18 pounds of apples for $3.54!

I had all three children when I went out shopping today, so I almost didn’t make the extra stop at the health food store. But since I was going to be driving right by it and I’d not been there in a week, I decided to go ahead and stop and unload everyone and see if there were any markdowns or other bargains to be had.

Well, imagine my surprise and excitement when, as soon as I walked in the door, I found 3-lb. bags of apples on sale for $0.99! I had to read the sign three times before I was sure that’s what it said.

I got ready to load up my cart, but then I saw the crate where they put marked down produce. Guess what it was full of? 3-lb. bags of apples marked down to $0.59 per bag!!!!

You can just envision my happy dance, can’t you?! I restrained myself and only bought six bags as I didn’t want to take all of them and I also wanted to make sure I didn’t buy more than I can use.

Without a doubt, this is the best deal I’ve ever scored on apples. I’m having visions of apple butter, Homemade Crockpot Applesauce, Slab Apple Pie, Mini Apple Pies, and so much more!

What are your best suggestions for using up a bunch of apples? I’d love to hear!

Comments

1. Heather says

Well, it won’t use all of your apples but I have now made several batches of these sweet potato apple muffins and we can’t get enough of them .. (and they do freeze well but we seem to eat them all rather quickly)

Sweet Potato Muffins

2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
    ¾ cup sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon baking soda
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ¼ cup melted unsalted butter
    ¼ cup vegetable oil
    1 cup pureed or mashed cooked sweet potato
    2 cups chopped apples
    1 egg beaten
    ½ cup buttermilk

Heat oven to 375 Grease 12 muffin cups or add paper liners. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, and salt. In bowl, whisk butter, oil, sweet potato, egg, and buttermilk. Fold wet mixture into dry; stir until just combined Fold in apples Fill muffin cups ¾ full. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes.

I’m sure you could play around with this if you don’t like the oil or want to use turbinado

2. Vale says

Cute them up and freeze them for later baking use – that what I do! :) Got my apples free this year from a neighbor who had a bumper crop and they are delish!!

3. Jenn says

I did a similar happy dance on Monday. I asked the produce guy if he had any slightly damaged apples in back he would sell me, and walked out of the store with 35 pounds of Golden delicious apples for….wait for it…..$2.00. TOTAL. It was amazing, I almost cried!

4. scatterbrainmom says

apple bread is also DELICIOUS! Especially when served cold w/cream cheese spread on a slice!

5. Emi says

I chop up apples and add them to beef stew or chicken curry and it sweetens it up enough for the kids to like it.

I’m excited about buying 2 bushels of apples this year from a local organic farmer. He charged me .95/pound so not as great of a deal as you but much better than what I pay at the grocery store for the wax covered ones. What I am craving (and someone might have already thrown out there since I didn’t read all the comments) is caramel apple parfaits. The ones McDonalds make are to die for but the price is ridiculous!

Here’s my plan: buy a container of vanilla or plain yogurt, boil a can of evaporated milk for 3 hours to make caramel and chop up an apple. I am salivating just thinking about it!

I also plan on chopping up several other apples to throw in the freezer for when I have caramel apple parfait cravings. I hope they will thaw well. Does anyone know if they do?

7. Michelle says

We just went to the orchard and picked our own. I made crockpot apple butter and apple muffins so far. The apple muffins were done using the same recipe for zucchini bread only substituting apples instead and put in muffin tins. Really good! I still have a bunch left and I think that I am going to get the filling ready for apple pies so that when the crusts go on sale (yes, I cheat at that…using a rolling pin is so much harder than it looks) I can fill them with homemade apple pie!

8. Tracy K in Illinois says

We have a tree in the backyard and were blessed with an abundance this year. I make up as many pies as I have room in my freezer, applesauce (which is usually consumed by my husband and children before it makes it to the jars), and apple butter. I buy cute canning lids and labels and give the apple butter as gifts throughout the holiday season. Affordable and homemade with a pinch of love and laughter!

9. Ruth Shain says

Hey there! What an awesome deal!!! I was just wondering if you had a really good, easy apple butter recipe? I am always looking for these, and my kids love apple butter. I also have a neighbor that gives me a ton of apples ever fall, and I would love to put them to use. Thank you so much.

I dehydrate them in my food dehydrator. They last quite a while once you do that and I they make awesome on-the-go snacks.

11. Tamela Harris says

Ladies,
    Do apples freeze well, just cut them up or add some lemon juice or what?
    Thanks!!