13 different clothing pieces turned into 31 different outfits

Since we were talking about a minimalist wardrobe and mixing and matching things earlier today, I just had to share this with. I found a post on Pinterest where Lucky magazine took 13 different clothing items and made 31 different outfits.

How cool and creative is that? I love it–even if orange is the last color I’d ever wear!

Comments

1. beth b says

So cool!!!!

I’m such a dork I keep meaning to make a spreadsheet or digital picture collection of different outfit combinations for my wardrobe. I love this post. :)

2. Andrea says

They use quite a few accessories to make the outfits…at least four different purses, two hats, two (ore more) scarves, plus jewelry.

yup. Usually when a company does a mix and match like this they don’t include accessories. I think it’s good to update 2 accessories each season, to stay on trend, but having a minimal wardrobe like this is awesome. I do this same thing! I only have 1 purse though. It’s the same color as my hair (chocolate brown). If you are really frugal and only have one purse, make sure it matches your hair color as best as possible…you’ll looked put together, and get shoes in that color too, a head to toe look. Mix and match your clothes in fun colors.

• Stephanie says

I had a friend mortified that I only owned one purse. My mom used to have several that matched different outfits. Too much work for me, I like my silver purse I got for $3 at JCP. But it DOESN’T match my hair color ;)

3. Honey says

I LOVE orange! Lucky Magazine is pretty fun. They have little sticker tabs you can put on the page of items you like or want to buy.

Replace #1, 11, and 12 with more of #5 and you’ll have closer to my wardrobe! A white blouse goes with everything! :) (And yes, my closet does look like a cartoon character’s in that way, and I don’t mind! ) :)

5. Heather Neely says

Redbook did this recently too…love the idea. However. I need the stay-at-home-mom version! I would wear those outfits, but need a more casual, get own on the floor and play version. Has anyone seen something like that??

6. Jill says

How fun! I’m finally weeding through my closet and getting rid of tons of clothes that dont fit me or my lifestyle anymore. (Lost abt 25-30 pounds after 2 pregnancies and not working in a job that I need professional type clothing anymore) Trying to just keep the things that I love and add a few trendy pieces & accessories each season on top of my basics. Love the mixing & matching to make it seem like you have more!

7. Sara C says

How often would one expect to do laundry with this minimalist wardrobe? One shirt is used 8 times – almost twice/wk.

• RuthS says

That’s my problem with wardrobes that are this small. I have about 2 weeks worth of clothes, so I don’t have to do laundry every day :) Plus the clothes would wear out faster.

• Meg says

I regularly wear the same shirt twice in a week. Why wouldn’t I? I don’t sweat much or do work where I get dirty.

We do laundry once a week here, since we have to go to the laundromat.

I can’t wear the same shirt twice because there is either spit-up, or tiny fingerprints, or my own lunch spilled on it somewhere.

I love the idea of minimalist, perhaps, though I need more of a “realist” wardrobe since I don’t can’t stay clean and often it’s 7-10 days before I get each load of laundry washed.

• CB says

It would be easy and inexpensive to add 1 or 2 plain white v-neck or crew neck tees to the mix to avoid using the same white blouse repeatedly.
      Ultimately, the purpose of the article is to encourage one to think about what they buy and how to wear it with other pieces to expand the wardrobe. I don’t see many people actually owning only 13 pieces of clothing! :)

8. Jenn says

The blog for CAbi (cabicanary.com) does this with each season. I love to look in the archives at past seasons and see what combos they come up with. I am absolutely fascinated with capsule wardrobes these days.

I love it! I really need to streamline my wardrobe. I recently bought a few new items and was so frustrated when I realized they don’t match as much of my closet as I thought.

I am trying to get more into accessorizing though. I admit, it’s tough for me. I feel like Mr T a bit, LOL. But I know it looks pretty good, so I’ll keep trying!

10. Michelle says

Love it. Now I don’t need anything that dressy. I’m also part of the these are my “good jeans” and my ” crummy jeans” club. With three kids I do at least a load of laundry every day anyway so the twice in a week thing wouldn’t bother me.
    Cleaning our closet is on the long list of things I “need to do” but never seem to get done.

11. Tania says

I love orange – I’m sure it would look great on you! There was a similar feature in another magazine that really goes to show you.

• CB says

You are so right! I too am inspired to go find a grey blazer- it will add loads of options to my current work wardrobe!

