This Week’s Menu

My salad at lunch today

I mentioned on Saturday on my Facebook Page that I’ve been in a lunch rut. There were over 200 people who commented with great ideas and links. I’m inspired and looking forward to trying some of the different ideas over the next few weeks.

Breakfasts

Pick-Me-Up Smoothies, toasted bagels
Yogurt Bar (yogurt with toppings people can choose to sprinkle on)
Whole-Wheat Pancakes, cantaloupe
Whole-Grain Hot Cereal, fruit
Granola Bars, fresh carrot & apple juice
Orange Cream Smoothies, toast
Pumpkin Scones, scrambled eggs

Lunches

Taco Salad, apples
Homemade Uncrustables, carrots, peaches
Tossed Salad with chopped hard-boiled eggs & Homemade Croutons, toasted bagels
Cheese quesadillas, carrots,
Refried beans, cheese, chips, salsa, steamed peas
Leftovers
Lunch with friends (I brought bread.)

Snacks

Granola bars
Fruit/Veggies
Chips/Salsa
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

Dinners

Taco Chicken Bowls, fruit salad
Dinner with extended family x 2
Grilled Gyros (I’m substituting lamb instead of the beef), fruit
Whole-Wheat Pancakes, bacon, scramble eggs, cantaloupe
Crockpot Barbecue Chicken, Au Gratin Potatoes, frozen vegetables, fruit
Dinner out

Freezer Cooking in an Hour

Homemade Uncrustables
Homemade Croutons
Pumpkin Scones

What’s on your menu this week? Share details and/or your link to your menu plan in the comments.

Comments

1. Rachel says

What is tool is used to make the uncrustables? I saw it in the picture but do not know whatit is called. I really want one.

• Amy says

I found a square shaped one at Bed Bath and Beyond that works well and leaves a little more bread. Love the crouton idea!

• Ann says

I have one of those pampered chef tools. And all that wasted crust has bothered me too. Croutons, what a great idea. can’t believe I never thought of it. I would sometimes put the crust pieces in the freezer to make bread pudding later on. but honestly, that never happened and the bread mostly went to the trash eventually ( some fed the ducks at the park)

2. Anna J says

I thought of you when I caught the first episode of Sandwich King yesterday. He was making “Greek Tacos” with lamb – they looked really yummy!

I HAVE to try those Pumpkin Scones!!!

This week’s dinner in the Mealr house:
    Mealr’s Black Bean and Ground Beef Tostadas
    Grilled Salmon, Mealr’s Fettuccine Alfredo, Steamed Broccoli (My Birthday Dinner!)
    Mealr’s Stuffed Zucchini
    Homemade Pizza (with with fresh marinara sauce from the garden, bell peppers, mushrooms and black olives)
    Mealr’s Pulled Pork Carnitas AND Corn and Black Bean Salad
    Out to Dinner on Saturday

I do scones a lot! In fact, I pre-mix all of the dry ingredients and freeze (a trick I learned from LifeasMom) for quicker breakfasts in the morning. We love scones! My basic scone recipe is here: http://www.simplifylivelove.com/2011/01/apple-pear-scones-with-whole-grains.html

For dinners this week we’re having fried potatoes and sausage; baked pasta with spinach, lemon, and cheese; crispy chicken thighs; taco soup and more! For links and recipes, you can see my menu here:

My favorite thing to make for supper is BREAKFAST….glad to see that on your menu this week. We have it planned for one night this week too. Sometimes I make a breakfast casserole and fruit. Sometimes it’s scrambled eggs, ham or sausage, grits, etc. I’m from the South, so there’s nothing like a good Southern breakfast. I truly believe that Breakfast at Suppertime tastes much better than Breakfast in the morning.

Looks Yummy!!! Can I come over tomorrow for lunch? :) Salads are one of my favorites. I just had a taco salad for dinner- black beans, salsa, sour cream, tortilla chips, lettuce, mozz. cheese, tomato and mushrooms. So delicious.

7. Billene says

Thank you so much for the uncrustables idea, they are so pricey at the grocery, I hate to buy them. Now I can make as many as I want without spending so much money.

