This Week’s Menu Plan

Whole-Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins + the beautiful flowers my husband bought for me

We have plans on both Wednesday and Thursday afternoon of this week, so instead of doing my usual Freezer Cooking in an Hour session, I’m splitting it up over three days and just doing one 20-minute freezer cooking project each day. It might not be quite as efficient as my usual Freezer Cooking session, but I think it will work out alright. At least I’m hopeful it will!

Here’s our menu plan for this week:

Breakfasts

Popcorn Cereal, apples
Steel Cut Oatmeal in the crockpot, Pick Me Up Smoothies
Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Muffins, fried eggs
Whole-Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, fruit, scrambled eggs
Waffles, fruit, scrambled eggs
Oatmeal, fruit
French Toast, fruit

Lunches

Snack-y lunch
Salad with shredded turkey and hard-boiled eggs, apples
Cheese Ravioli, frozen peas, nectarines
Salad with hard-boiled eggs, feta cheese, dried cranberries, toasted rolls
Macaroni & Cheese, frozen veggies, fruit
Homemade Pizza Pockets
Leftovers x 2

Snacks

Granola bars
Fruit/Veggies
Whole-Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Easy Morning Glory Muffins

Dinners

Steaks, Twice Baked Potatoes, salad, fruit
Turkey and Cheese on Hoagies (my family had these leftovers from an event and shared them with us), leftover Twice Baked Potatoes, frozen veggies
Macaroni & Cheese With Beef (from the freezer), Easy Morning Glory Muffins, frozen veggies
Homemade Pizza Pockets, fruit, veggies
Dinner with extended family
Dinner out

Freezer Cooking Projects

Homemade Pizza Pockets
Easy Morning Glory Muffins
Whole-Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

What’s on your menu this week? Share details and/or your link to your menu plan in the comments.

Comments

1. Anne says

I was wondering how to expand my pizza dough for more than just pizza. I’ve gotten pretty good at making fresh pizza dough each week, but it’s so easy I would love to make more than just pizza with it. I’d love to hear any suggestions!

We are eating from the fridge/freezer this week! It’s fun to be creative. :)

As far as actual baking, I found an awesome recipe on realfoodallergyfree.com for dairy-free, gluten-free (my diet) granola bars. I brought them to a camping trip and they were quite substantial as a breakfast with some dried fruit and now I eat one before I go running for my carb boost. LOVE! The mix-ins in the recipe are craisins and chocolate chips, but I’m going to have fun experimenting with different add-ins, like sunflower kernels and nuts. Maybe even some shredded coconut.

Your menu sounds great! I need to make that crockpot oatmeal and start making smoothies again. :)

3. Chrys says

Gagging a bit at the thought of soggy popcorn, yet sounds like homemade corn pops maybe? (I think that’s the name of that cereal)

No, actually, it’s air-popped popcorn served like cold cereal. :) It’s one of the recipes in a series I did a couple years ago called “Breakfasts from my Childhood”. I think it’s perhaps an old-fashioned Midwest type of thing… I loved it as a child and it is frugal and healthy. :) My kids love it now! :)

Tammy

• Chrys says

I’ll have to check out that series! The farthest west I’ve ever been is Tennessee, lol , so definitely never heard ot it. Thanks

I can’t wait to try the Homemade Pizza Pockets. And as a bonus, I actually have a full day next week to make some new recipes for the freezer.

5. Valerie says

Just a note on the popcorn cereal for those that are intrigued… last year my son’s teacher had a Colonial Themed Christmas Party. That was one of the items served, so I believe that’s an old tradition dating back to at least Colonial America. I also noticed as I picked up a Laura Ingalls Wilder cookbook, that there is a recipe in that for it as well. I have a feeling that our ancestors found frugal ways to make snacks ;). (Check out a “Long Winter” by L. I.Wilder for a real taste of stretching a meal!) Thanks for sharing your plan and your goals weekly Crystal!

6. Danita says

Wondering how you do the steel cut oatmeal in a crock pot – we love this but it takes a lot of time to cook on the stove top.
    Thanks.

I don’t make steel cut oats anymore, but when I did I would pre-cook them the night before.

While I was cleaning up the dinner dishes, I would put a pan of water & steel cut oats on the stove (I think it was 1 c. cereal to 3 c water, but not entirely sure about that!) Set the timer for 4-5 minutes so they don’t boil over.

Let them sit overnight with the lid on. In the morning I would bring the cereal/water just to a boil (add water/milk if needed) and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.

Here is our menu plan for this week. The Crispy SW Chicken Wraps are on it…I can’t wait to try those. You guys seemed to like them, and I hope my family does, too. I did make pumpkin scones and homemade pumpkin spice lattes Sunday morning before church and they both turned out great. Have you tried the scones yet? You always have the YUMMIEST sounding salads on your lunch menu. I need to work on putting better salads together for lunch. Have a great week!

Thank you, Crystal! It’s an honor to have you feature my muffin recipe. I hope you liked them, since they are on your menu for the week.

I tried the no-bake energy balls with sunflower butter the other day and they are fantastic! Of course, my food allergy son didn’t like them…go figure. I love how easy and relatively healthy and wholesome they are.

Have a blessed week!

One more thing…I’d love to know how you like the steel cut oats in the crockpot. I tried this last Sunday for breakfast. I started them the night before on low and was so excited to have a warm breakfast before heading out to early church. It was not a hit! My husband isn’t crazy about the crockpot as it is, but I’m not that picky. I didn’t really like them either though. Ended up throwing most of the leftovers in an oatmeal pancake recipe and had to toss some out. I don’t like the waste, but they were that bad.

Just in case you don’t see my reply above:

The pizza pockets look yummy. I bet they freeze really well, too!

I will have to give the popcorn cereal a try. I bet my kids would think that is a great treat!

Whoo-hoo, the Paines are having steak this week! LOL, after years of reading your frugal menus it’s nice to see that you finally get a steak dinner once in awhile. ;-)

so it appears I commented twice on this..once last night (which I thought didn’t go through) and this am…this Mommy needs more sleep! lol

12. kj says

We really enjoy muffins here, so I have been baking a lot to stock up the freezer now that it is cooler. I made pumpkin cranberry muffins, pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and a new one-pumpkin pie apple muffins. Very, very good. It was a very healthy recipe too which was a bonus. :-)

13. Cherie says

Thank you for doing all this work for us. I just made the muffins and they look incredible.
    I appreciate everything you post every day. THANKS!!!

14. Lori says

Just thought I’d mention that you can do twice baked potatoes and freeze them. I had a whole bag of potatoes and some sour cream that needed used quickly, and it was a great way to use them up. I wrapped each individually in cellophane and then put them in a zipper freezer bag.

Our menu this week includes pumpkin waffles, but the recipe I tried isn’t working out too well. The batter turned out too runny and I could taste too much egg in it. Would appreciate any comments/ suggestions on how to make great pumpkin waffles.

In other news, out menu each week is based on sales at the Commissary – so if you are a military spouse, come check it out!

K-Mo: do you have a favorite regular waffle recipe that you do like? You could add 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree to it as well as some pumpkin pie spice (or the cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and allspice separately)

17. Christine says

I’m new to the “freezer cooking” idea. How does one take a recipe from the prep stage – freeze and then cook. 1: do you layer the item in a baking pan and freeze and then bundle together w/ instructions?, 2) do you have to increase the cooking time/temp on an item when you remove it from the freezer to cook? or do you thaw the items first.
    thanks