12. Whitney says

The stay at home mom is a great question. I like this style blog and it has Mom on the go formulas that I like a lot:

I like that they’re formulas, so you can substiture your own preferences/price/color and still have a full outfit.

Also, I’ve heard people use this formula:
    top+bottom+layer+two accessories
    This could translate into shirt, pants, coat, scarf, and bracelet. Or dress (counts as top and bottom), scarf (layer), small earrings, and watch.

13. Brandi says

I actually got this in the mail yesterday. It’s a Banana Republic ad. Everything is really cute, but some of the items are $$$. Love the orange sweater. The grey pants are $110 and the blazer is $150!!! I’m sure you could find something very similar in style at Marshalls or TJMaxx…

14. Beth says

It’s like menu planning for fashion. By focusing on a few “ingredients” you’re saving time and money on wardrobe. Love it! Thanks for sharing!

I put a post on my blog relating this, specifically for SAHMs. The pictures are in the same format as these. I could put the outfits together, but all the pieces are trendy and comfy.

This idea is very cool, but I don’t accessorize enough to make it work for me. I would rather just create different outfits by wearing totally different tops (stripes, solids, florals, in all different colors!) with jeans or skirts that fit me well.

17. Elizabeth says

I’m seeing items that weren’t in the 13 items… I don’t own belts or multiple purses or anything. For the past 5 yrs I’ve worn the same 4 shirts, 1 pair of slacks and 2 pairs of jeans during the summer and during the winter the same 5 shirts with my same summer pants. I guess that’s hard for some women to understand and I can’t really accessorize too much because I work at a chemical factory and am often out of my office around very real, very big, very dangerous, very explosive equipment so I can’t even change my shoes unless they started making ‘fashion’ steal toes LOL! It’s a cool idea but not very pratical past the whole swapping tops and bottoms which I’ve been doing for a long time now kinda got to when you don’t have much to work with — I’ll be so happy when stores get something that doesn’t look like an 80s reject or something you would expect to see your grandmother in. :)

This is a great tool to start with…the only thing I don’t like is that it assumes that you’ll wear some items every 3 days…um, I don’t prefer to wear the same pants for 3 days in a week….that’s my only beef, but I LOVE how they managed to add pops of color and prints that work together that you might not consider initially.

Such great ideas! I love all of these outfits! I definitely do not have a minimalist wardrobe…I love clothes too much, especially if they come from my Goodwill! lol But I love this idea! For those who said they are uncomfortable accessorizing or think they look silly they should check out Mama Go Round. Nina offers great inspiration for accessorizing and making one piece look completely different depending on what she pairs it with. I love watching her!

20. Amanda says

I do not want to offend anyone by saying this; it is just my personal opinion… having watched many classic movies (and yes, I do realize that this is 2011), the decline of “classy” clothing in our society makes me sad. I’m not saying that everybody needs to dress to the nines each and every day, but when I realized how frequently I wore plain old jeans and a t-shirt (which I love, by the way), I made an effort to “class” it up, a bit. And I actually “feel” better knowing that I look better… It’s so interesting to me, that ladies used to wear matching skirt/jacket outfits once upon a time, just to hang out at home. I do have children, and I do have days where we “just hang out” and play (I also work outside the home in a somewhat professional environment), but even then, I try to wear nice jeans and maybe a solid-colored, fitted t-shirt with an accessory (scarf, piece of jewelry, cool-looking boots, etc.). Basics are usually inexpensive, and you can really make them look good with the right accessories.

21. Elizabeth Sue says

Crystal, Have you or anyone else tried the “Dressing Your Truth System?” It is like color me beautiful only much more comprehensive and even goes into hair/make-up & jewelry. I used to use color me beautiful & it is very good, but Dressing your truth changed my life. You should try googling it and checking it out.

I haven’t, but it sounds fun! Thanks for the recommendation!

By the way, I’m not on FB anymore, and was just thinking of you yesterday and wishing we could catch up. But I don’t have your email address. Can you email me sometime? moneysavingmom @ gmail.com

Miss you, friend!

22. Jodie says

Just for fun, I went to bananarepublic.com and put all 13 of these items in my shopping bag. My husband and I had bets on how much it would cost, and let me just say we were both guessing way too low! The grand total, before tax, was about $1,300. Yikes! I love this concept however, so I printed the pictures of the outfits and I’m going to see if I can create something like this with what I already have. Thanks for the inspiration Crystal!