8. KC says

Crystal- I saw the recipe for uncrustables that you put a link to. I love that idea!
    We don’t really eat crutons, so I had another idea to use up the extra bread. Baked french toast!
    I know that you’ve made baked french toast before. My family loves it and would be a good use for the extra bread. Question for you or any of your readers: Have you ever made and frozen baked french toast? How do you freeze it (what do you wrap or store it in)? How does it taste thawed?
    Thanks!

• amy says

I tried my recipe recently. I baked it about 15-20 minutes shorter than the recipe called for, saran and foiled it when it had cooled a bit, then froze. To reheat/finish baking, I thawed it for about an hour (I didn’t want to break my Pyrex.). Then baked it about 45 minutes. It turned out okay, but the texture was mushier (is that a word) than usual. I think trying it this way was not so time saving, except in the prep.

9. Julie in IN says

Crystal, Is that a taco salad? It looks like craisins on the edges??

Has anyone made uncrustables with homemade bread? Does it fall apart?

I am cooking a double meal on Monday, Tuesday and Friday so I can have a night off on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday. Saturday we will enjoy something on the grill.

Tomatoes and peppers are finally ripening so I’m caning salsa this week. So glad to have pickles, relish and peaches done for the year.

love your meal plan and am thinking we will have to try the pumpkin scones here too! i love pumpkin season and all the yummy things we can make with pumpkin!

i know your family loves banana bread, so i thought i’d share the following recipe with you. raspberries are in season here for a little longer and this was such a huge hit with my hubby that he ate the first loaf in a day and i had to take the second one out of the freezer! i hope you try it! (also, i used a half pint of raspberries, which was more then the recipe called for, but i think it was the perfect amount)

11. Rebekah says

Your meal plans always impress me because while I love variety in my dinner menu, we eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch every single day!

Thanks for the great ideas. School started for my kiddos this week, I am going to make a freezer full of uncrustables this weekend. They all 3 love them, but I won’t buy them since they cost so much. I’ve made them before but also got frustrated by the waste. Now that I know what to do with the edges, I think I’ll try again. :0)

If anyone is interested, here is our menu plan for the week: http://supersavingsisters.blogspot.com/2011/08/menu-plans-more-balance.html

You’re not helping me hold back on the fall yummies with those pumpkin scones! I pinned those last week, and have been holding off on trying them because it’s still “summer” weather in Ohio. But, I might have to make an exception. I hope they turn out well for you. Your Cinnamon Sugar Scones are one of our favorites. We’re having breakfast for dinner this week, too :).

14. Ann says

Since one of my weekly goals is meal planning, here’s what I have planned for the week of menu’s. I’m focusing mostly on dinner and don’t have the full week planned out yet. Here is what I have so far:

Dinners:
    Sun: Stroghanoff, okra, peaches.
    Mon: Spaghetti and meatsauce, green beans, rolls, cucumbers.
    Tues: Pizza, chopped tomato and basil salad, fruit (this is our busy night).
    Wed: chicken (not sure yet how it’s prepared), beets, barley or rice, cucumbers.
    Thurs: Leftovers (probably mostly chicken)
    Fri: I haven’t got that far yet ( will figure it out after my trip to the store on Th)

Breakfaststs: pancakes, cereal, bacon, toast, oatmeal, fruit.

Lunches: In addition to a few school lunches, the kids will have PB &J, salami sandwiches, cheese and crackers, with fruit, cheezits, pretzels, yogurt. Need to work on healthy lunches on the go for myself.

Now that school is back on, I’m trying to schedule Thursdays off of work for me so that I can work on some household stuff including some cooking ahead. This Thursday what I’d like to accomplish: make muffins, baked oatmeal, plan the rest of the weeks menu. If time, make liquid soap from bar soap ( no lye soap for me just yet;)

15. Emily says

So glad you linked to the uncrustables recipe. I’ve been meaning to Google it and see if I could find any recipes. Has anyone ever tried to make the grilled cheese uncrustables? My son’s class at daycare is peanut free, so I can’t do the PB&J ones for him. He loves grilled cheese though, so that would be great if I could send him those. Maybe I’ll just have to try it and see how they turn out.

16. Lisa says

The pumpkin scones look really good:) This could be a dumb question but I was wondering how you do them for the freezer? Do you freeze them already baked with the icing? I really want to make a batch but unsure of the best way.
    Thanks