a September well above average. It makes the loaves of Sara Lee White Wheat bread from the Dollar Store and even better deal :) Not as healthy as my homemade white wheat bread, but significantly cheaper during the summers.

• Laura says

Hehe, same here! A kitchen fire destroyed our oven a few years ago and when we finally got a new one, I baked up a storm! I was so thrilled to enjoy all the things we had missed (ever gone a year without hot-out-of-the-oven cookies?!) and I thought I was helping the family save a lot of money on meals. Until the $300 heating bill came. Eek! Since I knew that the only difference from the previous months was the oven, I have been a lot more careful about how often I fire up the thing. But I love fresh baked goods! Sometimes it is worth the cost!

It’s pretty easy to make bread without a bread machine. I have made similar recipes and this is what I did:
      -Heat the milk to about 110 degrees. It should feel warm but not hot.
      -Dissolve the sugar in the milk.
      -Add yeast, and let sit for about 10 mins or until yeast is foamy.
      -Add all other ingredients and half the flour.
      -Mix until combined, then add the rest of the flour until combined.
      -Knead until smooth.
      -Add to a bowl, cover with a towel, and leave in a warm place for 1.5 hours or until doubled in size.
      -Follow the recipe after “Remove from bread machine” :)

3. Kerri says

Thanks for the video, I wanted to try and made a round challah for Yom Kippur dinner tomorrow night and needed instructions. Can’t wait to try it.