Comments

Agree! I think perhaps our government needs to go through Financial Peace University. :) We live in an amazing nation and I am so proud to live here, but at the same time I think we’ve gone down a dangerous path on the national and personal levels of spending money when we don’t actually have it.

2. Megan says

I agree with Jenae….FPU is a must. Or elect Dave Ramsey president, he’ll figure all the finances out…

I completely agree! If everyone thinks they can continue to spend money with no accountability and no goals, we’ll never get better! Teaching our children to be financially responsible is a necessity.

4. Amy says

So true and it must start with us. When we live it each and every day our children will grow up knowing how important it is. We talk about giving, savings, and spending all the time around here.

not just living on what they’ve got, but living on less than what they’ve got. you can live on what you have, but you should also think about the future, and saving for that, because who knows what the future holds, and you should hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

6. Mel N. says

All politics aside, our country has been in and come out of recessions before without a generation learning responsible money management.

• Dee says

True, but The Great Depression raised a generation of frugal people. I was raised by two of them. ;-)

I tell my 92-yr-old mother about some of the frugal ideas I read on this and similar blogs. It is what she talked about doing during the Depression and World War II. She is still frugal to this day.

The above statement is nice, but very simplistic. The US Government is much more complex than a home budget.

7. Asmith says

I agree that we need to live on less than we make.
    Technical recession itself way more complicated.
    Hopefully we will have growth before 20 years have passed.

8. Jen says

Amen! I hope personal finance is emphasized more in school. We have to change the way we think about money as a culture. We have changed the way our family thinks about money and it has made a huge difference!

9. Elizabeth says

… or until people in this country are willing to pay for the freedom and services that they enjoy.

10. Madelyn says

Things won’t permanently improve until we raise a generation that can speak up LOUDLY in defense of the poor, the elderly, and the ill… a generation that refuses to tolerate corporate malfeasance and irresponsible financial institutions… a generation that believes all people are equally important and equally responsible… a generation that knows corporations aren’t people… a generation that protects our Earth… a generation that demands honesty and economic justice.

Until that time, we will be at the mercy of the few wealthiest and most powerful, who don’t mind forcing others to suffer so they can keep it all to themselves.