Recycle t-shirts into knitted dishcloths

Since I’m trying to learn how to knit dishcloths, I was excited to find a link on Pinterest for how to recycle t-shirts into knitted dishcloths.

Has anyone done this before? It looks fun and I’m guessing that the dishcloths would be really durable and effective.

Comments

• Karen says

Sounds like a good project for the weekend. I was thinking about starting a new crochet and I think I will give these a whirl. As far as knitting goes, my mother-in-law says I am hopeless…and for once I think she is right ;)

1. Laura says

how exactly did you knit this using t-shirts. I have learned with string, but do you use those long sticks..(I am so new at this, so excuse my terms).

You need to use larger needles and cut your tees very thing. Also google a tutorial on making “Tarn” (tee shirt yarn) because only certain types of shirts work and you DO have to do it correctly but it’s very cool. I made a plastic grocery store bag holder out of red tee shirt yarn:)

3. becky says

I cannot knit but I can crochet. Has anyone tried crocheting these and if so, do they turn out just as nice?

• Rae says

check out the tutorial Lizzie posted above, it shows a sample of the “tarn” being crocheted and it looks great :)

4. diania says

I don’t know how to knit but I LOVE this idea. I’m thinking I will make one out of braided t-shirt strips and hand stitch the braids together. Like a mini braided rug.

5. Laura says

Lizzie, Thanks, as soon as I left this page I must have googled, and watched so many you tube videos. My only question left is I have seen the type that uses needles, and then there is the one with one needle, and its called Crochet, and you don’t have to thin out the cut up t-shirt.. I learned that you may either Knit, or Crochet, and it looks almost the same but one is much thicker and used for Rugs, but which one did you do Crystal..

• lee says

I knit and crochet and their is a bigger difference than one being used for rugs. You could do either for this project, although I would think that knitting would be harder and you would need to make the tarn much skinnier.

6. Amy says

Laura – I was just going to mention the rug idea. We got a really cute area rug made from fabric scraps as a wedding gift, it was crocheted. I have it by my kitchen sink, it washes up beautifully, and after 11 years it’s just starting to show wear.

7. Linda says

I have started crocheting trivets from denim, as well as denim rugs. I am also working on rugs from recycled plastic bags (plarn) and bath rugs from t-shirts (tarn). Guess I’ll add dishcloths too, now!

I did this and made a rug for my bathroom. I crocheted it, though. It’s great, but when you’re cutting the tee shirt it does shed, so make sure your vacuum is handy! I love how the rug turned out! It’s sturdy and thick (I used a double strand method found below, only use tee shirts instead of plastic bags, although the bags are nice, too).